The State of College Sports

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
In front of me sits a Christmas card I just got from the Iowa Barnstormers. It is actually signed by the owners and head coach Gregory. A simple gesture that lets me know I am appreciated as a fan, and for the peanuts I pay for season tickets. It made me feel great and valued.

After opening this I had an epiphany. I am growing sick of the major college sports. College sports is no longer about scholarship, the community, fans and tradition.

Keno Davis. Bates. Dirty recruiting. Reneging on committments. Bailing for the draft. Gene. It's about egos, money and getting mine. College football these days has the character of Terrell Owens.

I distinctly recall many in the media and on this board asking for understanding and patience as Gene Chizik was "building his program." These over paid head coaches aren't orphans or my little sister. I am not going to defend their honor or clamor for harmony and understanding in their predicament.

Chizik isn't my buddy and clearly I am a bigger fan of Iowa State football than he is. His actions speak volumes about what he feels about Ames, the ISU fans who packed the stadium or traveled away this year to watch two years of his fecal football endeavors. I would suggest to all of the Iowa State fans who read this post start treating these high-paid coaches for what they are; mercenaries who need to win. They are not your friends, and probably care less about the program than we do. Chizik didn't deserve the kid gloves, and in my opinion neither does his replacement.

These cornholes deserve every amount of pressure and demands for results that we as their fans can throw at them. They are paid to. We as fans are the immovable rock that Cyclone sports is built upon.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
College sports aren't for the love and spirit of the game. It's all about the $$$ these days.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Very good post. If they want the big money, then they need to deliver. We'll still be here long after they move on to "take care of their families future". Like making a cool $ 1 million a year isn't enough to do that many times over.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I honestly feel bad for the next coach that we hire, because the stunt that Chizik just pulled has shown me that having any loyalty to our coaches is a mistake. I now have no more patience, period. If you're going to get paid by my tuition dollars to coach my Cyclones on my field at my school, then you WILL build a good program, and I WILL see results immediately, you WILL win consistently and constantly, and you WILL go for the throat at EVERY opportunity be it in scoring or recruiting or publicity. If you do not fulfill these expectations, then I WILL kick your sorry butt out the door. I am absolutely done with this coaching bullcrap.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
"You think if your father couldn't pay his rent that Mickey Mantle would care? Would Mickey Mantle pay your rent? Mickey Mantle makes $200,000 a year--he don't care about you, why care about him? Nobody cares."