What is your biggest question mark going into game week?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Thought this might be an interesting thread, but what is everyone’s biggest question mark heading into this Saturday? For me, I think it’s going to be Tom Manning and his playcalling. I thought it was pretty evident he was to blame in a lot of our losses last season (throwing the ball 30+ times against Oklahoma State for example), as a lot of his playcalls were suspect to say the least. That, along with his reluctance to let Brock run really seemed to hold us back last season. If Brock isn’t allowed to run again this year, I’m definitely concerned because the O-line has very little experience and I could see us giving up a lot of sacks

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
From what I heard, Brock had two bum ankles last year so that was the reason he didn’t have designed runs much after the TCU game, not Manning’s play calling

If that’s true, I guess it makes sense. His first season, he ran relatively often and was effective at it. Then last year, he didn’t take off as often, even though I personally thought he should have.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Pilsner or Oktoberfest? Usually first games are something light like a Pilsner but its freaking snowing here today. ******* Snow - so maybe hit the Oktoberfest early? I guess I could go straight Porter.

I'm in CoSprings, have the fireplace on and had a steaming bowl of chili for dinner. Been snowing sideways for the last 3 hours. It WAS 100 yesterday and tonight it's going to be 26. Alcohol whiplash to be sure...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It's OL for sure. Downing and Newell are definitely solid. Can the Tackles keep the rush off of Purdy? Can the group get a push in the run game? Can they work together to pick up stunts and blitzes? If Hudson is a starter, can he actually move at that weight? Can they do a better job of avoiding penalties and missed assignments than the Senior laden group of last year?

My other questions are whether they move Rose back inside (I hope so) and how much they play a 4 man front. I'm a little concerned about LB depth. They're pretty green behind the 3 starters.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
With ISU.... it's always, weather, weather, weather. Now 40-60% of rain all Friday night and Saturday.

After that with ISU.... it's always OL, OL, OL. Never changes.

Next with ISU.... it's special teams. Broken record.

Then it's winning in the margins. Haven't been good at that, although CMC always stresses it.

After that..... probably play calling.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
oline
then wide outs (this is looking like 2nd year in a row of a step down)
then interior dline
then running backs (do we have a decent 1-2 punch?)

im guessin milton is punt returner again, wondering if we can do anything there besides call fair catches

no problem with manning, would like to see purdy run a bit more especially with shortened season

biggest wish i have for offense is more diverse formations

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
From what I heard, Brock had two bum ankles last year so that was the reason he didn’t have designed runs much after the TCU game, not Manning’s play calling

Does everyone forget the UNI game? He had very strange decisions that game and his ankles should have been fine during the first game. Unless, perhaps, he injured one before the season even started.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
oline
then interior dline

im guessin milton is punt returner again, wondering if we can do anything there besides call fair catches

no problem with manning, would like to see purdy run a bit more especially with shortened season

I'd like an offense that uses very few formations and plays but can still be efficient and unpredictable. It's possible.

Question I'd have is the receiving corps for someone who can get out over the top and the outside.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
oline
then interior dline

I'm not too worried about the wide outs or the interior of the DL, and I'm definitely not worried about the RB position at all.... it's LOADED.

I am worried about OL, special teams (yes punt return included), and I'd also like to see a more creative offense and a lot better play calling.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
At this point? If we even have a game.

Not trying to be a downer or predicting doom or gloom.

But I will believe it when I see it. We still have a slog ahead of us.

• Informative
Reactions: RoseClone

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
If that’s true, I guess it makes sense. His first season, he ran relatively often and was effective at it. Then last year, he didn’t take off as often, even though I personally thought he should have.
It is, and he confirmed it after the bowl game.
The article says he initially injured his ankle during the West Virginia game which is the game after he ran for 100 against TCU.

The UNI game seemed more of Campbell not wanting to risk Brock or open up the playbook at all, I’m not sure if that really falls on Manning.

• Winner
Reactions: TheHelgo and Aclone

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Pilsner or Oktoberfest? Usually first games are something light like a Pilsner but its freaking snowing here today. ******* Snow - so maybe hit the Oktoberfest early? I guess I could go straight Porter.
Oktoberfest, maybe a Breakfast Porter?? I'll stick with my whiskey and pop tradition.