Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Most of that game last night was booooring. Not good ball movement, terrible shooting (they couldn’t even hit their free throws, I thought that was one of the big advantages of the women’s game) … if they hoped airing Indiana Fever games was going to blow up fan interest in the WNBA, they’re going to have to find better games than that.
This is widely accepted as fact, but it's not true. The % between men and women are almost identical.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I get that. I always suspected it was more brutal for non-Iowa fan Iowans. It's on all the podcasts we listen to, save for CF, KXNO, the local news, local and national commercials, bombards our social media feeds uninvited, and hell, we can't even shop for groceries hardly without running into a cardboard cut out of her.

Forgot to include all the 'woke' dudes wearing her #22 Iowa T-Shirts, as if we're going to forget she exists or something.
1715805617649.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cydkar and chadly82

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Most of that game last night was booooring. Not good ball movement, terrible shooting (they couldn’t even hit their free throws, I thought that was one of the big advantages of the women’s game) … if they hoped airing Indiana Fever games was going to blow up fan interest in the WNBA, they’re going to have to find better games than that.

Then there was this perhaps top 3-5 player in history of the sport simultaneously. 3rd straight MVP. Oh and zero turnovers and head to head vs Defensive Player of the Year. The full court pass without catching the ball is especially incredible.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I can respect that but at the same time there has never been a time in the history of existence where there have been more options to consume the content you want to. Podcasts, music, tv shows/movies at our fingertips, radio stations, e books, ect. I get it if you feel certain media jam it down your throat but there are so many more options out there.

Oh I definitely do those things, but I would like to be able to listen / watch local stuff as well in case ISU gets talked about or other sports news outside of her.

Reactions: ClubCy and Cyhig

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I’ve always maintained on here that she’s one of the best long range shooters I’ve seen, and an amazing passer too.

But she is not even close to the best all around women’s basketball player. Doesn’t play defense and has no mid range game to speak of.
Cost iowa the national championship last season with her lack of D, in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Local radio and tv won't let it end by talking about her every chance they take. I'm so tired of CC coverage being jammed down my throat. Murph and Andy now talk about the WNBA like they are experts. Hopefully once the WNBA season ends the coverage will die down but I'm not holding my breath.
channel 8 lead off the night last night with 5 minutes of coverage on her and all the people that watched the game in the bars. so it keeps coming

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have been waiting to see how she would produce against older, stronger and athletically faster women. About as I expected which was that she would struggle against the physicality. I did not anticipate the change in officiating which really allowed for more aggressive contact. I expect that she will adjust as time goes on but it may just come down to her adding muscle and gaining strength. I read something that there has only been two rookie WNBA players average 20 points in their rookie year so I use that as a standard. As far as I know she has never asked for all the overblown hype or have I seen or heard her make any negative Iowa State comments so I am neutral on the whole scene but the expectations by fans, media and corporations may not be in her best interest.
Her opening press conference when someone asked her about Tyrese she slammed ISU.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Local radio and tv won't let it end by talking about her every chance they take. I'm so tired of CC coverage being jammed down my throat. Murph and Andy now talk about the WNBA like they are experts. Hopefully once the WNBA season ends the coverage will die down but I'm not holding my breath.
Olympic coverage:rolleyes:

• Puke
Reactions: carvers4math

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How wild would it be if in an effort to get Caitlin back into the state of Iowa, the Fever continue to suck until the owner is forced to sell the team to some ownership group in Des Moines? Let's bring Caitlin home!
I'm guessing they would draw at least as well as the Iowa Wolves. That has to be a write off for the main organization.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Another hok I can put on ignore who can't stay off Cyclone message boards.
My posting history is exclusively pro Hawkeyes. I love them so much go Kirk Ferrets. I'm at a point in life where I enjoy watching sports and enjoy watching great players. A lot of criticism of Caitlin Clark is warranted but it's silly to not recognize her accomplishments.