What's streaming that's good TV/movies

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is what annoys me with netflix, how they throw hundreds of millions at these really bad movies (rebel moon movies cost $160 million) that I think no one watches(?) and if you do watch you watch once and then never again. Looking at the slate for 2024 i really don't see anything that peaks my interest besides the pop tart origin story movie... lol. Most of the big budget movies they fund on netflix are just "throw an a-list actor into spy action movie that cost $200 million, these chumps will watch it". But maybe it's a me problem and I'm just too picky.
But I'm sure they'll pump their subscription up a time or two this year to pay for these godawful movies. I'll admit when they have good stuff like 3 Body Problem, they seem to do better with series than movies.
I agree that Netflix has some good series but man their movies are all pretty awful. I can't think of a single Netflix movie I like

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I agree that Netflix has some good series but man their movies are all pretty awful. I can't think of a single Netflix movie I like
The Irishman
Don't Look Up
Uncut Gems
All Quiet on the Western Front
Marriage Story was ******* heartbreaking
Hustle
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Okja
Maestro
Mank
Glass Onion
They Cloned Tyrone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The Irishman
Don't Look Up
Uncut Gems
Hustle
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Okja
Maestro
Mank
Glass Onion
They Cloned Tyrone
Didn't remember Glass Onion was Netflix. I'll have to checkout some of the others

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Didn't remember Glass Onion was Netflix. I'll have to checkout some of the others
For the record, I mostly agree with your sentiments that Netflix as a company produces way more diapers filled with **** than they do good movies. It seems like once a year they have one movie where they really just go for it, those movies tend to be alright. The Irishman, Glass Onion, and Uncut Gems are probably my favorite of the list but Marriage Story has some of the best and most impactful acting I've ever seen. Manchester by the Sea levels of sad though.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
REALLY suffering through this "Good Bye Earth" series on Netflix. Again, great concept, but horrible bouncing around of story line and terrible "over the top" acting. Unfortunately, I'm one that once they start a series, has to finish it. I got through episodes 5 through 9 last night and only 3 more to go. YAY!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
REALLY suffering through this "Good Bye Earth" series on Netflix. Again, great concept, but horrible bouncing around of story line and terrible "over the top" acting. Unfortunately, I'm one that once they start a series, has to finish it. I got through episodes 5 through 9 last night and only 3 more to go. YAY!
Are you hate watching it at this point in time?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Life's too short and there's too many options, just ditch it my dude.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Are you hate watching it at this point in time?
Kinda. I really think there was a lot of potential with the storyline. The execution just seems so random/sloppy and while I typically like the Korean shows/movies put out on Netflix, this is borderline into that area of "stereotypical, overly dramatic Asian acting".

I don't mean that to sound racist even though I understand it could be perceived as such. But there are many movies and shows where the acting is on part with American acting and the mannerisms are relatable and within what you would normally see in American cinema. Then there are those where the acting is like a Telemundo soap where every line is screamed or with huge hand gestures, etc. I don't know what is more typical in their media, but I prefer the first.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Finished Fallout tonight. After a bit to get used to the somewhat funky style of it all it really grew on me and got better every episode.

Gets a BIG Boxster thumbs up. We need a Vault Boy emoji on CF!

1714533174743.png

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Glad
The Irishman
Don't Look Up
Uncut Gems
Hustle
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Okja
Maestro
Mank
Glass Onion
They Cloned Tyrone
Someone else likes Buster Scruggs besides me? The Coen Bros are my favorite though so I am biased.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why do you have to finish something that is clearly a waste of time? I can't make sense of that. There's actual good stuff out there.
I have stopped watching well over 50% of the series and movies that I've started. I think we've established that there is a lot of crap out there. I give lots of them a chance, but they have to earn a full watch.

Time is too valuable to watch crap. I say that from a place of experience.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Why do you have to finish something that is clearly a waste of time? I can't make sense of that. There's actual good stuff out there.
I have stopped watching well over 50% of the series and movies that I've started. I think we've established that there is a lot of crap out there. I give lots of them a chance, but they have to earn a full watch.

Time is too valuable to watch crap. I say that from a place of experience.
Part of it is my clinical OCD - I have to do thousands of things a day that make no sense but I can't control even with the 47 pills I take for everything (strokes, heart, Parkinson's, all my mental health issues, etc).

Part of it is that I don't hate the overall premise, and there was some (very little) desire to see how it ended. I got through the final episodes last night and the end was about as disappointing as the acting throughout.

When you've watched 1,800+ episodes and movies on Netflix in the past 18 months, you have to put up with a lot of quantity over quality at times.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Part of it is my clinical OCD - I have to do thousands of things a day that make no sense but I can't control even with the 47 pills I take for everything (strokes, heart, Parkinson's, all my mental health issues, etc).

Part of it is that I don't hate the overall premise, and there was some (very little) desire to see how it ended. I got through the final episodes last night and the end was about as disappointing as the acting throughout.

When you've watched 1,800+ episodes and movies on Netflix in the past 18 months, you have to put up with a lot of quantity over quality at times.

“Quantity has a Quality of its own” ;)

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just watched A Man In Full on Netflix. I have to say it was really damn good. Liked the storyline, the actors fit the part well, and it wasn’t unnecessarily stretched out.

Reactions: 1TwistedCyclone