Who is Hayworth Hicks?

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Just got done looking at a few old articles on Scout. During his senior year he was rated the #23 OG in the country and one of the top 10 in California.(3-star) He had offers from 3 PAC Ten schools plus Michigan State but everyone backed off when it looked like he would not be elligible. He got his act together his senior year pulling a 3.0 but it was to late so he went the Juco route for a year. He must be fairly athletic because Washington State was recruiting him at one point to be a DT. Sounds a little like the Adrian Haughton story except we stuck with him until his grades got in order. That is kind of funny since they are nearly identical in size. 6-3 320ish. It looks like Double H mights be the steal of this class.

Reactions: Drews79

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . He must be fairly athletic because Washington State was recruiting him at one point to be a DT. Sounds a little like the Adrian Haughton story except we stuck with him until his grades got in order. That is kind of funny since they are nearly identical in size. 6-3 320ish. It looks like Double H mights be the steal of this class.

I was thinking his story parallels Tuba Rubin's. Tuba was an OG, iirc, his final year at JC. I do remember watching recruiting video of Tuba from JC games and thinking, boy, he's going to have an impact, he's quick and looks really good pulling.

Had no idea Tuba would end up at DT, although there was some speculation/wishful thinking that he might.

And Tuba was also listed at 6-3, 320-ish (315, maybe?) when he arrived in Ames.

So, both are/were JUCO OGs, both 6-3, both 320-ish, both (apparently) athletic, and speculation places both on the DL.

If Hayworth proves to be as good as Tuba, the comparison will be complete! (smile)

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
The big question will be is he going to redshirt? It sounds like Lamaak has a spot pretty much locked up, so who gets the other guard spot? Stephens or KO? Even if Hicks does RS, Stephens, KO and Lamaak will all be back the following year. I think that they will have some VERY nice depth on the OL soon.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It really seems that we have one of the hardest working staffs in the country when it comes to recruiting. I don't know if it's true or not but they seem to get guys out of nowhere late in the game.

rhicksn661

Jun 26, 2008
for thiose of you whom dont know hayworth was the 2nd highest ranking linemen comming out in 2007 the ducks and 4 other pac-10s wanted to ink him, the junior year grades needed attention i'm going to post his highlight video on youtube varsity he never gave up a tackle he was signed by reno those grades they wanted to grey shirt him last season free apartment nothing to do stand on sideline nope he played local at av college mvp he told me he gave up a tackle this season i didnt see it his times should be about 5.1 plays around 350-370 lbs often assigned to block the best d-linemen can play nose tackle iowa clone fanatics you got a jewel.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
for thiose of you whom dont know hayworth was the 2nd highest ranking linemen comming out in 2007 the ducks and 4 other pac-10s wanted to ink him, the junior year grades needed attention i'm going to post his highlight video on youtube varsity he never gave up a tackle he was signed by reno those grades they wanted to grey shirt him last season free apartment nothing to do stand on sideline nope he played local at av college mvp he told me he gave up a tackle this season i didnt see it his times should be about 5.1 plays around 350-370 lbs often assigned to block the best d-linemen can play nose tackle iowa clone fanatics you got a jewel.

I know we all certainly hope that is the case.

rhicksn661

Jun 26, 2008
summary he was not forced to play juco, ducks was ready to sign him. a test score was an issue. nevada cut off the ducks, saying he didnt need the test score they signed him. then after he signed "owe we need the score now sorry youll have to grey shirt this season" who wants to sit and watch? so play juco local with older brother, report to nevada january 08 ready for next season. juco coach "hey you dont belong in juco conciously i cant hold you" clones grabbed check out his play on avc highlights had i known he would grow to bew such a good blocker id have named him highway hicks

Last edited:

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
"
Hicks is a developing tackle with a big frame. He carries good bulk and moves well for a bigger player. He shows the ability to come off the ball with good footwork. He will take a good angle on his down blocks and can wash the defender to the inside. He pulls well for a big man but he usually gets too high. He gets set quickly in pass protection but will tend to wind up his punch. He has the ability to hold his ground against bull rushers because of his bulk advantage. However, Hicks tends to lack the core and lower body strength to be a top prospect. He does not bend well at the knee and can?t generate much power from his hips. He essentially is a waist bender and will get over extended on run blocks and end up on the ground. He needs to improve his base and he has trouble consistently sustaining blocks. He will get to much weight forward on pass protection and lose his ability to mirror and slide. With better posture combined with his hand carriage and ability to punch he will become a better protector. He must remain dedicated in the weight room to improve his flexibility and agility. Overall, Hicks is young and still developing into his frame. He has some upside because of his size and has potential to add more bulk."

Thanks for the info on Hayworth Hicks, including the links to scouting reports. The info above is from one of the links. I love this kind of technical analysis of football. Especially line play. Sometime I'm going to buy that Steve Loney offensive line instructional book or video that has something like 100 drills for offensive lineman. (btw - I still think the departure of Loney as O-line coach and OC after the 2001 season started the downward spiral for Dan McCarney. he knew what he was doing)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Sounds good to me!

Help Support Us

Become a patron