What the "alliance" was about...my view of where things are headed in expansion.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I occasionally post on the "expansion" board over at WVU and someone asked why I didn't post as much over here on these discussions. I assume many won't care what I write here, and others will think it baloney. And that's fine, that's what discussion boards are about. I'm not an "insider", I don't know anyone directly in the President's office. I did come across one trusted bit of information a week or so ago but I will hold that close but I will say it was very positive. Not trying to tantalize, but I see a lot of pessimism here and on the rivals board that are...well...wrong.

I posted this over at the WVU board today as part of an ongoing discussion...thought some might find it of interest. Its more just my viewpoint than anything else so take or leave it:

The alliance was about two things. A voting bloc to control PRECISELY what the playoff structure and rules will be. And a "promise" not to cherry pick one another during conference expansion. The B1G, despite what some here have said, has no intention of taking any teams from the ACC or PAC...and knows exactly what teams it will add to itself for its next contract negotiation (2023 I believe). The B1G and alliance also want to keep a viable Big 12...though certainly less than it has been in monetary terms...as that also helps counterbalance SEC influence. A "decent" but not truly competitive Big 12 does nothing but help the B1G by its presence....and the B1G fully understands that PAC teams like an audience and a football/basketball ethos that matches its current configuration.

Money drives things, but the B1G...I believe...realizes that its about markets AND great matchups. Hard core fanatical followings...which the SEC has in spades...are just as necessary as being in certain markets. And when I say "necessary" I mean central to making money for the league. The impact of having avid fan support is hard to quantify directly as it pertains to TV contracts....but it absolutely does pertain. If that were not true, Houston would have huge value to the B1G. It doesn't.

As to the AD statement that was put out, it is notable only for what it does NOT say...and for how VERY carefully it is worded. Likewise for nearly all of the individual AD and President statements I've seen put out publicly over the past month.

Lastly, AAU status is a deal breaker for the B1G...Notre Dame being the ONLY exception that will ever be a factor.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Disagree - it was a well-written, well-thought post that had a little different angle to it vs the standard expansion threads.

There are plenty of posts that have said "The B1G knows exactly who it will add in 2023 and it won't be from the Pac-12 or ACC." Throw in some "I heard good news that I can't share" and it is like catnip to this board.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
There are plenty of posts that have said "The B1G knows exactly who it will add in 2023 and it won't be from the Pac-12 or ACC." Throw in some "I heard good news that I can't share" and it is like catnip to this board.
Mesa has shared his info on both pay boards, this seems like a good time to remind everyone that we have some great offerings as part of our premium package here at Cyclone Fanatic. Get access to insider info as well as an entirely separate forum just for premium members. All the die hard fans are joining up. Don't miss out, get premium!

@ChrisMWilliams we can discuss my cut of the royalties as your head of marketing later.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I agree. Great matchups are a part of the equation that is being ignored. OU and UT have a far easier path to championships in the Big 12 than SEC. Championships bring $$$. But we in our fandom ignore that the casual fan would rather see OU/LSU than OU/KU. That casual fan is why ESPN is willing to pay them more in the SEC.

IMO this is what bodes well for us in the future for getting into the B1G. A consistent top 10 opponent (assuming Campbell sticks around) will draw more eyeballs of casual viewers than just normal fanbases and increase our value.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I'd expect we add the 4 teams under discussion...but do NOT sign a new GOR. Expect the new deal ESPN offers to the Big 12 to be very nice...they are over a legal barrel and are going to try and buy their way out of it. But as I said...new GOR ain't happening.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1