Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So I guess Richmond joined a very long list of teams that managed to beat Iowa even though they aren't as good as Iowa. Hawk fans are cute.
I don't think Richmond was better than the Hawks as a whole, but they were when it mattered and that's all that really counts. Same way that I don't think Hampton was better than ISU.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
JJ Watt is from UW. At the end of the broadcast, the studio showed JJ's reaction to the game. It was an animated Gif of Michael Scott looking dejected. So, the woman announcer basically agreed with his sentiment about the game (i.e. disappointment at Wiscy losing). Not only that, she was the first one to "rebut" Huggy's take that the Cyclones deserved to win the game. She cited all these stats from the game after Chuckie went down. Some of those things might be true. However, she never took into consideration that the game was a virtual tie while Chuckie was playing, or that he had gotten beat already by Hunter on a few plays (unfortunately we missed the bunnies/didn't take advantage of it). We had far more close-to-the-rim shots that we missed compared to UW - but the topic of missed shots was not brought up by anyone except Huggs. ALL the other idiots should be fired for such horrible takes. You know none of them have watched a single Cyclone game this year, and only looked at the Cyclone's standings in the Big 12. They all arrogantly assumed that Johnny Davis would demolish the Cyclones. Even after the game, they all were drooling over him (except Huggs). GK made Davis look like a JV player - ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL! Oh well, the punishment for those dunces at TBS is that they are going to have to still cover the Cyclones - suck it TBS studio announcers!!

I took Candace Parker's comment to mean she felt the same as JJ Watt did about how she felt when Tennessee got beat. Only my interpretation but when I heard her make that comment that was my initial interpretation...kind of like "I know how you feel JJ".

That very well could be the case. However, before her "Same, JJ" comment, she had just finished trying to refute Huggs after he had given credit to ISU for winning. In fact, during the post-game, she made excuses for Wiscy every time she opened her mouth, And, for as glowingly she talked about J Davis's performance in this game, you would have thought that the two were dating. Yeah, he scored 17 points - but he shot a terrible percentage. His FTs were what allowed him to get into double-figures. GK had an all-around outstanding game - that is what the topic should have been. He had steals, forced Davis into making uncomfortable shots, shot lights out & made play after play after play. If you didn't know anything about the teams or about these two players, you would immediately pick GK to be on your team after watching the game. You might have chosen Davis if you wanted to make FT shots - but that is it. I am not saying that GK is a better overall player - but he was "on" that night, & deserved some major props by that totally clueless crew.

They hated hugs. Most of the time he looked at them like, can you be that dumb and ignorant?

Seth Davis was certainly intimidated by Huggins' presence!
The whole studio composition is strange to me. I recognize Candace Parker and Seth Davis, and am generally familiar with the guests they've had on so far (Huggins, Martin etc). In general I feel like Candace knows her stuff and is probably the best one on the booth in terms of analyzing the games. Not sure what her bias against ISU is, but probably just because we don't have an A-list talent on the team. Anyone with eyes watching the game could tell you Johnny Davis struggled that evening.

Seth Davis has always been a pompous buffoon, I never take anything he says seriously. Rex Chapman is, well, at least a snappy dresser if nothing else. Struggled to stay awake whenever he or Huggy try to say anything. I couldn't even tell you the name of the middle guy, who I think is the 'host'.

The only problem I have with Huggy is him wearing his WVU pullover on the set. I don't think people need to see the shirt to know who you are, Bob. I also don't think he really wants to be there but must be getting paid enough for him to show up and grunt out a few sentence fragments every 5 minutes or so.

All in all just terrible chemistry in this group. TBS/Turner or whoever comprised this group must not have screened them or conducted enough interviews to see if it could work or not. I miss Shaq, Barkley, and Ernie Johnson. Get those 3 guys back and throw Candace Parker in with them and you'd have a winning formula IMO.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I don't think Richmond was better than the Hawks as a whole, but they were when it mattered and that's all that really counts. Same way that I don't think Hampton was better than ISU.
Pardon my eye roll, but that's what I always heard from the Iowa fans back when Iowa State was beating Iowa regularly in football. I'm just amused by the fact that the scoreboard settles every argument, unless your argument is with an Iowa fan.

Reactions: Acylum

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pardon my eye roll, but that's what I always heard from the Iowa fans back when Iowa State was beating Iowa regularly in football. I'm just amused by the fact that the scoreboard settles every argument, unless your argument is with an Iowa fan.
The NCAA tournament isn't about who had a better season / resume. What matters is who's better that day. Sure, Iowa State would likely beat that Hampton team 9 times out of 10, but it doesn't matter. Iowa would not beat that Richmond team 9 times out of 10. Probably 6-7 times out of 10. Richmond was a veteran squad with solid guards and made Iowa work for every single shot. Those types of teams have given Iowa fits all year long.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So in your mind there is no such thing as an upset?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The NCAA tournament isn't about who had a better season / resume. What matters is who's better that day. Sure, Iowa State would likely beat that Hampton team 9 times out of 10, but it doesn't matter. Iowa would not beat that Richmond team 9 times out of 10. Probably 6-7 times out of 10. Richmond was a veteran squad with solid guards and made Iowa work for every single shot. Those types of teams have given Iowa fits all year long.
I think Iowa's biggest problem was that they came in way too confident. Iowa had played and beat much better guards than what Richmond brought to the table. They were everyone's media darling, just won the BTT and came in flat and got bounced. That is on Fran and the players.

Reactions: CyNews

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
So in your mind there is no such thing as an upset?
Sure there is. An upset is when one team who's thought to be better than the other team gets beat by the other team. However, it's head to head competition that decides who's actually better.

For example, take last year's CyHawk football game. Going into the game, Vegas favored Iowa State. And as shown below, Iowa State led Iowa pretty convincingly in the meaningful statistics. Unfortunately, those meaningful statistics included turnovers, and Iowa State had 4 vs 0 for Iowa.

Given that turnover margins have a large degree of randomness to them, someone using your logic would conclude that Iowa State was just unlucky that day and they actually have the better football team. Do you concede that Iowa State was the better team last season?

1648156446164.png

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Sure there is. An upset is when one team who's thought to be better than the other team gets beat by the other team. However, it's head to head competition that decides who's actually better.

For example, take last year's CyHawk football game. Going into the game, Vegas favored Iowa State. And as shown below, Iowa State led Iowa pretty convincingly in the meaningful statistics. Unfortunately, those meaningful statistics included turnovers, and Iowa State had 4 vs 0 for Iowa.

Given that turnover margins have a large degree of randomness to them, someone using your logic would conclude that Iowa State was just unlucky that day and they actually have the better football team. Do you concede that Iowa State was the better team last season?

View attachment 97175
Of course not. Turnovers in football are a huge part of the game. Iowa values the ball and defense. ISU played a very sloppy game. Iowa won the head to head, had a better season and finished ranked.

Also, those stats are so misleading. Iowa sat on the ball for the last quarter in a half and used a prevent defense for the 4th quarter.

I think ISU was probably the better team than WVU last year and probably Texas Tech though. Though those weren't huge upsets by any means, I feel ISU was probably better than those teams.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Of course not. Turnovers in football are a huge part of the game. Iowa values the ball and defense. ISU played a very sloppy game. Iowa won the head to head, had a better season and finished ranked.

Also, those stats are so misleading. Iowa sat on the ball for the last quarter in a half and used a prevent defense for the 4th quarter.

I think ISU was probably the better team than WVU last year and probably Texas Tech though. Though those weren't huge upsets by any means, I feel ISU was probably better than those teams.
So Iowa was far worse than Purdue and Wisconsin, like they didn’t even belong on the same field with them. We don’t even need to talk about Michigan.

Glad you agree

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I think Iowa's biggest problem was that they came in way too confident. Iowa had played and beat much better guards than what Richmond brought to the table. They were everyone's media darling, just won the BTT and came in flat and got bounced. That is on Fran and the players.
There is definitely some truth to that. It's debatable if it was their biggest problem.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't stand Bobo and Connor but they're right--this is across the board for how college athletes are depicted/treated online.

CF has a few posters that fit in this group.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969