Wanted Asst. Football Coach

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Cool post. At least get the quote function right if you’re going to try and jest at someone.

@GT25Ump
A lot of moving pieces earlier this week.

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Complicated situation. Gasser will not be back on staff. Also, don’t expect Manning to come back like the rumors are suggesting. Should be more out publicly soon.

So what were you hearing?

Edit
This wasn't asked in sarcasm. I'm genuinely curious who he heard was coming.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SECyclone

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
from what I heard earlier this week, CMC was in talks with Manning and was planning on him returning. Colts then offered him a substantial pay increase and to help out with the OL. That’s when things started to look discouraging. Manning ended up not liking it enough to stay in spite of the pay increase and made the decision today.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
from what I heard earlier this week, CMC was in talks with Manning and was planning on him returning. Colts then offered him a substantial pay increase and to help out with the OL. That’s when things started to look discouraging. Manning ended up not liking it enough to stay in spite of the pay increase and made the decision today.
Confirmed:
Iowa State > NFL
and
Cyclones > Colts

Edit:
And
Ames > Indianapolis

Reactions: jdcyclone19

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
So what were you hearing?

Edit
This wasn't asked in sarcasm. I'm genuinely curious who he heard was coming.
@jdcyclone19 pretty much nailed it. Manning coming back was looking good..that’s when things went very south with Gasser..then colts REALLY wanted to keep Manning..that’s when it was officially gasser out but also not looking good on the Manning front..then CMC was able to get Manning back in Ames which I wasn’t expecting.

People can be dicks all they want about what I brought up earlier but it was the truth. These are the things that remind me not to share things. Noted.

excytied

Apr 15, 2006
I appreciate the information. I think there are number of people who have good information whom we have lost because of things like this.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I appreciate the information. I think there are number of people who have good information whom we have lost because of things like this.

Please share what you want. Ignore people who don't respond the way you want. Seriously, the "ignore" tool is awesome for filtering out the predictable thread-wrecking posts. Now, if others would just not reply to them, maybe they would go away and we could simply have good conversations about rumors, inside info, and opinions.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
@jdcyclone19 pretty much nailed it. Manning coming back was looking good..that’s when things went very south with Gasser..then colts REALLY wanted to keep Manning..that’s when it was officially gasser out but also not looking good on the Manning front..then CMC was able to get Manning back in Ames which I wasn’t expecting.

People can be dicks all they want about what I brought up earlier but it was the truth. These are the things that remind me not to share things. Noted.

So is it safe to imply that Gasser wanted the official OC title and was mad he wouldn't get it because Manning was coming back?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I have no info but I'd guess the raise Pollard gave to the football assistant coaches helped a lot here. I bet Manning doesn't come back for the same contract he had before. Money talks.

This is a big reason Iowa State has never been able to sustain success before. Good coaches leave because we don't pay them well enough. This could be a sign of great things to come.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
So is it safe to infer that Gasser wanted the official OC title and was mad he wouldn't get it because Manning was coming back?
(FIFY ) It's an educated guess. but on the surface this firing is a real surprise. The receiver position group has thrived under coach Gasser, so it couldn't be performance related. Could it? And it has always seemed that Gasser was as much of a believer in the process as anyone. Don't know if we'll ever hear the real story, but I can only agree with you. I can imagine Gasser having had his eye on this high profile open position. Why wouldn't he? I can also understand what a crushing blow it would be to your dream job suddenly vanish, especially when it was filled by the only person on the planet more qualified to fill it than you are - save maybe the Toledo HC (the original OC on this staff, who manning replaced).
This re-hiring is also reminiscent of the biblical Parable of the Prodigal Son. Here we have the "Prodigal OC", Tom Manning, returning, tail between legs, from the NFL. Coach Gasser remained loyal, only to see the Manning rewarded by taking his old job back. Well, I was the outspoken kid in the back of the Sunday school class who sympathized with the reaction of the Prodigal Son's older brother. (Sunday school teacher hated me ... :rolleyes:) So, yes, I can see where Gasser might have confronted CMC, and maybe lost his cool. But I can also see where the CMC might have seen that situation as irreconcilable, and chose to nip the situation in the bud.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan21

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron