Why not go for 2?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Re: Why not gor for 2?

the only time you go for two to win a game is if you think you'll lose in OT
otherwise it's an amatuer coaching move that smells desperate, like an onside kick in the first half when you just scored

SaxaCLONE13

Nov 6, 2007

Knew this thread was gonna start up sometime! Just to get us more ****** and another thing for us to debate about!

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines

correct me if I am wrong, Did the player that blocked the kick not get leverage off one of his players? Also is not not illegal in college football?

SaxaCLONE13

Nov 6, 2007

correct me if I am wrong, Did the player that blocked the kick not get leverage off one of his players? Also is not not illegal in college football?

I also thought it was illegal to take your helmet off like that on the field, like a few years ago when the Cleveland Browns vs. Chiefs (ironically). KC kicked a field goal and missed and a Browns player took his helmet off in celebration and they got a flag thrown and KC re-kicked and made it to win the game.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I was yelling to go for 2 just like I was when we scored against UNLV last year. I'm fine w/the call, that was clearly terrible execution by our players. Win or lose, I'm cool with a call to go for 2 then. I have no problem with the coaches for going down swinging.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

I was actually just going to start a thread but decided to look through to see if anyone else saw this. This is not legal in college football. I went to a few of the local tv stations websites to see the replay. Two of the K State guys in the air are getting leveraged off of other K State players. The most obvious way to call this penalty is to watch after the play. If a player who was jumping lands on his own man, technically, this is also illegal. If you get a chance to watch from the endzone cam, its very apperant that they used their own men to jump up. Granted its not reviewable and its in the past now, it sure would have been great to have referees to call that.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny

Mahoney was 45 of 45 going in. From earlier posts it appears he was kicking low yesterday even tho CPR said it was a fine kick. Another learning lesson that hurts like hell.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006

If we went for two and didn't get it you would be ******** about how dumb coach was for not going to OT with momentum and a much, much better kicker. This was absolutely 100% the right decision.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida

Exactly! I don't know exactly what our 3d down success rate in that game was, but it was not good. We punted 5 times. So the percentages for the play that would give us the best chance to win were clearly in favor of the PAT. We were 100% through 3.99 games for PAT's. Our odds of being able to continue to a "w" on a 2 pt conversion were no better than 50% vs K St. What we did was definitely the better percentage play.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida

I was actually just going to start a thread but decided to look through to see if anyone else saw this. This is not legal in college football. I went to a few of the local tv stations websites to see the replay. Two of the K State guys in the air are getting leveraged off of other K State players. The most obvious way to call this penalty is to watch after the play. If a player who was jumping lands on his own man, technically, this is also illegal. If you get a chance to watch from the endzone cam, its very apperant that they used their own men to jump up. Granted its not reviewable and its in the past now, it sure would have been great to have referees to call that.

I looked at that play 20 times with the camera behind the defense and I could see no evidence that the player who got the block, #23, got any leverage off any other player. He made a great, well timed leap. On a previous kick, I could see a K St player's hand in front of the ball for an instant, but the leap was too early and did not result in a block.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL

Dumb question. Going for 2 would've been a terrible idea. The only reason it is even a question is because we had a PAT blocked. If he made it, you never would have even started this thread.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So after the TD I was thinking "I'd go for two"

And it wasn't that I thought we'd miss the extra point (though I did have a sneaking suspicion something was going to happen).

First off, let me say that I still have complete faith in Money Mahoney and I think he is the best kicker for ISU I've personally ever seen. 95% of the time a blocked kick isn't really on the kicker, most of the time it's on the blockers missing an assignment.

But I was thinking, we definately had momentum and you would think the KSU defense would have been pretty deflated after giving up that big TD. I would have gone for two and the outright win. Not a trick play, but with the way AA and JS were running, maybe a quarterback option. I generally would go with a pass in that circumstance, but they were both running the ball very well and they both seem to have the ability to churn their legs and get a couple extra yards.

I know it's one of those situations where you're a genius if it works and an idiot if it doesn't, but, IF you had to pick, would you have rather we lost the way we did or tie it and go in to overtime or would you rather have the big risk/big reward result of going for two?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

You kick the PAT. You just marched it down their throats and their defense is reeling. You just shut down their offense. You've only really given them one good drive all game (gave up 2 HUGE plays that were VERY preventable by the defensive line).

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

Because I'm an Iowa State fan the first thing I said after we scored the TD was go for two. I've been at two many games where the kicking game has blown it for us. Now, obviously it wasn't the right thing to do but I just had a bad feeling about the extra point.

cycloneike001

Dec 14, 2008
Ames

If we woulda gone for two and failed you would be sayin why go for two our kicker is 45/45 on PATs. But its the fact that it was blocked that you say we shoulda gone for two.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron