Well, we're moving from ranking pretenders to contenders now ...

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Based on what I've seen so far...

1. OU
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma State
4. Iowa State
5. West Virginia
6. Kansas State
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech
9. Baylor
10. Kansas

1-4 is pretty tight no matter how you look at it. Each team has beaten one of the 3 around them. It's great to be in control of our destiny with only 3 games left, hopefully we can finish strong!

This is how I'd have it. Seems KSU and ISU were lucky to play OU first. KSU was higher prior to losing their QB, TCU unlucky to play them early. Margins between 1-9 are not that much.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It's rather straight-forward, the eye test says OU is better than ISU even though ISU won a close game in Ames. I can't see them doing that today on a neutral field. Eye test + standings = power ranking. Slight edge to the Sooners.
Being "straight forward"............the eye test+ standings would have said KSU gets the edge over WVU. Also, I didn't see Kyle Kempt winning the dual against Baker Mayfield.......in Norman. We could easily be 3-1 against OU the last four years. As it stands......we have split the four. So I can certainly see us beating them on a neutral field regardless of how they look now. We are 5-1 afterall. I think the days are over that ISU winning a football game is an accident.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
WVU beat K-State head2head 37-10.

I know and that is why it was used as an example of how the "eye test" along with the "standings" don't always mean a victory. Because until that game......KSU would have been given the nod. And I'm not so sure if they play again KSU doesn't win. So let's not count ISU out of a game with the Sooners on autopilot just because of the "eye test".

Reactions: NWICY

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio

1. OU
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma State
4. Iowa State
5. West Virginia
6. Kansas State
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech
9. Baylor
10. Kansas

1-4 is pretty tight no matter how you look at it. Each team has beaten one of the 3 around them. It's great to be in control of our destiny with only 3 games left, hopefully we can finish strong!
Texas at 4.

Reactions: Thomasrickj

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would put OSU over TX. They played like crap and still should have beat TX. OU is looking pretty tough, but i looks like the Cowboys are up next, so that will be interesting.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If we end up with 2 loses to OSU and TX I'm afraid we will be screwed in the HTH tiebreakers vs a team like OU that has same number of Ls but to a team like K St.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Obviously, Farmageddon will be meaningful to the championship race. I'm just happy we have a chance to get healed-up for that one.

Bedlam is the same day. So, after those games, this race will be much clearer and power rankings will have even less meaning than actual standings.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Obviously, Farmageddon will be meaningful to the championship race. I'm just happy we have a chance to get healed-up for that one.

Bedlam is the same day. So, after those games, this race will be much clearer and power rankings will have even less meaning than actual standings.
So if Iowa State beats K-State and OSU loses to OU, you'll have ISU as your #1 team considering they'll be all alone at #1?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So if Iowa State beats K-State and OSU loses to OU, you'll have ISU as your #1 team considering they'll be all alone at #1?
That would be a rational approach. The eye test may suggest OU though. Depends on how that oSu game turns. ISU should be a double-digit favorite v. EMAW. That late in the season, standings matter more than ranking anyway. It all rhetorical malarkey to argue otherwise.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That would be a rational approach. The eye test may suggest OU though. Depends on how that oSu game turns. ISU should be a double-digit favorite v. EMAW.
I think it'll be 9.5 when it opens. And I was just going off of how you said that power rankings will have less meaning than actual rankings, which honestly they always have less meaning but that's besides the point. If Iowa State wins next week and OSU loses, Iowa State deserves the #1 spot in any power ranking until they lose. Iowa State has the head to head against OU and would have the common opponent nudge of beating K-State who OU lost to at home.

Reactions: surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it'll be 9.5 when it opens. And I was just going off of how you said that power rankings will have less meaning than actual rankings, which honestly they always have less meaning but that's besides the point. If Iowa State wins next week and OSU loses, Iowa State deserves the #1 spot in any power ranking until they lose. Iowa State has the head to head against OU and would have the common opponent nudge of beating K-State who OU lost to at home.
Wouldn't that common opponent nudge be negated by OU beating OSU who beat ISU?

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames

1. OU
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma State
4. Iowa State
5. West Virginia
6. Kansas State
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech
9. Baylor
10. Kansas

I just don't know what to really think about Texas. They seem crazy lucky in the 4th quarter.
Tech had a 98% win probability in the 4th Q before Texas won in OT.
OU had a 98.7% win probability in the 4th Q before eventually winning in OT.
Texas faired better against OSU, but still needed a really good 4th Q to make it to OT.
WV had 2 turnovers on downs in the 4th Q, one on the Texas 16 and the other on the Texas 8. Texas won 17-13.

I can't decide if their luck will run out, or if they will continue to make their own luck. They've trailed at the end of the 3rd quarter against OU, OSU, TT, and TCU.

Tech.jpg

OU.jpg

OSU.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
oSu - controls own destiny, win out and they are in.
isu - likewise
k-state - likewise
texas - likewise
ou - win out & needs help.

most likely: isu/tx winner v. bedlam winner
least likely: k-state v. ou

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wouldn't that common opponent nudge be negated by OU beating OSU who beat ISU?
True. I guess the only thing that matters would be that ISU has 1 loss in the conference, OU has 2, and we beat them head to head. Who cares about common opponent. If ISU wins and OSU loses, ISU should be anyone's #1 team in the Big 12 until we lose another game.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone