UCONN vs Purdue Championship Thread

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Hurley is a weirdo and annoying but people complaining him being CoY are clueless. They have good players but they aren’t destroying teammates on talent. That offense is a machine. The shot selection, patience, motion without the ball, decision making is just perfection. There are games where shots don’t fall but holy hell what a chore guarding that offense is.
SIAP, but Bill Murray's son (yes, that Bill Murray) is an assistant on the staff and supposedly the mastermind behind that offense.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Purdue was just overmatched physically. I think Houston would have been a much better matchup if they were fully healthy. When I watched the KU -UCONN game earlier in the year the biggest thing KU did to disrupt their actions was switch every spot but the 5. It takes good communication but it also really prevents them from running alot of their stuff. They only stayed in that game because Tristan Newton went nuclear.

It is crazy to me that UCONN got Clingan to come back. He would have been picked in the 20's last year. This is also another example of how big of deal the extra year was for a lot of people. Both Newton and Spencer were using their covid year. What does UCONN look like without those two? glad the covid year effects are about to be done.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
SIAP, but Bill Murray's son (yes, that Bill Murray) is an assistant on the staff and supposedly the mastermind behind that offense.

He was pretty active at Xavier as well.

I remember Bill being at our game vs Xavier 2 seasons ago (technically 3 seasons ago), that must have been why. I was watching the game at a bar and couldn't hear tv crew.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, the Murray thing is interesting. UConn is interesting in that they were absolutely a defense-oriented team a couple years ago and have really transitioned to recruiting around offense and expending more energy and movement on offense.

They were not Virginia or anything, but I would say they were similar to ISU this year in approach. A decent offensive team, but they didn't run a ton of stuff or actions, locked teams down defensively.

This year they are one of the most active offensive teams off the ball. It's insane how much they work to get guys open and in the right matchups. And their shot selection and patience is crazy good.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think Murray's kid was at Louisville as an assistant for awhile. I remember seeing him in Des Moines when Louisville was here back in 2019.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
SIAP, but it was mentioned during a broadcast of one of their games that UCONN solely focuses on learning/developing the offense during the offseason. They don't work on the defense until season practices start in the fall.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Kind of interesting that it appears the real secret behind Hurley is Murray. Helped him start the turn around at Rhode Island that got Hurley the UCONN job and then really Hurley hadn't done anything until he brought Murray in to UCONN. Have to imagine Murray will get a HC offer pretty soon.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
UCLA did win 38 tournament games in a row. But they only had to win four games each tournament. UConn is the only team to win back to back, win 6 games each tournament, and win every single game by double digits. Their combined margin of victory average the two years was 260 points or 21.7 per game. No champion has had that margin of victory in one year since 1985 (much less over a 2-year run).
UCLA was also winning with players that had to stay all four years, so no one and done. While there was no NIL, it been widely reported that UCLA players were being paid under the table while they were in school.
What UCONN has down the past two years is remarkable, win the title, rebuild with mostly different players and win it again in impressive fashion. They were truly a team that could play any style of basketball.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I was driving back from eclipse viewing last night and listened on the radio. I started out with the Purdue feed. OMG, their broadcast team is quite possibly is quite possibly the worst I've ever heard. Yes they were homers which I expected but you had no idea of what is going on in the game. They will spend a full minute talking about a player that just checked in and literally miss an entire play until someone shoots. You could have a 5 minute stretch of game time and not hear them say things like who was passing or dribbling the ball. At one point they claimed Eddy had been fouled because even though they did not see a foul the Naismith POY would NEVER miss a 2 footer.

I eventually turned over to the UConn feed who were also homers but were excellent play x play announcers.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
UCLA was also winning with players that had to stay all four years, so no one and done. While there was no NIL, it been widely reported that UCLA players were being paid under the table while they were in school.
What UCONN has down the past two years is remarkable, win the title, rebuild with mostly different players and win it again in impressive fashion. They were truly a team that could play any style of basketball.
They didn't rebuild with mostly different players though. What is most impressive to me is that they got a first rounder to stay. Newton was for sure a second rounder last year as well.

Newton, Karaban, Clingan, Johnson, Diarra were all back. They just added two guys in Castle and Spencer. To me the crazy thing is that they were so close to adding Timberlake before they got Spencer. They were the favorite for him even but then I think KU offered more money and he went there. That one decision could have won them the tournament because they wouldn't have gotten Spencer.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
After I watched UConn in round 3 (I think?) vs SDSU, I was convinced they really were unbeatable. Their age and skills on offense were elite, but the way they played defense is what put them over the top. I don't think I've ever seen a team as complete as UConn this year. Truly zero weaknesses. Their last couple games they didn't shoot well from three and still curb stomped the competition. It's a damn shame Houston got so injured, as I think that would have been an actual game. I shouldn't, but I actually feel a little bad for Houston. I guess I know what it's like when your team's best player gets injured during a great run. . .

The Athletic's too early prediction is pretty friendly to Purdue, assuming that team is even close to that good without Edey. That'll be one of those teams that starts the year top 15 then disappears.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
After I watched UConn in round 3 (I think?) vs SDSU, I was convinced they really were unbeatable. Their age and skills on offense were elite, but the way they played defense is what put them over the top. I don't think I've ever seen a team as complete as UConn this year. Truly zero weaknesses. Their last couple games they didn't shoot well from three and still curb stomped the competition. It's a damn shame Houston got so injured, as I think that would have been an actual game. I shouldn't, but I actually feel a little bad for Houston. I guess I know what it's like when your team's best player gets injured during a great run. . .

The Athletic's too early prediction is pretty friendly to Purdue, assuming that team is even close to that good without Edey. That'll be one of those teams that starts the year top 15 then disappears.

I think they could beat good teams at any pace which is a huge thing in a tournament of rather random matchups.

I wouldn't want to play them half court and I wouldn't want to try to outrun them either.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Interesting that Purdon't only took seven threes. They averaged 17 attempts per game this year.
Uconn had the luxury of playing Edey straight up (no double) for a large portion of the game with Clingan and Johnson.

Smart plan, almost got both fouled out, but it worked.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They didn't rebuild with mostly different players though. What is most impressive to me is that they got a first rounder to stay. Newton was for sure a second rounder last year as well.

Newton, Karaban, Clingan, Johnson, Diarra were all back. They just added two guys in Castle and Spencer. To me the crazy thing is that they were so close to adding Timberlake before they got Spencer. They were the favorite for him even but then I think KU offered more money and he went there. That one decision could have won them the tournament because they wouldn't have gotten Spencer.
The fact they played a ton of guys and had great depth last year was a big help.

Sanogo, Harris and Jackson are all in the NBA. Calcaterra and Alleyne were good producers off the bench.

Kind of the strange mix of losing a lot but still returning a lot. But Johnson wasn’t a regular last year. He played a few minutes in like 1/3 of their games. Clinghan didn’t start and played 13 min a game.

But still a really nice core of returners. Newton is a stud.