Twister Sister Special - Part II Interview with Cyclone Great Heather Ezell!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here's Part II of my interview with Wyoming Head Coach Heather Ezell!

11. * While at Iowa State what was your favorite away venue to play at?

Favorite away venue was Municipal Auditorium during the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. I was able to have so many family and friends at those games and to be able to break some records made it all the better.

12. * Share a funny story about a teammate that never was publicly told (you don’t have to name them!)

A teammate and I would stay up until at least 2-3am on the road nights before games playing super Nintendo. I always traveled with my super Nintendo in college and we would stay up late usually playing tetris.

13. * Where is the weirdest place you were ever recognized?

At a farmers market in Steamboat Springs

14. * Was there any opposing player that you genuinely liked and/or respected more than others?

Honestly I respected a lot of players in the Big 12. Playing for the USA Jones Cup team the summer before my Junior year gave me the opportunity to to get to know a lot of fellow Big 12 players and after the experience I really respected all those players I got to play with (Jackie McFarland Colorado, Leah Rush Oklahoma , Jhasmin Player Baylor , Rachel Allison Baylor, LaToya Micheaux Texas A&M).

15. * Did you talk trash? If yes, what was your go-to?

I did not, I was more player that showed emotion after we made a really good play. I was the hype man!

16. As your career at Iowa State began to wind down, when did you start to think coaching was something you wanted to do? What type of things influenced that decision making?

Since high school I knew I wanted to be a coach, I was unsure at that time what level that would be at but by my senior year I knew it was at the college level. I wanted to make the same impacts on athletes lives like my coaches made on my life. I want to give athletes the opportunity to do something special and something very few get the opportunity to do. And lastly I wanted to give athletes the opportunity to graduate from college while doing something they loved.

17. You’ve been the head coach at Wyoming for a couple of years now. How would you describe your experience as a head coach so far and what are you looking forward to in future years?

I have been so blessed to be at Wyoming for the past 9 years. I was able to work my way up the ladder here and get the opportunity to take over a very successful and well respected program. It was an easy transition in the big picture because I wasn’t coming into a whole new place as a first time head coach. I already knew the players, the other coaches and the administration. The biggest adjustment was calling the shots. I think at first I second guessed myself earlier but now as I finish year 2 I am very confident in the decisions we make as a program and where we are going in the future. Our goal is to win championships here and I have no doubt we will do that sooner than later.

18. How has becoming a parent changed your life view? Has it made it tougher/different to balance work/home?

Oh my gosh, where do I ever start. Becoming a parent has changed everything, I am more aware of different emotions and situations that might affect my family or someone else’s family. It was tough to balance at first as I never wanted to miss some milestone as a parent but as time does, things have gotten easier and I have figured out that balance.

15. If you had one message to share with the Iowa State fan base, what would it be?

THANK YOU. My 4 years at Iowa State was nothing short of amazing because of the fans that supported us night in and night out. Walking in to a restaurant or grocery store in Ames and having numerous people stop you and just talk basketball was so awesome.

That’s a wrap! I feel blessed that I have a fan’s connection with Coach Ezell and the willingness she and other former players have to share their stories. Coach Ezell is another great example of the influence a good college experience can have on success in life. I wish her and her team all the best in continuing their success on and off the court.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Here's Part II of my interview with Wyoming Head Coach Heather Ezell!

11. * While at Iowa State what was your favorite away venue to play at?

Favorite away venue was Municipal Auditorium during the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. I was able to have so many family and friends at those games and to be able to break some records made it all the better.

12. * Share a funny story about a teammate that never was publicly told (you don’t have to name them!)

A teammate and I would stay up until at least 2-3am on the road nights before games playing super Nintendo. I always traveled with my super Nintendo in college and we would stay up late usually playing tetris.

13. * Where is the weirdest place you were ever recognized?

At a farmers market in Steamboat Springs

14. * Was there any opposing player that you genuinely liked and/or respected more than others?

Honestly I respected a lot of players in the Big 12. Playing for the USA Jones Cup team the summer before my Junior year gave me the opportunity to to get to know a lot of fellow Big 12 players and after the experience I really respected all those players I got to play with (Jackie McFarland Colorado, Leah Rush Oklahoma , Jhasmin Player Baylor , Rachel Allison Baylor, LaToya Micheaux Texas A&M).

15. * Did you talk trash? If yes, what was your go-to?

I did not, I was more player that showed emotion after we made a really good play. I was the hype man!

16. As your career at Iowa State began to wind down, when did you start to think coaching was something you wanted to do? What type of things influenced that decision making?

Since high school I knew I wanted to be a coach, I was unsure at that time what level that would be at but by my senior year I knew it was at the college level. I wanted to make the same impacts on athletes lives like my coaches made on my life. I want to give athletes the opportunity to do something special and something very few get the opportunity to do. And lastly I wanted to give athletes the opportunity to graduate from college while doing something they loved.

17. You’ve been the head coach at Wyoming for a couple of years now. How would you describe your experience as a head coach so far and what are you looking forward to in future years?

I have been so blessed to be at Wyoming for the past 9 years. I was able to work my way up the ladder here and get the opportunity to take over a very successful and well respected program. It was an easy transition in the big picture because I wasn’t coming into a whole new place as a first time head coach. I already knew the players, the other coaches and the administration. The biggest adjustment was calling the shots. I think at first I second guessed myself earlier but now as I finish year 2 I am very confident in the decisions we make as a program and where we are going in the future. Our goal is to win championships here and I have no doubt we will do that sooner than later.

18. How has becoming a parent changed your life view? Has it made it tougher/different to balance work/home?

Oh my gosh, where do I ever start. Becoming a parent has changed everything, I am more aware of different emotions and situations that might affect my family or someone else’s family. It was tough to balance at first as I never wanted to miss some milestone as a parent but as time does, things have gotten easier and I have figured out that balance.

15. If you had one message to share with the Iowa State fan base, what would it be?

THANK YOU. My 4 years at Iowa State was nothing short of amazing because of the fans that supported us night in and night out. Walking in to a restaurant or grocery store in Ames and having numerous people stop you and just talk basketball was so awesome.

That’s a wrap! I feel blessed that I have a fan’s connection with Coach Ezell and the willingness she and other former players have to share their stories. Coach Ezell is another great example of the influence a good college experience can have on success in life. I wish her and her team
all the best in continuing their success on and off the court.
The elephant in the room is how she stacks up in success and experience to be HC at a bigger institution of higher NIL knowledge?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Thanks for posting this interview! We've been friends with Heather for a long time (she was in our wedding party and we attended her wedding, too). It's been fun following her as a professional player, assistant coach, and now head coach, as well as her years at ISU. Seeing her continued success is gratifying. Heather has shown a lot of people what you can do and who you can be if you just set your mind to it. Truly a great Cyclone, great coach, and great friend. :)

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Thanks for posting this interview! We've been friends with Heather for a long time (she was in our wedding party and we attended her wedding, too). It's been fun following her as a professional player, assistant coach, and now head coach, as well as her years at ISU. Seeing her continued success is gratifying. Heather has shown a lot of people what you can do and who you can be if you just set your mind to it. Truly a great Cyclone, great coach, and great friend. :)
Yeah…she’s an awesome person and is headed in the right direction as a coach. I feel very humbled that she allows a smuck like me to do an interview.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I remember her HS championship in 2005 when Kickapoo beat Lee’s Summit, where my son was a senior. LS had a good group of seniors that had done well since junior high. A couple of them went on to play for an NAIA championship. They also had a sophomore by the name of Danielle Adams, who of course, went on to win a NCAA championship at aTm. Heather was already signed to ISU, so I watched her with interest. She was the energizer bunny for her team and led the way to the championship.

One of her teammates on that team is also a coach. She played for Drury then won multiple Div. II championships as their coach. I think she is now coaching Grand Canyon U.