Why won't Jamie Pollard schedule any P5 schools other than Iowa?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Why? Iowa doesn't play them anymore. Why should ISU?
We dont play UNI every year anymore.. just part of the FCS rotation now. I believe that is the same with Iowa. They dont say they will not ever play them, just that they arent going to guarantee playing them every year or even regularly. They are just part of a FCS rotation for them too.

I believe we always play the MVFC because of the costs associated with travel. Not going to pay off for a FCS school to travel half way across the country, when the game is a money maker for them.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We dont play UNI every year anymore.. just part of the FCS rotation now. I believe that is the same with Iowa. They dont say they will not ever play them, just that they arent going to guarantee playing them every year or even regularly. They are just part of a FCS rotation for them too.

I believe we always play the MVFC because of the costs associated with travel. Not going to pay off for a FCS school to travel half way across the country, when the game is a money maker for them.
I'm guessing (total guess) travel cost is part of the full payout.

General question for anyone in-the-know: Do we get Valley schools cheaper than non-Valley? Is UNI higher or lower payout than others would be?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I asked Jamie a couple of years ago why we didn’t add Minnesota for the Trice anniversary.

His answer was twofold.

A. Because we play Iowa, and the Legislature won’t hear otherwise. (And BoR, for that matter)

B. Because he’s not going to add another P5 and risk losing CMC.

Note that this was prior to the ‘20 season, BTW.

And this is why we'll never drop the Iowa game no matter how much we (and hok fans) whine about it - we've been pretty much legally obligated to play the game since the state legislature dropped the ban on the game 40+ years ago now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm guessing (total guess) travel cost is part of the full payout.

General question for anyone in-the-know: Do we get Valley schools cheaper than non-Valley? Is UNI higher or lower payout than others would be?

From 2021...

MIssouri - SEMO: 550k
Northwestern - Indiana State: 500k
Iowa State - UNI: 500k
Kansas - USD: 450k
Kansas State - Southern Illinois: 450k
Colorado State - SDSU: 450k
Oklahoma State - Missouri State: 425k
South Carolina - Eastern Illinois: 400k
Utah State - North Dakota: 400k

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's not even how it all went down.

The series was already going to be restarted in 1977 (for 2 games), based on a 1968 agreement. In 1969, Evy and Stapleton announced that the series would extend to 1982.

The arbitration was about the 4 games from 1979-82, which had been agreed to by Evy and Stapleton. Evy "resigned" from UI in May 1970, and in November 1970 the UI Board reneged on the '79-82 part of the agreement.

That's what led to the BOR hiring an arbitrator, who made his ruling in April 1971 that the '79-82 games would be played.
I thought the venue for the game was a part of the disagreement as well. Twenty of the first twenty-eight games in the series were played in Iowa City. Included in that number were the first four games when the series resumed ('77-'80). Iowa thought that since Kinnick was bigger the series should always be played in Iowa City.

Reactions: cyclones500

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
And this is why we'll never drop the Iowa game no matter how much we (and hok fans) whine about it - we've been pretty much legally obligated to play the game since the state legislature dropped the ban on the game 40+ years ago now.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
And no, the state will not allow that game to not be played. It’s huge for the economies of Ames and Iowa City, and a huge draw for the state as a whole.
I don't buy this argument. Both Ames and Iowa City do a lot of business for any home game.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I thought the venue for the game was a part of the disagreement as well. Twenty of the first twenty-eight games in the series were played in Iowa City. Included in that number were the first four games when the series resumed ('77-'80). Iowa thought that since Kinnick was bigger the series should always be played in Iowa City.

All of the first 6 games were supposed to be in Iowa City. At the time, Cyclone Stadium wasn't even in the planning stages. There was a caveat that games could possibly be moved to Ames if a new (larger) stadium was built.

The 1981 game was moved to Ames in spring '75. The rotation started in full with the deal (agreed to in '79) that commenced in 1983.

Reactions: cyclones500

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't buy this argument. Both Ames and Iowa City do a lot of business for any home game.
Yeah, the jack may gets it another expansion if we keep selling like we did. Less than 4800 unsold seats for the whole season. Know there are contingencies if we decide to do that. If we do that, will Iowa shrink Kinnick again?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, the jack may gets it another expansion if we keep selling like we did. Less than 4800 unsold seats for the whole season. Know there are contingencies if we decide to do that. If we do that, will Iowa shrink Kinnick again?
Only thing I would like Kinnick to do is to do the South endzone the exact same way as the North Endzone.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm sure our schedule would be a lot like WVU's if our out of conference rivalry was played half the time instead of every year.

Even though we've been losing lately, because ISU has been good and Iowa has been good it has been one of the best non-conf games in college football...pretty regularly a top 3 game the day it's played.

It would be dumb to change that while it's working, we just need to win it.

I'm not sure OK St will ever want to play Oklahoma, maybe in 20 years or something.

BeachCyclone

Jan 22, 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
And the schedule would be easier if ISU is in the B1G west.
I know it’s unlikely to happen, but if ISU received a golden ticket, joined the B1G and moved Cy-Hawk to the last game of the season, it would guarantee a sellout during a month when attendance often suffers due to colder weather.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
It is true that both cities do well on home Saturdays, but if you judge $ revenue/prices by demand, secondary ticket prices, scalpers etc. Iowa game is the current leader, and I don't think we are going to get another school on a home/home basis that will bring that type of demand for tickets, lodging, restaurants etc. $$ talks. Certainly the tailgate scene is really active at Iowa games, good weather and rivalry seem to amp things up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
All of the first 6 games were supposed to be in Iowa City. At the time, Cyclone Stadium wasn't even in the planning stages. There was a caveat that games could possibly be moved to Ames if a new (larger) stadium was built.

The 1981 game was moved to Ames in sprng '75. The rotation started in full with the deal (agreed to in '79) that commenced in 1983.
Yes, but the stadium opened in 1975 and despite the caveat being in place Iowa only agreed to moving one of six games to Ames so once again 4 games in a row would be played in Iowa City in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980. There was plenty of time to move even the first game to Ames but Iowa dragged their feet much to the chagrin of Iowa State. The stadium was just a few days shy of two years old before the first game of the renewed series was played.

Perhaps that wasn't on the docket for the arbitration, but it was certainly a point of contention surrounding the renewal of the series when the first games were played.

Reactions: Aclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2022 Non-conference

BaylorFCSat BYUTexas State
Iowa StateFCSat IowaOhio
KansasFCSat HoustonDuke
Kansas StateFCSMissouriTulane
OklahomaUTEPKent Stateat Nebraska
Oklahoma StateCentral MichiganArizona StateFCS
TCUat ColoradoFCSat SMU
TexasUL-MonroeAlabamaUTSA
Texas TechFCSHoustonat NC State
West Virginiaat PittsburghFCSat Virginia Tech

Interesting that Houston and BYU area already playing Big 12 games this year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yes, but the stadium opened in 1975 and despite the caveat being in place Iowa only agreed to moving one of six games to Ames so once again 4 games in a row would be played in Iowa City in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980. There was plenty of time to move even the first game to Ames but Iowa dragged their feet much to the chagrin of Iowa State. The stadium was just a few days shy of two years old before the first game of the renewed series was played.

Perhaps that wasn't on the docket for the arbitration, but it was certainly a point of contention surrounding the renewal of the series when the first games were played.

I seem to remember that being contentious at the time of rivalry renewal, but only vague memory -- the way I recall hearing it long ago, Iowa wouldn't renew the series unless it got the 1st four games at home ... but apparently the venue arrangement was an effect of the whole process and not a "demand." So, my recollection is at least partial myth.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
That's not even how it all went down.

The series was already going to be restarted in 1977 (for 2 games), based on a 1968 agreement. In 1969, Evy and Stapleton announced that the series would extend to 1982.

The arbitration was about the 4 games from 1979-82, which had been agreed to by Evy and Stapleton. Evy "resigned" from UI in May 1970, and in November 1970 the UI Board reneged on the '79-82 part of the agreement.

That's what led to the BOR hiring an arbitrator, who made his ruling in April 1971 that the '79-82 games would be played.

Holy Crap “the shadow” knows.

When ISU begins beating UI, the series will grind to a halt

• Dumb
Reactions: Frak and Aclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron