Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The Fever's first 4 games are against two of the top 3 teams in the league. Might be a good thing for CC to start the season against the best of the best. Fever are pretty bad but they're really young, will be interesting to see how they do against the rest.
There are only 12 teams? 1/4 of your games will be against the top 3 teams.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Good game shooting, but TO's have been an issue in first 3 games (10/3/8). IMO giving away possessions is something that could reduce her chances of making an Olympic team.

When playing on a roster loaded with elite players, that's one thing that can be a game killer.
7 turnovers a game doesn't sound good

• Agree
Reactions: Jdk and Cyhig

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
She is third all time in turnovers for NCAA women's division one at 639 TO's for her college career. This is no aberration and should have been a cause for concern for the Fever. Iowa fans absolutely dismissed the issue and the Fever chose to ignore the trait as well...now to their own peril.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
She is third all time in turnovers for NCAA women's division one at 639 TO's for her college career. This is no aberration and should have been a cause for concern for the Fever. Iowa fans absolutely dismissed the issue and the Fever chose to ignore the trait as well...now to their own peril.
But,
But,
She can score…..

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Her production more than made up for the turnovers at the college level. Iowa got back to back title games without really having a loaded roster.

It is a question mark at next level though. Limiting the turnovers will probably reduce points/assists.

Luka Doncic was easily #1 in NBA in scoring/assists/points created, so it doesn't matter that he also lead the league with 4 turnovers a game. The guy is directly creating well over 50 points a game, 4 turnovers on that is a great deal.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They wanted ticket sales so they didn’t fully care.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Her production more than made up for the turnovers at the college level. Iowa got back to back title games without really having a loaded roster.

It is a question mark at next level though. Limiting the turnovers will probably reduce points/assists.

Luka Doncic was easily #1 in NBA in scoring/assists/points created, so it doesn't matter that he also lead the league with 4 turnovers a game. The guy is directly creating well over 50 points a game, 4 turnovers on that is a great deal.
It'll be interesting to see how she adjusts and what her TO numbers (current avg 7 per game) look like against regular teams when she's not going up against the best defenders in the league. She also needs to improve her shooting %. That said, her current avgs of 17 ppg, 6 asst and 4 rebounds against two of the best teams and defenses in the league is pretty solid.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It'll be interesting to see how she adjusts and what her TO numbers (current avg 7 per game) look like against regular teams when she's not going up against the best defenders in the league. She also needs to improve her shooting %. That said, her current avgs of 17 ppg, 6 asst and 4 rebounds against two of the best teams and defenses in the league is pretty solid.

She turned it over a lot in college against very average players... I'm not sure that she's going to solve that issue in the WNBA? But I guess we'll see?

It's still VERY early in her career obviously, so I'm sure she'll be fine... but I think we can tell from the short sample so far that she's likely going to go down as just another great WNBA player... but not the best ever... or the GOAT, etc, etc. She will just be on the level of all the other really good WNBA players in history. She was WAY overrated coming in. Her game is very limited.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
She turned it over a lot in college against very average players... I'm not sure that she's going to solve that issue in the WNBA? But I guess we'll see?

It's still VERY early in her career obviously, so I'm sure she'll be fine... but I think we can tell from the short sample so far that she's likely going to go down as just another great WNBA player... but not the best ever... or the GOAT, etc, etc. She will just be on the level of all the other really good WNBA players in history. She was WAY overrated coming in. Her game is very limited.
She's always tried forcing passes that aren't there or the passing lane closes faster than she thought or she overthrows her teammate. That's where she's going to need to adjust her game. She's still making really nice passes in the half court offense, she needs to rein in the long passes in transition IMO.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Cc looks like a person who spent 4 years being told jogging back on D while yapping at the refs is ok.

Whether or not she's been taught that or not.. she definitely does it.. WAY too much.

It's why I've always said that I would not want my daughter to imitate many aspects of CC's game. The not getting back on defense, the constant pouting and whining, and faking injuries are the main things. I would also have them work a lot more on developing a mid range game too. It's pretty evident watching CC that she practices chucking Steph Curry 3's most of the time. Her game consists of really long amazing 3's, and layups... that's it. Have you ever seen her post up a smaller guard? Or pull up on the break and hit a 15 ft jumper? I can't remember ever seeing her hit a shot between a layup and a 3.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Whether or not she's been taught that or not.. she definitely does it.. WAY too much.

It's why I've always said that I would not want my daughter to imitate many aspects of CC's game. The not getting back on defense, the constant pouting and whining, and faking injuries are the main things. I would also have them work a lot more on developing a mid range game too. It's pretty evident watching CC that she practices chucking Steph Curry 3's most of the time. Her game consists of really long amazing 3's, and layups... that's it. Have you ever seen her post up a smaller guard? Or pull up on the break and hit a 15 ft jumper? I can't remember ever seeing her hit a shot between a layup and a 3.
She did yesterday.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Fever looked pretty hapless aside from CC for much of the game, but in the 1st half the Liberty were on fire, shooting something like 75% from the field and made 12 three-pointers in the first half. That's a good team, Stewart is a force.

It all looked pretty hapless. It usually does any time I happen to see it on TV.