Top 5 receivers....

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Now that Money is down, who comes into his place? In my mind our current healthy receivers go (in order):
Hamilton
Williams
Darks
S. Johnson
Lenz/Zitek
Jones

I wonder who gets the nod between Lenz and Zitek? Do we see some of Lonzie Range or Jason Carlson? IMO, it's time for Darks to step back up to last year's form and time for Sed Johnson to do something with that raw athleticism. Money seemed to be one of the more solid guys in this corps, and imo was outplaying everyone but Hamilton and Williams (save the last game). Finally, what is the possibility that we see Collin Franklin split out and made a bigger part of this offense? God knows he has the tools.

Last edited:

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
What is the deal with Carlson??? I dont even think the guy has seen the field yet. He was supposed to be a stud but I've heard he flat out doesn't care

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Big whoop. This guy supposedly has legitimate 4.45 speed but can't crack a two deep when we run 4 receiver sets. Something doesn't add up

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Is it Houston Jones or Jason Carlson thats academically ineligible?

Neither, Jones is trying to come back from a foot injury and Carlson had to wait out an academic issue for a time in August that has been cleared up for some time now.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Hamilton
Darks
Johnson
Williams
Catlett/Franklin
Lenz
Zitek

Not sure about Range. Wasn't he the scout teamer of the year, last year?

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
I think Jones should be almost back to full speed...He was nursing a really bad ankle sprain and had it in a boot for the NDSU game and was questionable for the Iowa game...I've seen him walking on campus with no sign of a limp. Hopefully this is a game where he can finally play at 100%

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I forgot how many random situations/injuries go into who plays and who doesn't.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
From what I have seen of Carlson, he has great straight line speed, but not very shifty and cant make a good cut or move to avoid a tackle...

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I think it is time for Darks and S Johnson to step up this year. They both appear to have the tools. 4 dependable receivers in a 5 receiver set is good enough....

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
I think it is time for Darks and S Johnson to step up this year. They both appear to have the tools. 4 dependable receivers in a 5 receiver set is good enough....

Agreed. Actually ISU grinding out 208 yds on the ground per game is the best since 2000 and 2001 seasons and we need to keep it going, so I hope all of them can block well. The receiver injurys and DB discontent scares me but I would be more scared if the OL was playing poorly and to this point so far so good.

I would focus on making sure the recievers can help get first downs in a short passing game that complements the run game. We will need more explosiveness when we face Kansas and that is where Darks and Johnson need to have huge games. KU has a pretty good run defense so we will needing to pass more.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Does it really matter who number 4 or 5 is for next week? How many times has AA progressed to the 4th or 5th read on anything?

We just need to run the hell out of it with ARob & Austin - throw to the tight end every 3 or 4 downs and go for the recievers only on 3 and very long. It's not our strong suit.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Does it really matter who number 4 or 5 is for next week? How many times has AA progressed to the 4th or 5th read on anything?

We just need to run the hell out of it with ARob & Austin - throw to the tight end every 3 or 4 downs and go for the recievers only on 3 and very long. It's not our strong suit.

A-Rob's long TD catch saturday. The 4th or 5th receiver isn't necessarily the 4th or 5th read on a given play. That's why we've had so many guys catching balls. Also, in a quick passing game, the point (sometimes) is that you don't go to through the reads, as in order to get rid of it quickly, you can't cycle through 5 guys. The porblem for AA is that he hasn't recognized it enough when the primary read isn't open. That's when you have to check down.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think Jones should be almost back to full speed...He was nursing a really bad ankle sprain and had it in a boot for the NDSU game and was questionable for the Iowa game...I've seen him walking on campus with no sign of a limp. Hopefully this is a game where he can finally play at 100%

Fantastic news.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron