Top 100 college RBs of the last 60 years [ESPN+]

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Bill Connelly of ESPN ranked the Top 100 RBs since the end of the one-platoon era in the 1960s.

41. Troy Davis, Iowa State​

Years: 1994-96
Career stats: 4,382 rushing yards (5.6), 258 receiving yards (7.8), 37 TDs

Imagine how difficult it must have been to be the only big-time player on a team that would win just five games in two seasons. Opponents had to prepare to stop you and only you. Now imagine rushing for more than 2,000 yards and finishing in the Heisman top five twice on those teams. That's what Troy Davis did.

Looking at the list, I imagine Breece was close but just outside the top 100.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
These lists are so subjective...it's hard to critique them. Honestly, it would be almost impossible to do it justice if you were trying to sit down and do one yourself.

That said, it's hard to look at the Top 20 (maybe Top 15) and say Troy doesn't belong there. My guess is the author had someone put together some sort of weighted model that gave players extra points for winning a Heisman, and that knocked Troy down. As we all know, Troy should have won the Heisman in '96.

So probably can't really fault this guy. That's more on the sports writers back then.

**** Have to somewhat correct myself. I see 11 & 15 didn't win the Heisman. Some recency bias there on the author's part then perhaps (can't completely let him off the hook). Troy probably belongs somewhere in that space. Moving on.

Last edited: