Well, it's finally over

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Oh ********. I know many people from both sides and none of them act like petulant children like you guys on this site do.

You guys were more ecstatic today than would have been if ISU men's were playing tommorrow night and you know it.
Get over your yourself. People can cheer for and against whatever they want. Stop trying to tell fans how they should feel. God you are obnoxious.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I don't disagree with your post but there's no denying CC carried the popularity of WBB this year on her back. It's just the truth. Now that she's done the big question is whether WBB will remain as relevant as she's helped make it, and it seems like there are some who are actually hoping it doesn't just so they can say "oh I thought CC changed the game and transformed its popularity but apparently she failed." Very weird to be rooting for small crowds and a return to obscurity, but I know the hate for her runs deep.

Speak for yourself and your own fair weather fanbase. ISU has been supporting its’ wbb program for 25+ years.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don't disagree with your post but there's no denying CC carried the popularity of WBB this year on her back. It's just the truth. Now that she's done the big question is whether WBB will remain as relevant as she's helped make it, and it seems like there are some who are actually hoping it doesn't just so they can say "oh I thought CC changed the game and transformed its popularity but apparently she failed." Very weird to be rooting for small crowds and a return to obscurity, but I know the hate for her runs deep.

Disagree with this a bit. WBB has been gaining popularity and Clark was a catalyst for turning it up further. But I wouldn't call it "carrying the popularity of the sport on her back" as that is a backhand to the other big names of the sport who, even just a few years ago, would be seen as WBB breakout stars in their own right. There are some Iowa fans who have managed to overstate Clark's effect on WBB popularity, which is quite hard to do seeing how large of an effect she really did have on the sport.

An example: South Carolina-NC State peaked at 9 million viewers. The 2022 Final Four averaged 3.5 million, which was a record at the time. Clark has affected those numbers - almost 3x above the last pre-Clark record - but she was not playing in that game. South Carolina is a draw in its own right and Dawn Staley is becoming close to a household coaching name for formerly casual hoops fans who didn't follow WBB.

WBB may dip in viewership next year or it may not, but there will be another Clark-esque figure for people to latch on to as the sport continues its growth in support; it is just foolish to think the sport is going away now that she's leaving. It has been on an upswing for some time and Clark helped to move the trajectory higher.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Why do you guys hate the state you either live in or grew up in so much? It's really disturbing behavior.

I agree with the other poster, really terrible look for this fanbase. I didn't realize people get so triggered over women's basketball.

I better shut up now before I get banned for simply refusing to fall in line and trash everything about Iowa including............wait for it..........women's basketball of all things.
I understand others might not feel the same way, but I find this line of thinking pretty sexist. I've had a few Hawkeye fans talk about how much Clark has grown the game and then also say that I should root for Iowa WBB cause it's "good for the state" and it's "just women's basketball". You can't say (I know you didn't) she's growing the game while also saying it's just women's basketball.

I refuse to cheer for Iowa in any sport for any gender and that'll never change. The only sport I don't completely root against Iowa for is baseball since ISU doesn't have a baseball team. But Iowa succeeding in anything does absolutely nothing to help my favorite team, so yes, I was very happy when they lost today

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I keep saying - look how much respect ISU fans have for Cooper Dejean because he's a class act, doesn't show boat, and handles himself really well even in adversity. If Clark didn't act like a whiny baby, throw tantrums, and do all the showboating, we'd give her the same respect.
This is the annoying crap from all the media in this state. Personally I didn’t like CC because she’s a very unlikeable player. Showing up the opponent (waving off Johnson vs SC last year), showing up refs, showing up teammates. She’s unlikeable, Brink is unlikeable. Gustafson, Martin, Stuelke, Garza, Murray are/were perfectly likeable Hawks that an opposing fan fan can respect beyond just their game.

The Murphs of the world need to realize that it isn’t “trash talk” that makes Clark absolutely easy to dislike for opposing fans. It isn’t even whining about fouls. It’s looking and acting like your opponents and officials are crap.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
And credit to some of their fans, even they realize it's making them look bad.

FFzzjoj.png

of course, someone follows up that post with this

NIBmFSR.png
Second post has serious cave vibes.

In all seriousness, I do not think this represents their entire fan base. But mods on this site would shut down the racist **** in a hurry. But not over there.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Why do you guys hate the state you either live in or grew up in so much? It's really disturbing behavior.

I agree with the other poster, really terrible look for this fanbase. I didn't realize people get so triggered over women's basketball.
I grew up in Illinois and California, Graduated From Iowa Stste, along with my parents, Wife and have a son at Iowa State right now. I have lived in Iowa since 2001 full time. Why should I care for or cheer for anything University of Iowa. I do not get that mind set. Iowa is my hated rival, so I hate Iowa. Glad they lost, interesting to see CC kind of give up in the last 4 or 5 minutes. Glad there 15 minutes of Fame are over. 18 minutes from the bench, 0 points, and now quickly back to reality for the program.

Go Cyclones

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I understand the sentiment, but I don't give a **** about CC - every loss for Iowa in anything is joyous and an occasion for celebration. That's what rivals, especially in state ones, do.

I can't stand when people say "it's good for Iowa State if Iowa is good". The **** it is. It helps them in recruiting (especially in-state), gives them more press, helps their NIL, and makes my blood boil. I would literally let myself be castrated before I'd root for the Hawks in ANYTHING.
Add to that the fact that CC is insufferable to watch with the constant complaining, and exhibits terrible sportsmanship on a regular basis.

She's the player that everyone loathed during park district type games when she was young.

I'm sure the other players and their parents found her and her obnoxious parents just as insufferable back then.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Oh ********. I know many people from both sides and none of them act like petulant children like you guys on this site do.

You guys were more ecstatic today than would have been if ISU men's were playing tommorrow night and you know it.
No way, you are nuts, you do know the site is called CycloneFanatic right?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If you would root for Iowa football in the national title game, or men's basketball in the Final Four, then I guess I understand why you supported them today (although I'm not sure why you're on this website).

The thing I don't understand are Cyclone fans who say "F*** the Hawks" for football or MBB (or wrestling) and then are cheering for them now. Is it just because it's a women's sport? To me that is a problematic reason. I have asked this to some people in person and they brush off the question and say "it's good for the state," which of course is not an answer at all because they didn't support Iowa in the Big Ten football championship game for example.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron