Votes: 260 81.0%
  • Leaves by choice

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Get's fired

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I think a different question should be asked. How high will the heat be turned up on Chizik next year?

Chizik has a guaranteed contract thru 2012. Pollard has spent the reserve fund dry and has no money to fire another coaching staff, even if he wants to. Chizik will be here thru the end of his contract even if he goes 0-48. Given those facts, how exactly do you think anyone can "turn up the heat"?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
GC had **** left for players, you can NOT build a football program that is going to compete in the big 12 today in 2 years. Did anyone see the list of seniors that GC had to work with? If anything we should be filing a lawsuit against Mac for not working his last two years here.

I hate watching the loosing and the beat downs ISU has taken. GC needs more time.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You can say what you feel about Pollard, but big money supporters of Iowa State athletics love him and they also love Chizik. Watch the papers for a financial announcement coming soon to a Jack Trice Stadium near you.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about some upcoming "good news" a while back.... :skeptical:

bwalinga11

Dec 7, 2007
When Gene Chizik arrived he said that he had 3 players that should be playing in the Big 12. He is also getting good recruits, I'm sure he will stick around for 5+

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I voted "leaves by choice" because I think he will eventually leave by some means, but after he has righted the ship and such. I hope he rights the ship and stays till he retires (still by choice) :).

I think if hes successful here and people really stand behind him, he could very well retire here and see his baby through.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He will be a
cyclone for life

He stays and has a chance to be better Dan 2.

Actually he needs to win six next year to get positioned fo the following two tougher years. That means win all non conference, especially Iowa. No more slow out of the gate games fo the defense either.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chizik will be here for the length of his contract if not more. Personally, I think he'll be given the chance to make this his home for life. It really depends on where he wants his career to go.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
There have been quite a number of posts that Chizik has upgraded the talent level. In addition, there are quite a number of posts that the talent level has not reached the point to where it is comparable to a mid-major program.

If we have upgraded the talent level from what it was under McCarney, how on earth did McCarney win any Big 12 games?
The league came back to us versus us reaching the competition. We dominated very few times and I think we all remember how we fared when the all the marbles were on the line.:sad:

Reactions: dustinal

isubucky72

Apr 10, 2006
Iowa
GC had **** left for players, you can NOT build a football program that is going to compete in the big 12 today in 2 years. Did anyone see the list of seniors that GC had to work with? If anything we should be filing a lawsuit against Mac for not working his last two years here.

I hate watching the loosing and the beat downs ISU has taken. GC needs more time.

I am far from a McCarney fanatic, but I think this might be a little exagerated. Pretty sure there are 3 NFL players from that list of seniors you propose suing Mac over. Also pretty sure our starting QB and RB are Mac players (although underclassmen when Gene took over) and are better than average. (I am sure there are others too.) I agree 100%, that the talent cupboard was not nearly as full as it needed to be. I am hope we would both agree that the talent Gene has brought in the past 2 years is much better than the last 2 years of Mac, very evident in who is starting and who is not.

The unfortunate truth is, it is tough (although not impossible) to be an impact player as a true freshman in the Big12 on a mediocre team.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
He will be a
cyclone for life

already true, remember: Once A Cyclone, Always A Cyclone. IDK the panther fan laughed at that. I could see him being our coach for quite awhile. Maybe not until the end of time. Maybe he uses Iowa State as a springboard to a large SEC or big 12 school, maybe he doesn't make it as a HC and goes back to assitant coaching. But he and his family have become very attached to Ames. You never know how long tenured he COULD be here. But like others have said, he is going nowhere anytime soon unless Iowa State cuts ties (which I don't see happening anytime soon either) His success as a HC is directly tied to Iowa State now. McCarney didn't have a winning record here until year 6. I really think Chizik will beat that. We aren't even done with year 2 yet.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I am far from a McCarney fanatic, but I think this might be a little exagerated. Pretty sure there are 3 NFL players from that list of seniors you propose suing Mac over.

Don't know which 3 you are talking about? There is not one guy that is graduating that will be in the NFL. The two best seniors, Taylor and Bibbs, I thought they were JUCO's that GC brought in - I could be wrong on that.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If he were to pushing out a strong ISU team year after year and we paid him and respected him for it, what would be the draw to another school at this point?

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
If he were to pushing out a strong ISU team year after year and we paid him and respected him for it, what would be the draw to another school at this point?

1 - Weather
2 - Ability to recruit at a high level based on tradition.

If coach can recruit high level players to ISU on a consistent basis, I could potentially see him sticking around for awhile. But we've seen what happens - Hayden Frye and Bill Snyder. At some point, the recruiting slows.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think a different question should be asked. How high will the heat be turned up on Chizik next year?
Low: Continue to work hard,we have faith in you. Dan McCarney
Medium Low: Improve and win a few more games
Medium: Get at least a .500 record
Medium High: Go to a decent bowl, not Shreveport or Houston
High: Major improvement or you'll get Ron Princed

I think there will be expectations to finish .500 next year. I don't think he would be fired if he didn't get there but there would be heavy grumbling among the fans.