Trent Condon

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Props to the Kickin' It podcast for some unabashed Hawkeye hate. GM has exceeded expectations on that podcast, seems like a chill dude that just brings heat for the clones. It's fun getting a mix with the more level headed journalist takes.

Edit: I'm not sure why I posted in this threaded, apparently it popped in my head while reading this.
Not sure either, but glad you did, and I agree 100%. Even more than that if mathematically possible. Brent gets a barb in there every now and then, but CW likes to sit on the fence a lot since he grew up a Hawk fan and has to at least come off as impartial due to his Iowa Everywhere affiliation. Love it when on a CYCLONE FANATIC podcast, guys just jump off the top rope on the Hawks, as they should.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I'm still pissed about the KSU picked up flag debacle in 2017.

Only saving grace is that ISU had opportunities to not even let that be a problem (continuing to run the ball since KSU had one TO left).

I also don't think it got the attention this one is getting and this one is much less controversial since they just simply got the call right.
Nobody had seen anything like that before, haven't seen anything like it since, and will never see anything like it in the future. I am like Blum when it comes to officials, I think they do a fine job and everybody makes mistakes but that was the ONE game where I legitimately thought their was money on the line for those refs. Also throw in the no false start call on the game winning throw

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Nobody had seen anything like that before, haven't seen anything like it since, and will never see anything like it in the future. I am like Blum when it comes to officials, I think they do a fine job and everybody makes mistakes but that was the ONE game where I legitimately thought their was money on the line for those refs. Also throw in the no false start call on the game winning throw
The refs picking up those PI flags still don't make sense to me.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Still to this day I don't think I ever been as upset at a game situation then when this happened. I legit thought I was going to stroke out.
After that game, I stepped out of the house and screamed/yelled for about 5 minutes. Luckily it was at my parent's farm so didn't have to worry about neighbors.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Still to this day I don't think I ever been as upset at a game situation then when this happened. I legit thought I was going to stroke out.

Jeremiah George's forced fumble at the 1 yard line against TX and the Blarge heard around the world are the only two plays in my years as a Cyclone Fan that pissed me off more than those picked up flags.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
I was seriously worried a riot was going to break out in the 2013 Kansas game at Hilton. The KU player finishing the OT with a steal and dunk when ISU was simply dribbling out till the end was nasty!

Reactions: exCYtable

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Same. I still get mad thinking about it. They knew that call ended the game, got together and just decided to pick it up and give the Vampire another chance. The PI couldn't have been more obvious. (and yes I realize that was the 2nd!!! flag that had gotten picked up)

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
One of my favorite recent Condon moments was him pretending to not know Haliburton was an All-Star.

He claimed to have watched the game but didn't know about a player who scored 18 points. His co-host was just dumbfounded and he kept digging in.
They do not know the NBA.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We were having Thanksgiving at my in-laws, and they aren’t really ISU fans. My FIL was as worked up as I was, and he goes “I see why you think the refs are out to get you”.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
They do not know the NBA.

One of my favorite recent Condon moments was him pretending to not know Haliburton was an All-Star.

He claimed to have watched the game but didn't know about a player who scored 18 points. His co-host was just dumbfounded and he kept digging in.
I actually caught that segment live (before the all star game), he even went as far as saying (verbatim): Iowa looks to be the only tie to the All Star weekend here in Iowa (I believe K. Murray was in the rising stars game on Friday or something).

Miller quickly mentioned Haliburton is an All-Star. Condon followed with a (verbatim) "Really, just in the 3 point contest?". He had no clue Haliburton was a legit All-Star selection.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
We were having Thanksgiving at my in-laws, and they aren’t really ISU fans. My FIL was as worked up as I was, and he goes “I see why you think the refs are out to get you”.
I was also watching at my in laws and my wife and BIL still give me **** about my reaction lol.

Reactions: cyfreddy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jeremiah George's forced fumble at the 1 yard line against TX and the Blarge heard around the world are the only two plays in my years as a Cyclone Fan that pissed me off more than those picked up flags.
The Jeremiah George thing was pretty fresh in my mind when the Cooper Dejean play and aftermath unfolded Saturday. One of the two big differences in those two scenarios is the refs blew the play dead on Iowa State and George, where they actually allowed Dejean to run it all the way back. The other big difference is there is really no rule for the refs to lean back on in the George/ISU situation like they did in the Dejean/Iowa one. I guess you could maybe argue that Iowa State had stopped the Texas RB's forward progress...MAYBE. Not sure we ever got an explanation on that though.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Same. I still get mad thinking about it. They knew that call ended the game, got together and just decided to pick it up and give the Vampire another chance. The PI couldn't have been more obvious. (and yes I realize that was the 2nd!!! flag that had gotten picked up)
There were actually 4 flags picked up in that game, all would have gone against K-State. As someone else mentioned....never seen anything like it before or since, and I watch a ton of football from all levels. Also missed a false start against a K-State receiver on the same play that he caught a TD!

I still think the refs believed Snyder was retiring after that game and they wanted to send him out with a win. No one will change my mind on that. And then he didn't retire, of course.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Could someone remind me what each apology letter is for? Thank you
KU: Niang charge/block
Ohio st: Aaron craft charge/block
Texas: two texas fumbles at the goal line at the end where the refs called the play dead by forward progress.
K State: picked up flags and non-call false start.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrocks

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
KU: Niang charge/block
Ohio st: Aaron craft charge/block
Texas: two texas fumbles at the goal line at the end where the refs called the play dead by forward progress.
K State: picked up flags and non-call false start.
It is not being paranoid if you think the world is out to get you if it is true

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone