When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
True, Rivian's headlight looks creepy and repulsive. But overall the car is pretty good in terms of technologies applied. But I would buy my first EV only after they hit 1000-km-range mark. I don't know why but for me it is of paramount importance.

I bet your phone's charge never gets below 30%. FWIW, mine doesn't either.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I've seen two Rivian pickups this week. Both owners said they absolutely love them. 3.0 0-60 with a 7000 lb truck with a low center of gravity. $90k +/-, so an extravagance at this point, but worth keeping an eye on.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Picked up my wife's Model Y LR yesterday. Had to drive to Chicago to get it and went through a whole check sheet of things to make sure were ok. Everything was fine and the whole ordeal took less than an hour.
It was charged to 85% when left and I had to stop in Davenport one time for 23 minutes at a supercharger, and didn't stop again. In those 23 minutes, I probably spent 15 walking to Kwik Star, bathroom, buying snacks, etc. and the last 8 minutes fooling around with the new car. It told me that I only needed to charge to a certain amount but I went 10% over that just to be safe. I could see taking it somewhere like KC but I'd go with the Kia for anything longer. I think 260 miles ended up costing me around $11. So if gas prices are $3.60/gallon I think that comes to about 85mpg, which isn't too bad at 80mph speeds. Tesla costs were .34 KwH and my home will be around .11 KwH.

The autopilot (didn't pay $15k for FSD) worked fine but I discovered something that probably won't happen again but was good to find out. I had AP set on 82 and I accelerated past 85 to get ahead of a semi. Apparently, Tesla AP has some kind of rule that you can't use AP above 85 and it locked me out of AP (not cruise) for the final 30 miles of my trip. No big deal and good to know.

Now for one down side. We are about 10 days from installing our Tesla charger at home. Until then, I'm using a wall plug which means we get about 2% charge per hour :)

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
True, Rivian's headlight looks creepy and repulsive. But overall the car is pretty good in terms of technologies applied. But I would buy my first EV only after they hit 1000-km-range mark. I don't know why but for me it is of paramount importance.
The Rivian is kind of Ford Flex is appearance. Fortunately, the Flex has been discontinued so there shouldn't be much confusion.
;)

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Preview of the new BEV Silverado.

I'm not real interested in a full size truck, when the get an EV Midsize truck and the cost comes down a little I'm going to give it a pretty hard look.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Keeping my eyes on the KIA EV9. We currently own a Telluride and EV9 is essentially the Telly, but as an EV. They're already on the road in South Korea and seem to be a big hit. Sorta scared of the potential US price tag, though. Probably going to be in the $80k range.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Keeping my eyes on the KIA EV9. We currently own a Telluride and EV9 is essentially the Telly, but as an EV. They're already on the road in South Korea and seem to be a big hit. Sorta scared of the potential US price tag, though. Probably going to be in the $80k range.
I also have a Telluride. The Telluride has been in short demand since day one pre covid and I expect the EV9 to be the same. I'd wait until Kia/Hyundai commit to the Tesla plug in like everyone else. I would expect that to happen in the next couple of weeks.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
The Rivian is kind of Ford Flex is appearance. Fortunately, the Flex has been discontinued so there shouldn't be much confusion.
;)
The Flex is a great looking vehicle, one of the few Ford vehicles I would consider owning currently.
Used-2016-Ford-Flex-Limited-AWD-Ecoboost-Turbo-ONE-OWNER!-1565803160.jpg

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
If they made a hybrid version of the Pali/Telli, I might consider upgrading our '20 Palisade. Only thing it needs currently is breaks done at 71k mi on it but Stews (a few minor recalls on them currently) doesn't have an opening until the 24th.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia

Sincerely hope this plays out as promised. I’ve been a big Toyota fan for years based on what they’ve done with hybrids and squeezing out better fuel efficiency, so it was hard to get a read on their EV efforts (if they existed at all).

I have to believe their experience in improving efficiency and reliability will give them a leg up IF they can match the battery/drive systems of other companies.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If they made a hybrid version of the Pali/Telli, I might consider upgrading our '20 Palisade. Only thing it needs currently is breaks done at 71k mi on it but Stews (a few minor recalls on them currently) doesn't have an opening until the 24th.
What's up with the scheduling? I just tried to schedule a service and it was mid August for Kia of DM. Lucky for me, it's been bulletproof.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Parked behind a Rivian at the Cubs-Brewers game on Monday. Very much on the high end kind of where Tesla was a few years ago but I really liked it so hopefully they can work to get the price down over the next few years. That being said the owner claimed it can tow something like 15k lbs so in a lot of respects it is priced well within the total truck market.

Reactions: NWICY

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Idk
What's up with the scheduling? I just tried to schedule a service and it was mid August for Kia of DM. Lucky for me, it's been bulletproof.
Honestly as a lot of dealerships are like that currently though too.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Are they fixing the issue that makes them easy to steal? Granted I work and live in an area with lots of car thefts in general, but that’s been a huge issue out here.
I think that is a big piece of it.
Mine has had 2 recalls and one of the recalls is going to be them looking at my hitch to confirm that it's not one that can catch on fire, which I already know. The other is to address airbags with cars seats in the front passenger seat. Any Kia with push button start isn't impacted by the Kia/USB debacle.