What Iowa State players have a chance of being drafted in the next few years?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Kohl has the raw talent to develop into a player that could be considered on the list. The biggest hindrance is going to be that he's stuck as a backup for another 2-3 seasons, giving him less time to prove himself in big games. The other option, and is viable given the other QBs lined up, is he transfers and gets playing time earlier on. I'd hate to lose him and know that he and his family want to stick it out here, but Becht is going to be hard to jump over, while Becht also probably not being a guy that doesn't stick around his full eligibility.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I think you’re all underselling Cooper’s next level potential.

Not sure why he hasn’t been discussed more. He looks like an NFL defensive back.

Reactions: bozclone and Cyclad

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He seems like a great college player that won't have the combine numbers to get drafted. Could see him signing as an udfa and sticking in the right spot somewhere

I feel like combine numbers will be a strength for him. His size/speed combo is freakish. Where he’ll get hurt is his coverage film and then injury history. But I kind of feel like some team is going to put 10 lbs on him and turn him into a LB.

Reactions: FeedBreece

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Don’t see Freyler getting drafted at this point. He won’t pass the physicals due to the shoulder injuries. He’ll definitely be an UDFA though
Since early this past season it became clear to me that Freylers career trajectory is very similar to Greg Eisworth. Flash early in their ISU career, one of if not the best tackler on the team, but severely limited in coverage ability for what you want at safety, especially at the NFL level. Also the injuries that they pile up over the course of time. They get/ had so much wear and tear during their ISU career, that it's almost an indictment for anyone with pro aspirations to come to ISU to play that position.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So, Rocco goes pro after this season, JJ starts next year. Problem solved.
While that would be cool, I don't see Rocco having such a year that he goes from no draft projection to high enough to leave - even with what will likely be a sub-great QB class. He would have to have an absolute monster of a year - and until I see an OL and WR group that can support that, I won't even entertain the thought.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone and BigCyFan

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Fans need to realize there are certain thresholds that NFL teams are looking at when drafting a player, especially higher in the round 1-3. Teams also look at whether you were a team captain, as appointed by coaches or teammates.

TJ Tampa fell to the 4th rd because his RAS score was a 6.31. To be a 1st rd pick, this should be over a 9

For OL, You look for traits like height, size first of all. Then look to arm length (especially for T position in the NFL) and hand size. When KO got drafted in the 2nd rd, he had the longest arms for an OL that year. They look at the first 10 yard time in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone. They don't typically care about 40 time.

for CB's, most important trait they look for is speed, your 40 time and 3 cone time. They look for height and arm length after that. Hand size isn't as important for this spot.

For WR's, they look at wheather you meet minimum threashold, usually at 5'11 and up. Your 6'6-6'6 receivers aren't highly coveted anymore. They value route running the most. They want receivers who can run 4.3- 4.48. Hand size is important, 3 cone speed as well.

For players like Dominic Orange. His value will be determined by his RAS score, age when he comes out to the draft, and how he measures at the combine. Past production isn't as valued as how they project you will be and not what you have been.

I study quite a bit with the draft stuff. It's pretty interesting.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Fans need to realize there are certain thresholds that NFL teams are looking at when drafting a player, especially higher in the round 1-3. Teams also look at whether you were a team captain, as appointed by coaches or teammates.

TJ Tampa fell to the 4th rd because his RAS score was a 6.31. To be a 1st rd pick, this should be over a 9

For OL, You look for traits like height, size first of all. Then look to arm length (especially for T position in the NFL) and hand size. When KO got drafted in the 2nd rd, he had the longest arms for an OL that year. They look at the first 10 yard time in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone. They don't typically care about 40 time.

for CB's, most important trait they look for is speed, your 40 time and 3 cone time. They look for height and arm length after that. Hand size isn't as important for this spot.

For WR's, they look at wheather you meet minimum threashold, usually at 5'11 and up. Your 6'6-6'6 receivers aren't highly coveted anymore. They value route running the most. They want receivers who can run 4.3- 4.48. Hand size is important, 3 cone speed as well.

For players like Dominic Orange. His value will be determined by his RAS score, age when he comes out to the draft, and how he measures at the combine. Past production isn't as valued as how they project you will be and not what you have been.

I study quite a bit with the draft stuff. It's pretty interesting.
What is a RAS score?

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Here is the Packers 1st rd pick, the OT Jordan Morgan from Arizona. Look at all the green colored scores which is elite. Just for comparison purposes.

1714491839179.png

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
So when you look at what players will get drafted high. Start with, what players will likely have a high RAS score, then look at premium positions (QB, OT, Edge, CB) as those positions will get drafted higher early

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
The problem with this RAS score is using data from a single time point during which a player is injured (such as Tampa’s 40 yd time with what was reported as a hamstring issue).

Time will tell, but it seems like pre-draft measurables are overvalued when there so much other “data” to draw from.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and BigCyFan

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The problem with this RAS score is using data from a single time point during which a player is injured (such as Tampa’s 40 yd time with what was reported as a hamstring issue).

Time will tell, but it seems like pre-draft measurables are overvalued when there so much other “data” to draw from.
RAS uses the combine and pro day. Most GM’s will tell you they use this to confirm what they are seeing on tape.

But if you look at top 2 rd prospects, they generally have high RAS scores minus the QB position.

RAS isn’t the end all be all, but it is quite commonly used and a good indicator of draftability.

Reactions: CyPack

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Maybe Black. Too early to tell. Neal has a shot with his size and hips.
It's really an unfair question. We're definitely a developmental school and now that we have an O Line coach that has established himself as someone that puts players into the draft the probability becomes far more likely.