Traveling to Cancun - with a felon

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Figured I would pose this question on here to see if anyone in here has seen/done something similar. We have booked a trip to Cancun this coming December for a group of 8 of us. One person in the party has a felony on their background. I've been reading horror stories on trip advisor, apparently the US government now shares more background data with Mexico and some travelers get turned away once they get into customs in Mexico. (having to book a new flight home immediately and not being allowed to enter the country)

He's in a spot where he can apply and get approved for a passport (there are only a couple offenses that prevent you from applying for passport). But even with that you don't know if you will be allowed to enter until you get through customs once landing in Cancun. I've tried even reaching out to the Mexican Embassy in the US to see if there is anywhere he could go for an interview prior to the trip to ensure his entry into the country; and they just state that Mexico does reserve the right to turn away travelers with a violent background.

At this point I'm trying to convince that portion of the party that we should not take the risk and fill their spot with another friend - but just curious if anyone else has ran into something like this and either been fine or turned away once into the other country? TIA!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
That's a tough one. If it was me I wouldn't chance it, or if he does go he should be prepared to not enter. And the title should read felon, not felony. ;)

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
THISGONBGUD.gif

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure. But would not be surprised if a Felon is denied entry to Mexico.

Especially with our President's response to Mexico and our present relationship.

I have heard that Mexico has agreed to pay for ALL expenses.......not for the Wall......but for the Impeachment of Trump.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The only other things you can do are calling the American embassy in Mexico or trying the Mexican embassy again and asking what the chances are that he'll get stopped. The Mexican embassy might not want to do an interview, but they or the American embassy might be able to say whether the felony is one that will likely get him stopped or not

Reactions: salennon07

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I can ensure it isn't me with the felony - I've fixed the title :p The honest reason for my concern is the trip is booked entirely with my hotel points.... so one of my friends is bringing their boyfriend who has the felony. I just feel bad telling them no, don't bring them since i invited them and a friend - but since they are my points I'd rather see them actually be used instead of the other person being turned away and I "paid" for an all inclusive trip that isn't going to be used.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Farnsworth

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I can ensue it isn't me with the felony - I've fixed the title :p The honest reason for my concern is the trip is booked entirely with my hotel points.... so one of my friends is bringing their boyfriend who has the felony. I just feel bad telling them no, don't bring them since i invited them and a friend - but since they are my points I'd rather see them actually be used instead of the other person being turned away and I "paid" for an all inclusive trip that isn't going to be used.

I wouldn't chance it. I'd also include a picture of your friend and see if there are any people on CF willing to accompany her on a free trip to Mexico.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Who exactly did you call? I was going to say try Mexican Consulate General in Chicago.

It may depend on the offense and any continuing court supervision.

• Informative
Reactions: salennon07

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Who exactly did you call? I was going to say try Mexican Consulate General in Chicago.

It may depend on the offense and any continuing court supervision.

Just dug through my email and it was actually the US embassy in Mexico city! So I'll try what you recommended, thanks!

Reactions: carvers4math

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
I wouldn't chance it. I'd also include a picture of your friend and see if there are any people on CF willing to accompany her on a free trip to Mexico.

Hmm...accompanying a woman to Mexico while her ex-con boyfriend stays behind in the United States. I'm not that smart and even I don't think that is a good idea...

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
A thoughtful gift to the officials at the Mexican border might help things along. Scented candle, bottle of wine ... cash, perhaps ...