Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa wbb hasn’t been irrelevant for years. Top 20 in attendance every year since 2010.

Yes I know ISU has been top 5 in that time. Congrats. Still doesn’t make Iowa irrelevant.

You didn't give two sh*ts about Iowa WBB before CC came along.... and you know it.

Iowa fans used to give ISU fans crap all the time about how much they loved ISU WBB. Iowa fans told us ALL the time that WBB didn't matter. Interesting how things have changed!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
BJK might be watching.

I see this as more of a problem. People don’t care about the sport, they just care about one person that’s transcending the sport. Not surprised to see a tennis player commenting on it because that’s exactly like tennis.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I see this as more of a problem. People don’t care about the sport, they just care about one person that’s transcending the sport. Not surprised to see a tennis player commenting on it because that’s exactly like tennis.
You see one person drawing in gobs of new viewers/fans to a previously mostly irrelevant sport as more of a problem than nobody drawing in no new viewers/fans to that same irrelevant sport?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You didn't give two sh*ts about Iowa WBB before CC came along.... and you know it.

Iowa fans used to give ISU fans crap all the time about how much they loved ISU WBB. Iowa fans told us ALL the time that WBB didn't matter. Interesting how things have changed!

I’ve followed the women’s team for as long as I’ve followed the men’s team. I listed to Brent Balbinot on pirated streams before they were on tv with any regularity.

And I don’t give a crap about what some randos say about wbb. Fact is attendance numbers don’t lie and Iowa has been top 20 for years.

And I’m curious as to who was talking **** about isu wbb attendance. That sounds completely made up.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You see one person drawing in gobs of new viewers/fans to a previously mostly irrelevant sport as more of a problem than nobody drawing in no new viewers/fans to that same irrelevant sport?

It’s not sticky. It’s great for now but when CC leaves the interest leaves. It’s a testament to CC more than anything. She’s the Serena of WBB.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It’s not sticky. It’s great for now but when CC leaves the interest leaves. It’s a testament to CC more than anything. She’s the Serena of WBB.
I hope not. I admit I paid basically zero attention to WBB up until the past few years, I seriously love watching the women's game, so much more about fundamentals, so much easier to get the know the characters of each team, it's a lot like women's college volleyball, which we watch all the time. Hope some of this sticks.

• Haha
Reactions: WartburgClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hope not. I admit I paid basically zero attention to WBB up until the past few years, I seriously love watching the women's game, so much more about fundamentals, so much easier to get the know the characters of each team, it's a lot like women's college volleyball, which we watch all the time. Hope some of this sticks.

I would say the thing to look at in this kind of situation is how it’s going to get this generation of 5-12 year old girls in to the sport. Thats the important part, not in viewership or casual fan interest.

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
Have you seen the NBA's list of all-time turnover leaders?

Yep - have you seen their Assist to turnover ratios? It's not below 2 to 1. You were trying to be sly and brag about her assist totals - turnovers go hand in hand with that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
There's a much bigger gap between CC and #2 in the assists per game category. :)
Stats don’t lie. Leads the nation in shot attempts per game and assists per game. Meaning the ball is always in her hands. Stats confirm :)

• Informative
Reactions: 1776

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Have you seen the NBA's list of all-time turnover leaders?
Yes. It’s a list of players who had 15+ years playing in the NBA. It’s not a very relevant data point. The longer your career, the more turnovers you will have.

A better metric will be turnovers per game or turnovers per minute played

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I would say the thing to look at in this kind of situation is how it’s going to get this generation of 5-12 year old girls in to the sport. Thats the important part, not in viewership or casual fan interest.
That still doesn’t sound like a problem