Will Bowls be Dead in 2024?

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
With the Orange Bowl fiasco, has preparing for the NFL combine and transfers killed the bowls?

Less probable, but will the new playoffs also be hit by the same problems? I'm not sure anyone who has a shot at the NFL should risk injury in the college post season.

Reactions: Peter

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just wait until the NFL lowers the eligibility threshold by another year to years out of high school. They will have an interest in countering NIL at some point. Getting the superstars before they are superstars in college would help.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Good television inventory still for ESPN, don’t see much change beyond more meaningful games with playoff expansion.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Think they will be around until at least the contract runs out I believe in 2 years.

Reactions: Clonehomer

Spam

May 21, 2008
Bowl sponsors will probably be keeping on things, and than in turn will have ramifications

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Bowl games are like the NIT. The NIT exists, but it really does not matter to anyone beyond the fans of the teams playing. Seems about the same for the bowls. If the players don't play, then fans are not going to care very much.

Then again, let's see what the ratings are for this bowl season compared to previous seasons. If people are willing to watch, then games will continue.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Go ahead and expand the playoffs to 16 and drop the bowls.

Edit: All conference champions get a spot. Winning your conference deserves post season play. So if you get rid of the bowls, then you have to make up for it with the playoffs.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Bowl games are like the NIT. The NIT exists, but it really does not matter to anyone beyond the fans of the teams playing. Seems about the same for the bowls. If the players don't play, then fans are not going to care very much.

Then again, let's see what the ratings are for this bowl season compared to previous seasons. If people are willing to watch, then games will continue.

People watch because that’s what’s on between Christmas and New Years. I don’t think that’ll change. But I also don’t think the contracts will be as lucrative the next go around and I think we’ll see a lot fewer bowls. They should all go away, but they won’t.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Just wait until the NFL lowers the eligibility threshold by another year to years out of high school. They will have an interest in countering NIL at some point. Getting the superstars before they are superstars in college would help.
That’s not happening, the NFL needs the development these guys go through in college for them to be able to play immediately in the NFL

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
With the Orange Bowl fiasco, has preparing for the NFL combine and transfers killed the bowls?

Less probable, but will the new playoffs also be hit by the same problems? I'm not sure anyone who has a shot at the NFL should risk injury in the college post season.
Talked about on the cfb thread but no one who starts and contributes has ever really sat out a playoff game. That’s where a lot of these guys cement or improve their draft stock, they only sit out bowls because they don’t mean anything to those going to the NFL.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That’s not happening, the NFL needs the development these guys go through in college for them to be able to play immediately in the NFL
This. If you are waiting for the NFL to volunteer to lower their eligibility requirement, you're going to be waiting a long time. Just ask Maurice Clarett

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Some people are suggesting a second level knockout tourney for the best teams not in the playoffs. That would be even worse. Like the NIT in basketball.
I think it would be better than the NIT. The teams in the NIT are mid-majors and P6 teams that finished around .500 or worse in conference play. A second level tournament in college football would be mostly top 25 teams. I like the idea personally. Have two or three 16-team tournaments with one being the playoff. Other teams are free to schedule exhibition games if they so choose.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Make the 'eat the mascot' thing be actually eating a mascot and they can rebound.

Maybe start adding extreme things to it: trampolines, hot tubs, psych outs, whatever.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Make the 'eat the mascot' thing be actually eating a mascot and they can rebound.

Maybe start adding extreme things to it: trampolines, hot tubs, psych outs, whatever.

Dukes mayo bowl next year, forget the dumping of mayo on the winner. Losing coach has to eat a gallon of mayo.

Reactions: madguy30

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I think it would be better than the NIT. The teams in the NIT are mid-majors and P6 teams that finished around .500 or worse in conference play. A second level tournament in college football would be mostly top 25 teams. I like the idea personally. Have two or three 16-team tournaments with one being the playoff. Other teams are free to schedule exhibition games if they so choose.
Lower tournaments could have a straight up cash reward like the nba tournament. I think that would definitely motive players to play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron