Where will brock's goalpost get to go today.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I guess the question to me becomes is there any chance they pick up that flag that was obviously thrown as a DPI if that ball is intercepted? That would be a very, very bold decision, especially in front of a hostile crowd. I just can't imagine the fact the outcome of the play wasn't affected didn't in some way weigh on that decision.

And I say all this knowing full well that none of this matters because luckily he caught it.
I don't see how that's bold? Refs make game defining calls like that all the time. You've never heard refs be mercilously booed for a call against the home team?

I still say if it went down how you guys say it did then why in other similar situations do they still call the penalty rather than picking it up?

In the age of instant replay how could they just ignore a penalty they believe happened when plays get overturned all the time after review? You don't think that would potentially cause huge problems?

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I guess the question to me becomes is there any chance they pick up that flag that was obviously thrown as a DPI if that ball is intercepted? That would be a very, very bold decision, especially in front of a hostile crowd. I just can't imagine the fact the outcome of the play wasn't affected didn't in some way weigh on that decision.

And I say all this knowing full well that none of this matters because luckily he caught it.
Agree. They’re not picking up that flag if it’s intercepted; because it was clear DPI. The DB literally impedes Aiyuk’s progress (illegal) and THEN, yeah sure he makes a play on the ball.

Refs huddle and make decisions all the time. Do they pick up flags “all the time”? No, but sometimes they do. And there’s literally no explanation or details about what they specifically decided in their 20 second huddle at that time. See Kansas State game ‘17 (or whatever year that was).

There’s really no logical reason to pick up that flag. The ref literally 3 yards away, at a perfect angle, immediately throws the flag upon the DB impeding the WR. Roles reversed and it’s a clear OPI.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don't see how that's bold? Refs make game defining calls like that all the time. You've never heard refs be mercilously booed for a call against the home team?

I still say if it went down how you guys say it did then why in other similar situations do they still call the penalty rather than picking it up?

In the age of instant replay how could they just ignore a penalty they believe happened when plays get overturned all the time after review? You don't think that would potentially cause huge problems?
I get what you’re saying, they usually still call a penalty and let a team decline. But there’s no rational reason for the ref to pick up this flag other than the ball was caught, considering he threw the flag after the contact was made and after he saw the DB was making a play on the ball, but before the catch was made. The video shows that.

Say the ball is intercepted or incomplete and they do pick up that flag. What’s the explanation the ref is going to give “I changed my mind”. How is that going to look with 60,000 fans screaming at you and the media talking about that play the next day.

The refs are still human. I don’t believe they would make that controversial of a move when the circumstances don’t lend itself to be overruled, and it’s rare to pick up flags as it is. It would be a lot easier to keep the penalty as is. Since the ball was caught, it’s just as easy to pick up the flag as it is to call/decline the penalty. It’s non-controversial either way.

And, in the end, it really doesn’t matter. Other than skeptics are using it as a critique of Brock that he should have thrown another pick there. My comeback is, I’m convinced that would never have been an interception because the ref would have called DPI

Reactions: TXCyclones

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Purdy has shock jocks and opin’ers dancing faster than a foot stomping revival tent.

What I have noticed on the field with BP is that his throwing motion has changed the last 1/4 of the season through last week. It reminds me of the injured BP at ISU.. .having to play, not at 100%. I feel his elbow injury is nagging… and a serious off season program will get him back to his 100% self.
I watched JT O'Sullivans review of the Green Bay game and he pointed out multiple times that Brock was getting hit on the elbow similar to how he was injured. It was a lot worse than I noticed watching the game live. JT takes Shanahan to task a lot over the risk he puts his quarterbacks in when dropping back, and I think he makes some pretty good points.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I watched JT O'Sullivans review of the Green Bay game and he pointed out multiple times that Brock was getting hit on the elbow similar to how he was injured. It was a lot worse than I noticed watching the game live. JT takes Shanahan to task a lot over the risk he puts his quarterbacks in when dropping back, and I think he makes some pretty good points.
Brock also isn't very shy about putting his body on the line, either.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I 100% believe he doesn't say what he actually thinks. He just says what will trigger reaction.

I think there's a lot of public figures in "controversial" spaces (the two most obvious with the most passion behind them being sports and politics) who are completely disingenuous in their statements.

They say what sells.

Posted this before but this statement continues ringing true for me...

"In the 20th Century, Madison Avenue discovered that sex sells.
In the 21st Century, social media taught us that rage sells."

• Winner
Reactions: mj4cy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I get what you’re saying, they usually still call a penalty and let a team decline. But there’s no rational reason for the ref to pick up this flag other than the ball was caught, considering he threw the flag after the contact was made and after he saw the DB was making a play on the ball, but before the catch was made. The video shows that.

Say the ball is intercepted or incomplete and they do pick up that flag. What’s the explanation the ref is going to give “I changed my mind”. How is that going to look with 60,000 fans screaming at you and the media talking about that play the next day.

The refs are still human. I don’t believe they would make that controversial of a move when the circumstances don’t lend itself to be overruled, and it’s rare to pick up flags as it is. It would be a lot easier to keep the penalty as is. Since the ball was caught, it’s just as easy to pick up the flag as it is to call/decline the penalty. It’s non-controversial either way.

And, in the end, it really doesn’t matter. Other than skeptics are using it as a critique of Brock that he should have thrown another pick there. My comeback is, I’m convinced that would never have been an interception because the ref would have called DPI
I think if you start from the perspective that the play was 100% always pass interference, and there is no way the ref that threw the flag, or any other official on the field could have seen it differently and thus changed the call, then yes your opinion is the only option. I personally don't think that's called PI 100% of the time, probably more often than not, but given that the DB was playing the ball the whole way I think some refs let that go, at least some times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron