When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Which courses did you play? I hope Paiute or Coyote Springs was on the list!

Aliante
Desert Pines
TPC Las Vegas

TPC was obviously the best. I'd never played in such an arid environment before. With no real rough, the ball just keeps going! It was like the entire course was one large green.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I had electric and switched to gas. It was several years ago. The electric cart had more issues than the gas one. Get one weak cell and the whole battery is shot. The gas ones have been pretty trouble free.
I had an electric for years. I do like gas for a few things but it being quiet is really nice on a golf cart being you are completely open air.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That's a nice looking cart. What's the price difference between gas/electric on these things?
Not sure as I have not really looked at gas. I had an electric for years and loved it. This one has lithium batteries and a ton of features, and runs about $10K.

Being an open air vehicle and for running around town/course it is really nice having a quiet cart. Gas has some benefits, but some companies are not even making gas anymore.

Reactions: dmclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I don't golf so am asking this from that perspective. Haven't most golf carts been electric for 15-20 years? I just assumed with the constant start, stop nature of them that would be the most logical technology. I could see some of those Gator type farm machines being either, but figured golf carts were all electric long ago.
I would say the majority are electric now, there are still some gas, but most have went electric.

Reactions: Jer

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Aliante
Desert Pines
TPC Las Vegas

TPC was obviously the best. I'd never played in such an arid environment before. With no real rough, the ball just keeps going! It was like the entire course was one large green.
TPC is the only one of the three I haven't played but my friends love it. I think Desert Pines is a Pete Dye track....I'll just say I'm not a fan. He seems to have a love affair with railroad ties, which is just one of my gripes.

LV/Nevada have big discounts for locals. I've actually brought a photoshopped an electric bill a couple times to present as "proof of residence" but I've always played with a local and they've never asked.

Reactions: cycloneG

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No. Still gas ones being made. A lot of rentals at courses are gas, they don’t have to worry about charging them that way.
Really? I havent played at a course that had gas rentals in years, almost all have switched to electric. They have little to no maintenance through the year, and most courses lease their carts from a supplier for the year, so any maintenance is done by the supplier, and they dont have to keep gas in them etc. Plus they are so much more quiet on the course.

I honestly cant remember a course with gas in the last 20 years, maybe 1. Obviously private owners have them though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really? I havent played at a course that had gas rentals in years, almost all have switched to electric. They have little to no maintenance through the year, and most courses lease their carts from a supplier for the year, so any maintenance is done by the supplier, and they dont have to keep gas in them etc. Plus they are so much more quiet on the course.

I honestly cant remember a course with gas in the last 20 years, maybe 1. Obviously private owners have them though.
Yeah these gas carts now sound like chainsaws. You need ear plugs for them they are so loud.

For courses in my area, most sit outside so gas is less of an issue than making sure chargers are there and not getting wet. I know a very large supplier of carts for Iowa/NE/SD and generally they are shuttling gas. I use ours around town a decent amount and may fill it 2-:3 times a year so it’s not kike you have to fill them every 9 holes.

I’m guessing if a course has sheds, they would have electric, no sheds gas (no sheds for their own). For tournaments where they need extra I would think it comes down to if they have enough shed space or not.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Don't know the model but saw a Genesis Elec car recently and it looked sharp to me.
I am a Jag guy and have been thinking about the I-Pace. Finally saw one in the wild sunday. Whole lotta NOPE.

Looks like a Dodge Caliber humped a Subaru Legacy. Jags are supposed to be gorgeous and this was not that.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I am a Jag guy and have been thinking about the I-Pace. Finally saw one in the wild sunday. Whole lotta NOPE.

Looks like a Dodge Caliber humped a Subaru Legacy. Jags are supposed to be gorgeous and this was not that.
I'm amazed by how ugly it and the Mercedes EQS are. That's the one thing that Jaguar could usually hang their hat on. I will say that the EQS interior is nice looking.

Kia is really killing it in the EV market right now

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
But isn’t it also very popular in oil producing countries? Gotta think they’ll continue to sponsor ICE versions.
With what I'm seeing for the 2026 regulations a full on BEV isn't happening in F1 for a long time. They're going hard on renewable fuels and almost tripling the amount of electrical power coming from the hybrid systems. The cars themselves don't really produce all that much in the way of emissions though but all the air freighting they do to get their equipment moved around the world does contribute a lot to their carbon footprint.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah these gas carts now sound like chainsaws. You need ear plugs for them they are so loud.

For courses in my area, most sit outside so gas is less of an issue than making sure chargers are there and not getting wet. I know a very large supplier of carts for Iowa/NE/SD and generally they are shuttling gas. I use ours around town a decent amount and may fill it 2-:3 times a year so it’s not kike you have to fill them every 9 holes.

I’m guessing if a course has sheds, they would have electric, no sheds gas (no sheds for their own). For tournaments where they need extra I would think it comes down to if they have enough shed space or not.
The course where I grew up, went electric at least 2 decades ago, probably 3 decades. They do not keep them inside. The put in a line of plugs next to the clubhouse and they sit outside all year. They are leased from an area dealer, who supplies carts for many area courses. They have sheds for owners to rent, but their rental carts sit outside all year, rain or shine. You rent one walk out and unplug, when you return you park back next to a plug and plug in.

My old electric cart was used extensively around town and at the course. I drove it to the course from my home and used it around town. I never had an issue, never had the batteries die on me during the day, just plugged it in after each day of use. I bought it refurbished and rebuilt, with used batteries, I believe they lasted 9 years from new, and when they died I was moving so I sold it back to the dealer I got it from for $500 less than I bought it, only with dead batteries. So I used it for several years for basically $500 rent. I was moving and it was easier to sell and for the price it was a no brainer. Now its been a few years and we think it would be nice to have one again.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even with EVs becoming incredibly common and the grid becoming radically more renewable, CA blackouts have become far more rare, now even helping stabilize grids in neighboring states. From my personal experience I moved here 12 years ago, almost no EVs back then, frequent blackouts. Now there are EVs all over the place, a majority renewable grid, and I haven’t had a power outage in over 6 years.

Reactions: BigCyFan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Even with EVs becoming incredibly common and the grid becoming radically more renewable, CA blackouts have become far more rare, now even helping stabilize grids in neighboring states. From my personal experience I moved here 12 years ago, almost no EVs back then, frequent blackouts. Now there are EVs all over the place, a majority renewable grid, and I haven’t had a power outage in over 6 years.

FEMA and a lot of other agencies have pumped ALOT of money into the grid. Ever since the NE had that outage, it’s been a major focus.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
FEMA and a lot of other agencies have pumped ALOT of money into the grid. Ever since the NE had that outage, it’s been a major focus.

I had several summers of record high temperatures the past few years with no power outage issues and you can't spit without hitting an EV in the neighborhood. Knock on wood I guess coming into this summer, but every time I read about that "EV grid" hysteria I have to laugh because the exact opposite is happening where I'm at in real time. We're going electric really fast here and the grid is simultaneously improving and getting more green vs 10-15 years ago when there were virtually no EVs but regular power outages.

Reactions: nrg4isu

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
When we go to Disney World or Disneyland (next up in June), this is now my preferred set of wheels since Parkinson's diagnosis. All electric, goes 6mph all day long - can zip around and budge rude people out of the way :). Thought about getting one with lightning bolts on the side and a an artificial muffler noise maker to really spice things up.

View attachment 128779
Ka-chow!