Voyager 1 is likely dead

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
One of you nerds has to be able to explain to me how this can start working again. Was it passing through some kind of radiation field? Did it get closer to some kind of light source? Did Voyager run into a female Voyager and decide it wanted some privacy?

• Haha
Reactions: cyfanatic

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
One of you nerds has to be able to explain to me how this can start working again. Was it passing through some kind of radiation field? Did it get closer to some kind of light source? Did Voyager run into a female Voyager and decide it wanted some privacy?

Basically, a memory chip failed, and they had to tell Voyager to painstakingly move the code on that chip to a different memory location.

By March, the team had figured out that a memory chip that stored some of the flight data system’s software code had failed, turning the craft’s outgoing communications into gibberish.

A long-distance repair wasn’t possible. There wasn’t enough space anywhere in the system to shift the code in its entirety. So after manually reviewing the code line by line, engineers broke it up and tucked the pieces into the available slots of memory.

They sent a command to Voyager on Thursday. In the early morning hours Saturday, the team gathered around a conference table at JPL: laptops open, coffee and boxes of doughnuts in reach.

At 6:41 a.m., data from the craft showed up on their screens. The fix had worked.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Basically, a memory chip failed, and they had to tell Voyager to painstakingly move the code on that chip to a different memory location.

So these guys can remotely fix a computer issue 15 billion miles away but if I have an issue with my internet it’s either “too bad, live with it” or “we’ll send a guy out in three weeks”? Yeah, right … it was space wizards who did it.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
So these guys can remotely fix a computer issue 15 billion miles away but if I have an issue with my internet it’s either “too bad, live with it” or “we’ll send a guy out in three weeks”? Yeah, right … it was space wizards who did it.
Clearly you need to call NASA to fix your internet.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
It reminds of the Star Trek Episode The Changeling.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron