Where we are now

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Just 5 years ago we would have stormed the court with a top 10 victory. Might be a rebuilding year and who knows, this team may still have something special in store but this team is very fun to watch and to dream about what we’ll be like next year. Even our rebuilding years are fun. What’s some things you notice that is different then it was 7 years ago?

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I'm not sure we would've stormed the court after an 18 thrashing of a top ten team but there is definitely a different expectation for the fans now.

I think most feel that anything less than a NCAA birth is disappointing rebuilding year or not.

I'm pumped for the rest of the year and beyond.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Agreed...the crowd at the game was like, "okay, this is like the last few years...nothing to see here." TTech simply had no inside game and their 3 point shooting was atrocious. You can still see the inexperience of ISU at times (like the start of the second half), but other times the team just clicked.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
It certainly was fun to watch and hopefully they can keep it going.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm not sure we would've stormed the court after an 18 thrashing of a top ten team but there is definitely a different expectation for the fans now.

I think most feel that anything less than a NCAA birth is disappointing rebuilding year or not.

I'm pumped for the rest of the year and beyond.
All very true, I was just glancing through the remaining schedule, if we can take this momentum and go .500 the rest of the conference season I think I would be pretty happy. I will say I do like our gauntlet coming up with KU, OU, and Ten all at home in the next 2+ weeks....I believe the Texas game is winnable on the road but we need a Saturday effort.....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. I have no problem with storm courts. Sports are supposed to be fun. If people want to, no one should care. The whole acting like you’ve been there is stupid. I never want to get to the point that I take big wins for granted.

2. There was no storming Saturday since we won by 18 (usually it happens with an exciting or crazy finish) and even though tech is good, it’s hard to think of them that way. Especially since we won by 18.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just 5 years ago we would have stormed the court with a top 10 victory. Might be a rebuilding year and who knows, this team may still have something special in store but this team is very fun to watch and to dream about what we’ll be like next year. Even our rebuilding years are fun. What’s some things you notice that is different then it was 7 years ago?

Improvement as the season progresses. I still scratch my head when I look back at McDermott teams. No idea how they played so poorly. McDermott is not a BAD coach by any means, but he was downright awful when he was at ISU.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know Tech is having a good year but with having one of their better players out, and just having this feeling they'll end up out of the top 25, I'm really glad the court wasn't stormed.
I have a feeling they'll end up on that 8/9 line in the NCAAs.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I know Tech is having a good year but with having one of their better players out, and just having this feeling they'll end up out of the top 25, I'm really glad the court wasn't stormed.
I have a feeling they'll end up on that 8/9 line in the NCAAs.

Is Smith out for the season? Saturday was the first I'd heard of him being out for some reason. Him being out for any amount of time is a huge blow for them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is Smith out for the season? Saturday was the first I'd heard of him being out for some reason. Him being out for any amount of time is a huge blow for them.

As for Zach Smith’s short-term prognosis, Beard said, “I don’t know if he will back. It’s really like a huge time frame now.”

From a Lubbock website

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone and ca4cy

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
No 8 ranking or not, it's still Tech and it's a little hard to think of them as a good team. Storming the court should be reserved for exciting, big wins. Something like act like you've been there before, but still have fun.

Improvement as the season progresses. I still scratch my head when I look back at McDermott teams. No idea how they played so poorly. McDermott is not a BAD coach by any means, but he was downright awful when he was at ISU.

McDermott illustrates a little bit of the randomness of it all. He's a good coach, who had talented teams, but for whatever reason, nothing worked for him for about 5 years. I was glad to see him leave Iowa State (as an alum), but disappointed he was going to Creighton (as an Omaha native). I'm glad it's worked out as well as it has for everyone.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
We seemed to struggle with injuries every year as well as closing out some close games (some bad decisions usually).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
No 8 ranking or not, it's still Tech and it's a little hard to think of them as a good team.

It's probably not giving them the respect they deserve, but I'm right there with you. Without Smith, Tech looked really flat against us and not very deserving of a #8 ranking. We looked good and I don't mean to belittle our play, but they did not look anything like the team that went into Lawrence and punked KU.

It's still early, but losses to UT and us pretty much removed them from talk of serious contention for the Big XII title.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Ain't that the truth. He went from promising mid-major guy to totes suck to excellent again. It's just weird how ******* bad he was for a guy that obviously isn't that ******* bad. I just assume it had something to do with very dark sinister black magic . Someone cursed him while at ISU or he sold his soul just after he left to become good.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Agreed...the crowd at the game was like, "okay, this is like the last few years...nothing to see here." TTech simply had no inside game and their 3 point shooting was atrocious. You can still see the inexperience of ISU at times (like the start of the second half), but other times the team just clicked.

This is why the Red Raiders are a tried and true early exit in the NCAAs.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
In a way Im glad we didnt get some of the bigger fish we went after this summer. One it let some of our younger guys take on larger roles quicker (Lard, Wiggington) and secondly losing games with talented players should put a chip on their shoulder which usually results in great seasons following because they are fully invested and dont want to lose again.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy