This loss is on all 3 units... like it or not

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is somewhat of a response to the "this loss is on the offense thread". While AA and Catlett made costly errors, let's not forget that the defense blew a 3rd and a mile and turned it into a freak TD, while the special teams failed to convert an EXTRA POINT. A freaking extra point.

My point is that it's a team game, and all 3 units of our football team made terrible, borderline pathetic errors that cost them the game. There is no reason to single out any particular player, unit, or group. Everyone showed flashes of greatness and everyone made mistakes at very critical junctures.

CPR is getting a lot out of these players, and I even think Herman is calling a good game. Two things to remember is A) it took Chase Clement a whole season to figure out what he was doing, and B) AA isn't getting anything out of WRs not named Marquis Hamilton or Jake Williams. A bowl game is pretty much down the toilet for this season, but we're on the right path.

PS, I never want to see another post about how Sed Johnson should be playing over Jake Williams. Kid has earned the job. Period.

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I agree with 99% of this...except this...

A bowl game is pretty much down the toilet for this season, but we're on the right path.

Call me optimistic, but there is still a lot of football left to be played this year. From watching other BigXII games and other games around the country, there have been more freak things happen this year in college football than any year in recent memory. I know for a fact that this team hasnt given up hope and I would hate to know how they would feel if they knew their fan base has given up hope.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree with 99% of this...except this...

Call me optimistic, but there is still a lot of football left to be played this year. From watching other BigXII games and other games around the country, there have been more freak things happen this year in college football than any year in recent memory. I know for a fact that this team hasnt given up hope and I would hate to know how they would feel if they knew their fan base has given up hope.

I haven't given up hope on this team in regards to improvement, being competitive, and winning a few more games. Of course 6 wins are still possible, but I don't feel it's likely. I think we win 5 (Baylor and CU), and if karma smiles on us, we could always steal another. I'll be there for every home game, and Lincoln (maybe) and College Station (definitely).

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
While you make good points, if the opportunities this O had were taken advantage of those other plays you point out would not have mattered.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
While you make good points, if the opportunities this O had were taken advantage of those other plays you point out would not have mattered.

And vice versa. It's a team loss. Period. Everybody made mistakes. Offense just as much as defense just as much special teams. Hell, the biggest screw up of a routine play in this game was special teams and it's not even close.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
As much as I would like to believe we are going bowling I just think we are too "young" to get there. Young in being 5 games into a new regime that took over a God awful football team. I am not into moral victories but I think we are playing more competitve football than in years past and have the proverbial hump to get over. I hope they prove me wrong and make it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This is somewhat of a response to the "this loss is on the offense thread". While AA and Catlett made costly errors, let's not forget that the defense blew a 3rd and a mile and turned it into a freak TD, while the special teams failed to convert an EXTRA POINT. A freaking extra point.

My point is that it's a team game, and all 3 units of our football team made terrible, borderline pathetic errors that cost them the game. There is no reason to single out any particular player, unit, or group. Everyone showed flashes of greatness and everyone made mistakes at very critical junctures.

CPR is getting a lot out of these players, and I even think Herman is calling a good game. Two things to remember is A) it took Chase Clement a whole season to figure out what he was doing, and B) AA isn't getting anything out of WRs not named Marquis Hamilton or Jake Williams. A bowl game is pretty much down the toilet for this season, but we're on the right path.

PS, I never want to see another post about how Sed Johnson should be playing over Jake Williams. Kid has earned the job. Period.

I put that one on the coaches. We should have brought pressure on that play and it never would have happened the way it did. I really think the coaches would like another shot at that one.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

I completely agree with this statement, Sed hasn't shown us anything this year

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Amazing how people forget that Sed got hurt in t0he first half of the first game...

The point isn't to bag on Sed, I just think that Jake Williams is playing really well and giving an unreal amount of hustle and pay off out there. I remember people saying last week how we need to quit screwing around w/him as a starter and get Johnson and Darks taking reps from him.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Amazing how people forget that Sed got hurt in t0he first half of the first game...

No kidding he's been hurt all season. Doesn't excuse the dropped pass, but still I definitely cut him slack for playing with the injury as he can't play the way he wants.

Edit: was just commenting on Sed, not Jake deservedly starting.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

Is he on the field? ARob is ripping off 45 yard runs hurt. Our "stable" of recievers is turning out to be M Robinson and guys recently off the practice squad.

Darks / Sed / Money was supposed to be an amazing core group. Money got something done before he season ending injury. The other two apparently have season ending injuries - they're just going to remain on the field.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The point isn't to bag on Sed, I just think that Jake Williams is playing really well and giving an unreal amount of hustle and pay off out there. I remember people saying last week how we need to quit screwing around w/him as a starter and get Johnson and Darks taking reps from him.
He is doing a nice job. But other people keep talking about how Darks and Johnson are disappointments, and ignore the fact that both have been hurt. Remember, through the preseason Darks was hampered by the same groin injury that ARob is now facing.

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa

Not to jump on SJ, but didn't Rhoads say something to the effect that it's not the players we don't get, but the ones we do get that don't do anything.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sorry, I have to disagree. This all goes on the offense IMO. Our defense wasn't perfect, but it was more than good enough for us to win by a couple TDs.

I don't know what the problem is with this offense, but they better figure it out... and QUICK! Our running game was still decent enough to win, even without ARob, but our passing game must be one of the worst in the country right now.

AA doesn't even resemble the guy that QB'd this team a year ago. He looks confused, lost, and his accuracy is gone. Is the offense that hard to grasp, are the WRs that bad at getting open, or is AA just not very good? I don't know, but it has to change for us to win another game this year.

I'm one of AA's biggest fans. I've met him twice, and he's one of the finest young men you could ever be fortunate to meet, but if he continues to struggle like this, then Herman won't have much other choice but to give Tiller some playing time IMO. It's not fair to Jerome, when a QB looks as bad as AA has, to not give him an opportunity.

The only reason we even scored on that last drive was because AA got bailed out twice with outstanding catches by Hamilton and finally Jake Williams on two poor throws.

We can be all "politically correct", and use coach speak and say we lost as a team, but we didn't. Burnham has this defense playing way above anyone's expectations... plain and simple. Herman has this offensive passing attack playing WAY below expectations. He needs to get it fixed. Don't be afraid to blame this loss where it should... on the offense. We were pathetic..... again.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida

I would just point out that there was another team on the field that contributed a lot to the outcome with their efforts. They beat us by 1 point. Their kicker, arguably one of the worst in the NCAA, scored 6 points including a 40 yard field goal. It was a good college football game. Unfortunately, on this day, K St was better than we were.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just can't put this all on the offense when the special teams screwed up one of the most routine plays in football at absolute crunch time.

tee1up

Dec 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a question for those who actually see the games. Listening on the radio, it seems like even when whe complete a pass it requires herculean effort by someone..a great catch, a throw in a perfect spot, etc. An example would be the last touchdown by Jake. He was completed blanketed by two defenders. It seems like when we run a 4 receiver set, plus have a pass catching tight end, and send a running back out, that there is no way everyone can be double covered. Someone simply has to be open. There are only two options..either we are throwing to the wrong guy, or our receivers just cannot get open. I'd appreciate any input.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We can be all "politically correct", and use coach speak and say we lost as a team, but we didn't. Burnham has this defense playing way above anyone's expectations... plain and simple. Herman has this offensive passing attack playing WAY below expectations. He needs to get it fixed. Don't be afraid to blame this loss where it should... on the offense. We were pathetic..... again.
It's not either "politically correct" or coachspeak. It's a fact. All three units had breakdowns. And if you want to rag on the offense, consider how many players are/have been injured, which I suspect (considering the gag rule on injuries) would include ARob, Money, Darius Darks, Sed and Collin Franklin. If you were to make a list of our top ten offensive players last July, that probably would have been five of them.

Maybe even more like five of our top six...:wideeyed:

Then there is the fact that it takes time to learn al the nuances of a complicated offense, something that isn't exactly helped when skill players are hurt...