Update to NCAA transfer rules on the horizon?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
NCAA is in full retreat. This is the end of them as a governing force over athletes.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
NCAA is in full retreat. This is the end of them as a governing force over athletes.
I'm happy to kick the NCAA in the shins whenever possible, but I don't think there's much they can do in this case. They've got multiple states involved in lawsuits against them, on this very issue. The courts have already granted an injunction, preventing them from restricting eligibility on transfers. They can continue to resist, but the writing is on the wall on this issue. If that's a retreat, so be it, but it's also just acknowledging reality.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's all gonna be in shambles in 5 years or less.
Meh. If punishing a kid for changing schools more than once is really the straw that broke the camel's back on college athletics, maybe it deserves to die. Something tells me that there will still be plenty of people watching in 5 years, though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Meh. If punishing a kid for changing schools more than once is really the straw that broke the camel's back on college athletics, maybe it deserves to die. Something tells me that there will still be plenty of people watching in 5 years, though.
I don't mean to say that's the straw but its pretty clear at this point the NCAA has no power. I will say I think there needs to be some kind of governing body that maintains competitive interests much like the professional leagues have otherwise it's just going to be a disgusting abuse of power.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I don't think the mid-year rule will last very long. All it will take is for an athlete to take the NCAA to court.
I'm not so sure about that. Guys get paid now and you can put guard rails in place as guys can get paid.

What needs to happen, the league commissioners of Big Ten, Greg Sankey of SEC, and Brett Yormark need a sit down with the NCAA head. Figure it out with like:

- One time transfer max (I don't think transfers should be unlimited)
- (or if you transfer once and transfer again, then you sit out a year)
- Two year signing period out of high school
- Please for the love of god, one portal window in the summer or spring. Make it a two week opportunity.

It's critical for saving the college games of hoops and football. I truly believe that.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm happy to kick the NCAA in the shins whenever possible, but I don't think there's much they can do in this case. They've got multiple states involved in lawsuits against them, on this very issue. The courts have already granted an injunction, preventing them from restricting eligibility on transfers. They can continue to resist, but the writing is on the wall on this issue. If that's a retreat, so be it, but it's also just acknowledging reality.
And it can be like pretty much everything else. The way things are heading there probably can just be people that develop pay for play contracts that do have conditions for playing for that season, more, less, however they want to do it.

It's not hard to see how that would affect the values. It's not different than other contracts. There will be value in contracts where a player commits to vestage or payback if they leave that school. A booster would pay more for someone agreeing to those conditions.

As for the tuition, schools can easily put in requirements of at least maintaining a passing grade before they'll pay tuition, fees etc. It isn't a failsafe or prevent mid-season transfers, but it would provide a level of protection for schools if they are for some reason blocked from locking in scholarships on a yearly basis.

Nothing is clean, but all parties involved have some mechanisms and forces that this might get at least a tiny bit to a steady state.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm not so sure about that. Guys get paid now and you can put guard rails in place as guys can get paid.

What needs to happen, the league commissioners of Big Ten, Greg Sankey of SEC, and Brett Yormark need a sit down with the NCAA head. Figure it out with like:

- One time transfer max (I don't think transfers should be unlimited)
- (or if you transfer once and transfer again, then you sit out a year)
- Two year signing period out of high school
- Please for the love of god, one portal window in the summer or spring. Make it a two week opportunity.

It's critical for saving the college games of hoops and football. I truly believe that.

If the players had collective bargaining, you could probably get some of these things. The commissioners can't "collude". They'd end up back in court.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Reactions: Erik4Cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Something I'm more interested in: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...fers-school-assistance-for-nil-opportunities/

Now we're getting somewhere. Put those NIL salaries out in the open.
While I love the idea of having checks and balances along with transparency, I fail to see any legal ground they could force this under. Unless the NIL sponsor is a publicly traded company, there is no legal obligation to disclose person to person or even private company to person contractual terms.

We all want there to be more control and/or limitations, but all of these attempts will fall flat on their face with the slightest of legal challenge.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
While I love the idea of having checks and balances along with transparency, I fail to see any legal ground they could force this under. Unless the NIL sponsor is a publicly traded company, there is no legal obligation to disclose person to person or even private company to person contractual terms.

We all want there to be more control and/or limitations, but all of these attempts will fall flat on their face with the slightest of legal challenge.
Well if they work for the university they are state employees, last I knew state employee salaries get published. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and it doesn't matter to me.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I think the difference here is that it specifies cases where the university itself is connecting the players to the donors, which puts it into the public realm with the player being a representative of the (assuming public) university. The school is acting in an official capacity in assisting the players' NIL.

But you're right, there is no longer any regulatory body for D1 sports, so any challenge will result in a loss for said body.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well if they work for the university they are state employees, last I knew state employee salaries get published. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and it doesn't matter to me.
Sorry, I may have missed the part about this proposal including the switch to athletes being employees.

In that case, corporations (and therefore I would assume a school) could require contractual disclosures from their employees. But again, no P1 school is going to ever agree to putting a cap on that amount.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sorry, I may have missed the part about this proposal including the switch to athletes being employees.

In that case, corporations (and therefore I would assume a school) could require contractual disclosures from their employees. But again, no P1 school is going to ever agree to putting a cap on that amount.

I have no idea saw it floated somewhere