What was the difference in the defense in the 2nd half?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Congrats to JH, who was again found a way to figure out how to stop a team in the second half. Shut them out. I realize that TOs played a big part of them not scoring, but they also were not ripping off huge chunks of yardage in the second half. ISU only force 1 third down in the first half. It seemed like guys were open all over the field.

So,what was the difference? Different coverage? Different alignment? What?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Generalities as I don't know the terminology/techs but at the end of the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd ISU's front 7 seemed to really disrupt Oregon's timing and didn't let them get into a rhythm. ISU's offense bleeding clock only made it harder for them to get it back.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
His whole style is him watching what the opponent does in the first half against a base package and then banking on his adjustments in the second half. It's pretty infuriating to watch sometimes but you can't deny the results.
It’s why we often don’t see him blitz until the second half.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Will McDonald is unblockable. I can't imagine what he will be like with another year of offseason weights and Dave Andrews.

Anthony Johnson has had a under the radar wildly good year, did he get torched at all from game 2 to the bowl? I can't think of one play.

In the second half Jake Hummel and Orien Vance really solidified in the middle of the field. Isiah Lee is an absolute mack truck in the middle too - not an elite pass rusher but so, so dependable against the run!

Could next year's defense be just as good or better? I think so, we don't really lose much when we think about it.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
Will McDonald is unblockable. I can't imagine what he will be like with another year of offseason weights and Dave Andrews.

Anthony Johnson has had a under the radar wildly good year, did he get torched at all from game 2 to the bowl? I can't think of one play.

In the second half Jake Hummel and Orien Vance really solidified in the middle of the field. Isiah Lee is an absolute mack truck in the middle too - not an elite pass rusher but so, so dependable against the run!

Could next year's defense be just as good or better? I think so, we don't really lose much when we think about it.
I swear Will McDonald gets held more than any other ISU Defensive lineman. He was blatantly held at least three times today and they only called one.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Losing Eisworth and White on the back end will hurt, but there are a lot of young safeties to compete for those spots. Chambers will probably be a starter.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Losing Eisworth and White on the back end will hurt, but there are a lot of young safeties to compete for those spots. Chambers will probably be a starter.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a grad transfer safety brought in to at least split reps with the younger safeties. The safety spot is crucial in the 3-3-5, and we could get torched/ran on quite a bit without the right people back there.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
I swear Will McDonald gets held more than any other ISU Defensive lineman. He was blatantly held at least three times today and they only called one.
It is so frustrating that teams just get away with holding on our edge rushers because we only bring 3 guys.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
His whole style is him watching what the opponent does in the first half against a base package and then banking on his adjustments in the second half. It's pretty infuriating to watch sometimes but you can't deny the results.
That has always been the Saban philosophy. Works most of the time, but every once in a while, you run into a Johnny Football. Great defensive adjustments today and down the stretch this season! I was not worried at the half with an 11 point lead. ISU comes from behind, but they do not blow leads.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

bradnjen

Apr 27, 2010
SE Iowa
That has always been the Saban philosophy. Works most of the time, but every once in a while, you run into a Johnny Football. Great defensive adjustments today and down the stretch this season! I was not worried at the half with an 11 point lead. ISU comes from behind, but they do not blow leads.
Yeah, I was concerned we weren't down by 14 at the end of the first quarter...;)

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a grad transfer safety brought in to at least split reps with the younger safeties. The safety spot is crucial in the 3-3-5, and we could get torched/ran on quite a bit without the right people back there.
That would be why they’re bringing in a JC safety.