What do you all think of this guy?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
didnt prohm have a couple get drafted or go to the nba? He was getting quality and/or developing it. McD just got to the tourney and the players didn't move on, outside his own kid.

Exactly - actually he recruited, and developed Cameron Payne - drafted 14th pick first round....

Id say thats getting it done....

But i know what your saying - Prohm is a huge unknown. But his style of play and player development cannot be questioned. Now can he recruit a higher level of player to come to ISU - time will tell.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
At Wisconsin - Grad Assistant, means nothing.
At Nebraska - well interesting you should say that, because his bio lists him as a Nebraska assistant, do you think they missed him on their bio sheet....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

According to these descriptions, he was never an assistant during that timeframe....hmmm George Leary here we come!!!!

I'm sure you know Wikipedia is hardly a comprehensive source of information. He was the recruiting coordinator at Nebraska from 2001 - 2003. During that time, Nebraska went to the national title game in 2001. Source here.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
How much recruiting does the head coach do? I see a lot of people concerned about recruiting. If he hires good recruiters won't that solve that issue?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Personally i would not be in favor of this hire.

I will put a spin on it differently. I do think that coaching is coaching. But, being a great coach at a smaller school, may not be the same as being a great coach where your facing off against other great coaches.

Secondly - i think we tried this with McDermott. Great coach, but, never got the idea of recruiting larger then the MAC. I'm afraid someone like that will have a limited recruiting network and focus on upper midwest kids as thats what he's done in the past to win. For this coach to be successful he has to be reaching wider then Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota.

This coach needs to have an outstanding track record with Jucos - they will be our pipeline when Snyder steps down. We need to recruit system fit players or athletes i don't care which or both. But, have a plan when that kid arrives. Don't waste two years waiting for development and then say, i think you would be a better wide receiver or linebacker.

This would be a serious reach in my opinion. Nothing against his qualifications, but, it would obviously not be favorable to the image of what or who we needed to hire to be successful at ISU.

My guess is that Jamies trying to throw off a smoke screen ala Brian Kelly..... My favorite at this point is still either Frost or Fritz. Choose your poison - Young energetic midwestern kid.... or Experienced JUCO vet that can instantly improve your JUCO recruiting and has had success as a HC at every stop he's been at.....
this this this. For Iowa state to compete In the big 12 right now we need JUCOs. Fritz is a proven winner and I don't think he has ever had a sub .500 season. He could recruit JUCOs and get us back to bowls. We need to grab him quick.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Have no real feelings about it but he would have to hire some excellent assistants and hopefully he'd be able to recruit. I think it would be a very hard sell to the fanbase. I really believe Pollard has to hit a home run here cause quite frankly his job may be riding on it.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The one thing I want to see in a new coach is a resume that includes assistant stops at top programs. Not necessarily coordinator, but just as an assistant at some successful programs.
That should be near the bottom of the list imo.

Interesting. I'd feel a bit better if he was having a better season this year. I wonder how their recruiting class is for next year?

The Bo Ryan comparison is not quite right because I don't think it is as big of a jump going from coaching D3 in basketball to D1 as it would be in football.

Overall, I'd rather have a current head coach than he current position coach. But I'm not sure this is the right guy.
In many ways it is the opposite. Football at all levels is about development, fundamentals, S&C, X&Os, etc. CBB is more about raw talent.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't mind guys coming from small schools if they have some big school experience. Preferably as a coordinator or major recruiter. This guy hiring Ianello shows he's smart though.

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
if you're gonna gamble this boldly you might as well gamble on a FCS/Juco/D3/D2 coach with Texas/Florida ties. Gambling on a dude whose ties are all northern when you play "in the south" is a recipe for slow,plodding disaster

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
if you're gonna gamble this boldly you might as well gamble on a FCS/Juco/D3/D2 coach with Texas/Florida ties. Gambling on a dude whose ties are all northern when you play "in the south" is a recipe for slow,plodding disaster

I don't think we're hiring a non midwest guy.

kcyclone

Sep 11, 2012
Whitewater is a small step above good big-school high school football. I think this guy would be a disaster on the recruiting trail. Pretty big jump. Is he being mentioned just because he's from Wisconsin and JP knows him?

Leipold is mentioned online by FootballScoop.com (the site that first reported CPR was canned) as a possible candidate. They even bring up the fact that he was hired at Buffalo when the school used the Parker Search Firm. Same place that found Leath, found Prohm, and dealt with Leipold & Buffalo. Could be an interesting mention from a site that may have a decent source at ISU.

http://footballscoop.com/news/why-lance-leipold-could-be-a-name-to-watch-at-iowa-state/

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
Leipold is mentioned online by FootballScoop.com (the site that first reported CPR was canned) as a possible candidate. They even bring up the fact that he was hired at Buffalo when the school used the Parker Search Firm. Same place that found Leath, found Prohm, and dealt with Leipold & Buffalo. Could be an interesting mention from a site that may have a decent source at ISU.

http://footballscoop.com/news/why-lance-leipold-could-be-a-name-to-watch-at-iowa-state/

Ugh.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Most of the guys we have been discussing would be successful figure heads. I want a recruiter. Only way we get over the hump. Got to land 4 star guys. Period.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
If he's going to abandon Buffalo after one year without having built a thing, he probably comes from the Gene Chizik School of Ethics.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Most of the guys we have been discussing would be successful figure heads. I want a recruiter. Only way we get over the hump. Got to land 4 star guys. Period.

This is not basketball. You need talented players but you don't "recruit" your way to anywhere. See UT.

It is about identifying which KIDS can you develop into 21-22 year-olds that excel at what you run.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Really it comes down to recruiting one position. If you have a good QB you have a chance and a united fanbase.

Help Support Us

Become a patron