MLB: Twins Trade Aaron Hicks

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
To NYY for catcher John Ryan Murphy.

Guess Sano to the OF might actually be more than just a bluff for leverage in Plouffe trade talks.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Saw that. Hicks was up and down for me.

Nice work starting a new off-season thread

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
To NYY for catcher John Ryan Murphy.

Guess Sano to the OF might actually be more than just a bluff for leverage in Plouffe trade talks.

I hate trading anyone to the Yankees unless I feel like we are getting an absolute steal.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hopefully Murphy can be a quality starting catcher. There was a logjam in the OF. Hopefully this means Kepler is almost ready and they expect Arcia to bounce back.

I think an OF rotation of Rosario-Buxton-Kepler-Arcia could be great in a couple years.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Hopefully Murphy can be a quality starting catcher. There was a logjam in the OF. Hopefully this means Kepler is almost ready and they expect Arcia to bounce back.

I think an OF rotation of Rosario-Buxton-Kepler-Arcia could be great in a couple years.

I like where you're headed there, but no way Arcia enters that equation. He occasionally crushed an HR, but he was a major detriment in the field, strikes out a ton, and isn't a real heady player, either. I'd be shocked if we see him in Target Field again.

They'll never do it, but my plan would put Mauer back at catcher where he can add some value (still way overpaid), put Plouffe/Sano at 1st/3rd (or vice versa). Then, could play Hicks in RF - or Kepler if ready. Would be a great defensive OF. Twins will always let Joe do whatever he wants, despite being way overpaid.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I like where you're headed there, but no way Arcia enters that equation. He occasionally crushed an HR, but he was a major detriment in the field, strikes out a ton, and isn't a real heady player, either. I'd be shocked if we see him in Target Field again.

They'll never do it, but my plan would put Mauer back at catcher where he can add some value (still way overpaid), put Plouffe/Sano at 1st/3rd (or vice versa). Then, could play Hicks in RF - or Kepler if ready. Would be a great defensive OF. Twins will always let Joe do whatever he wants, despite being way overpaid.

Pretty sure you didn't mean Hicks here! I agree with you on Mauer. I hate to see his bat taking away the slugger spot at first. If he were providing something else defensively, I actually don't mind what he brings to the batting order. I also know if will never happen, but I'd be interested to see what he'd do behind the plate if given the chance. I'm guessing his knees wouldn't take it, but he was a helluva catcher .

I'd be happy with Rosario, Buxton and Kepler in the outfield. That would mean Kepler is ready. I'm not ready to give up on Arcia yet, though. I think he still has promise.

How is Sano in the field? Is he pretty interchangeable at third with Plouffe? An upgrade?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Let's just hope Mauer bounces back and hits closer to 300....I don't see it, but that position needs more production badly.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'd guess the Yankees are gearing up to deal Gardner.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
couldn't we get like 5 good players for Mauer's Salary alone? Disappointed :(

Baseball contracts are jacked up in general. At the time, the Twins didn't want him going to the Yankees so they shelled out money. However, that was when they were winning and people would have been ****** if he got away.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

I don't think team brass is too hopeful for this, honestly. Even without Arcia, there's a lot of promise for the outfield. I'd have liked to see Hicks stay with the Twins, though...they've had a tendency to trade promising OF away lately (Span, Hicks, Revere) and it'd be nice to see them keep one for their prime (pretty sure Buxton is untouchable at least).

Murphy looks like a wild swinger who strikes out a lot (who doesn't these days), but nobody can deny that catcher was a huge need with Suzuki's inconsistency and Pinto fizzling out.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Baseball contracts are jacked up in general. At the time, the Twins didn't want him going to the Yankees so they shelled out money. However, that was when they were winning and people would have been ****** if he got away.

Joe graduated one year ahead of me. At the time the twins were doing well in the central, opening a new ball park, just had the most productive hitting-catcher of all time win the MVP, and he was from st paul. Joe is not a money-hungry guy but he is also not dumb. every single thing about his contract lined up in his favor without him needing to say a word. the twins paid what the market would have brought. joe would have accepted a hometown discount but they didn't ask. or if they did it was not relaid to him.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I don't think team brass is too hopeful for this, honestly. Even without Arcia, there's a lot of promise for the outfield. I'd have liked to see Hicks stay with the Twins, though...they've had a tendency to trade promising OF away lately (Span, Hicks, Revere) and it'd be nice to see them keep one for their prime (pretty sure Buxton is untouchable at least).

Murphy looks like a wild swinger who strikes out a lot (who doesn't these days), but nobody can deny that catcher was a huge need with Suzuki's inconsistency and Pinto fizzling out.

Yankees have Sanchez who will fill in Murphy's role. Yankees win the trade if they git rid of Gardner.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yanks have some catchers in the minors they need to find space for or trade. Looks like they are finding space by trading Murphy who I like quite a bit. He played very well for the Yanks but was just not going to get much time behind McCann or with them trying to find a sport of Sanchez. Personal take is I think he might be better than the more highly regarded prospects he passed to get to the majors.

As a Yank fan I am kinda meh on Hicks but he is young and maybe a change of place will help him. He does hit lefties well and Yanks were seeing tons of them this last year because they didn't hit lefties worth a **** especially in the second half.

Might end up being a win-win for both players.

PS: Best trade the Yanks did not make in the last 10 years is not getting Mauer as was rumored back when he was a star catcher. Jeez, the guy has turned into a major roadblock for the Twins in their lineup. Jillion dollar hometown player that plays just okay 1st base and doesn't hit for average or power.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Joe graduated one year ahead of me. At the time the twins were doing well in the central, opening a new ball park, just had the most productive hitting-catcher of all time win the MVP, and he was from st paul. Joe is not a money-hungry guy but he is also not dumb. every single thing about his contract lined up in his favor without him needing to say a word. the twins paid what the market would have brought. joe would have accepted a hometown discount but they didn't ask. or if they did it was not relaid to him.

Yah, I don't blame Mauer at all for talking the money. I never had the impression that this quiet local guy was going to leave Minnesota just for a bigger paycheck, that was on the Twins. Nobody would be saying anything if he still hit the way he used to. Most people thought not catching would bump him back to his glory years but not so the last couple of years and he was apparently healthy in 2015 and had over 600 plate appears this year.

Maybe he can rally next year. Hell, who thought a 40-year old A-Rod would hit 33 homers this year.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Yankees have Sanchez who will fill in Murphy's role. Yankees win the trade if they git rid of Gardner.

I don't see how the Yankees having a replacement catcher on their roster means they "win" (or lose) the trade...aren't trades evaluated straight-up by comparing the player(s) you traded away to the player(s) you received?