What do you do?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
He’s made to be an assistant. Good recruiter subpar X’s and O’s. He’d be a great assistant hire for a blue blood program

It honestly depends on what he wants. There are always schools out there like Stoney Brook, Vermont, and many others that will look at him with his NCAA tourney appearences and give him a second chance. A school that is not a basketball crazed place like Iowa State. Some lower Division 1 team will give him a chance. He also could take the route of going to be an assistant for Kentucky or North Carolina and rebuild himself.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
giphy.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Steve has a great relationship with Jamie. He's also a very good human being, just not a good power 5 coach. The reason I brought up the good human being part is because his high character will not allow him to muddy the waters here. This will not be ugly at the end of the year. It WILL happen. We just all need to be patient, which I know can be hard considering there are games still left on the schedule.

It absolutely sucks that we are awful, but I'll be honest. I'm incredibly excited for our future. I think Jamie is going to make a great hire, just like he did with Campbell.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
We gave him a contract. He signed said contract. ISU fires him and gives him his buyout per the contract terms. Him and ISU move on.

These posts and threads about “resigning” or “walking away” or “doing the right thing” are asinine. No one save for a very few exceptions are walking away from millions of buyout dollars that are contractually owed to you.
When you sign a college contract, you are a lottery winner, regardless what happens. When you sign a company (employee) contract, plan on a lawsuit ($$/years) to negotiate 20% of what you are owed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Steve has a great relationship with Jamie. He's also a very good human being, just not a good power 5 coach. The reason I brought up the good human being part is because his high character will not allow him to muddy the waters here. This will not be ugly at the end of the year. It WILL happen. We just all need to be patient, which I know can be hard considering there are games still left on the schedule.

It absolutely sucks that we are awful, but I'll be honest. I'm incredibly excited for our future. I think Jamie is going to make a great hire, just like he did with Campbell.
The one advantage we have at this go around it time. JP couldn't really pull the trigger until Fred said he was actually gone which was extremely late to hire a coach. This time we have the ability to not have a fire sale type approach to it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Jamie's basketball hires are below 0.500. Just sayin'. I trust him though and realize the Prohm hire was unique.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The good thing is basketball can have quick turn arounds with new coaches. IT's not like football where you have to recruit a whole team if the talent is not there. If the Core of the team stays in place or even we keep some of our players, The turn around could be quick with a good coach who knows how to coach.
Agreed, but what does a big turnaround look like when you are 0-18 the previous season. I would say 7-11 next year would be a historic turnaround and probably the ceiling for a new coach.

That would mean winning 1 road game which hasn't happened in 2 years and then going 6-3 in Hilton. That might be too much fo ask for.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Jamie's basketball hires are below 0.500. Just sayin'. I trust him though and realize the Prohm hire was unique.
Agreed. 2 out of the last 3 hires for basketball and football have been unreal though (Hoiberg / Campbell). The Prohm hire obviously didn't go as planned, but this situation is more like the Campbell hire.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
no, the game has referencing was Johnny’s 4th team. Barry Stevens fouled, and got a technical, at the same time. Johnny literally threw him on the bench. It was George Raveling’s first year at Iowa.

what was truly memorable was Jeff hornacek throwing alley oops to 5’11 Terrance Allen as the game wound down.

I'll point this out forever, 5' 11" (yeah OK) Terrance Allen guarded Brad Lohaus on the low block the entire second half and overtimes.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Agreed, but what does a big turnaround look like when you are 0-18 the previous season. I would say 7-11 next year would be a historic turnaround and probably the ceiling for a new coach.

That would mean winning 1 road game which hasn't happened in 2 years and then going 6-3 in Hilton. That might be too much fo ask for.

Yes but hope and seeing good basketball is enough next year. If a coach came in and the kids were playing hard, learning there offense and defense and getting better, good recruiting class and showing improvement with a new coach. That would go a long long way for me. Right now I have zero hope, the kids are getting their doors blown off by unranked teams. IT's ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

UNIclonefan

May 1, 2018
McDermott and Prohm are not the same. The circumstances they walked into were night and day different. If McDermott had been dealt Prohm’s hand we’d be enjoying consistent success. Prohm is a bad coach. McDermott is not.
Steve Prohm took over a top 10 team. How bad of a coach do you have to be to lead the program to this?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Have they? I believe McDermott is a better coach than Fred. He tried to maintain the Fred vibe by hiring his clone in a bad time, but like McDermott bad luck and a bad decision here or there turned out bad. Fred was lucky that his experiment worked. We'll see if he turns Nebraska, I don't think he will. I think outside a few no-brainer hires every coach is just a few players away from bust or hall of fame.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Jamie Pollard is not going to terminate CSP after the season. He will be granted a "COVID pass" and will return for at least one more year. (Unfortunately)
I disagree that he will coach here next year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron