WBB - ISU vs Iowa

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I felt they should have tried Emiah with Moody. They have looked great together before. It also gives us someone else really good at taking it to the hole. Emiah has hit three pointers also. We needed to set the game around Hallie. She is our best player without Pop, or at least she and Moody. When they shut Hallie down, we lost the game. That is my feeling anyway, I had to listen to it on the radio. I would be surprised if we got a fair shake from the refs, but those things happen. They got 13 pf, we got 20. Notice how whenever we got in the shooting situation, they quit calling fouls on Iowa. At least that is the dynamic I heard on the radio. But still that is no excuse. There are a million ways we could have won that game. We missed our shots and didn't have a good game plan.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Anna has only had a few game in career where she's dominated in the paint. This wasn't one of those. Johnson didn't want any part of her inside, though. Her D was okay.

Hallie was a "no show" for the 1st half, can't have that. D was late for her, she was running at shooters that made shots.

Moody being late to practice, can't happen. We have a limited bench in playmakers.

Williamson played okay D, but hit with some touch calls made her fall back. Ellis played good D, but not a threat to shoot. Kidd and Bingley played like freshmen. Need them to learn to let the game come to them. Everybody rushed shots, missed lay-ups. We have to learn to play without Pop, and not rely on her coming back. It will make us better.

It's a learning thing, but I don't think you get the feel of the game from the radio call, or the stats alone. You had to see it.

Last edited:

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Hallie being a non-factor and Emiah having some frosh errors and inconsistent at best officiating cost this game not Anna. Upside is Anna looked strong against the best post in the big 10 and Moody was clearly the best player on the court.
I notice Bingley had 4 turnovers in 7 minutes. That must have been what got Fennelly upset with her. Still, what we were doing wasn't working in the second half. We needed someone to heat up shooting besides Moody. We had trouble handling the ball all the way. I honestly don't think that will continue.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
It's a learning thing, but I don't think you get the feel of the game from the radio call, or the stats alone. You had to see it.
I agree, but don't you think they keyed on Hallie. I thought that was a smart thing to do and it really screwed up our offense. Hallie got 13 rebounds, she was working hard, but hardly scored in the first half.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Honestly, I think we win this game pretty easily if we have Pop, but the team looked lost on the offensive end of the floor. Maybe the team didn't execute the plays correctly, but I think BF called a bad game.
Maybe miss Jack Easley? I think we do. He would always preach them to drive and to draw contact in practice...

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Just got back from the game. Man, that was just a brutal game all around. I do put a TON of blame on the scheduling. We have not played a team with a pulse, let alone a defense yet. The ladies just looked lost out there on offense. They just started chucking up contested three after contested three. Em and Kidd got their first look at a D1 defense tonight. I was REALLY high on Em going into this game. Now I have been brought back down to earth. She still has GREAT potential and I am hoping that we can just chalk this one up to a bad game.

I do not understand how Kidd is ever going to make a three. Her shot might be the flattest shot I have ever seen. No arch what so ever. Prins was the typical Prins. Just brutal to watch trying to score down low. It was obvious that she was told to shoot any three that she had tonight as well.

I was really hoping for more out the ladies tonight.... I am just really disappointed in them right now. The heart was not there tonight. Even after the game they just walked off of the court. They ALWAYS wave to the ISU crowd... Not tonight. I really do blame most of this loss on the scheduling. But on the bright side, maybe now they will realize that they have a LOT of work to do to get ready for the Big 12!

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
Regarding Anna's threes, She was the best shooter on the team as a Freshman in practice per Coach, and she shot over 40% during the season. This year her shot is obviously off, but she would not have shot 10 times last night without Coach's ok. A few games ago, it appeared that he told her no more after missing 2 or 3 shots. Two of ten is 20%, not a good percentage. But what if she made one more and was at 30%, or two more would be 40%. 3 more points scored by anyone could have made the difference in the end game, allowing ISU to slow down a bit and force Iowa into a fouling situation.

Nikki looks like she received some "extra coaching" after the game in her interview.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I know this is a bad time to complain about anything, but I have honestly stopped watching WBB entirely because officiating is consistently sub-par. The games are brutal yet hardly anything usually gets called. Tried watching the Baylor-ND game the other night and had to turn it off after 5 minutes because of it.
This is true. Unfortunately, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, most women's college officials -- probably with the exception of some female officials who WANT to work the womens' game -- are cast-offs who couldn't make it into the mens' game.

I officiated small college women's basketball for two years with the goal of someday making it into the mens' game. I hated every minute of it. The quality of play at that level was SO bad it was almost impossible to officiate consistently. And because it's college basketball they want you to "let them play". After two years I didn't feel like I was progressing toward the mens' game and I was absolutely hating the womens' game and if you don't enjoy it, it's not worth it. I gave it up and went back to working high school.