Will fans be happy with a 4-8 record this year?

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I won't be satisfied until we are at the "next level" playing in a January BCS game. Why would anyone consider settling for less???

Of course no one would be satisfied with 4-8 consistently. But right now the "next level" is winning Big 12 games and getting into bowl games. Let's start doing that before we start talking BCS.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
I think 4-8 is far under estimating this team. We are already at 3 wins, and we lost a heartbreaker in K.C. but it could be worse, we could have Dan Hawkins as our coach. I think Baylor, aTm, and CU are all wins and we may even pick a team off that is sleep walking. 6-7 wins is still attainable, I am still putting money in my bowl fund! Go Cyclones.

Spence91

Dec 27, 2008
West Des Moines
It is now looking like we will probably finish 4-8 this season. That is doubling the wins from last season. Is that the progress that people will be happy with in year one of the Rhoads Era at ISU?

Don't think we win another game, the offense (passing game) is bad and the defense can't be on the field all day.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
How can anybody be happy with 4-8? Especially with this patty cake schedule. 4-8 still stinks.

With that said it will still be better than last year and I can be satisfied with 4 wins as long as we look competitive on the field. But happy? hell no

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I came into the season thinking 4, possibly 5 wins, but more likely 4.

After the Army game I thought we should easily get to 6.

After this past weekends debacle I think I realized we aren't mentally capable of winning 6, so I'm going back to 4 wins until I see something.

We aren't disciplined, we make stupid penalties and make stupid mistakes on the field. Our receivers aren't getting open while AA has all day to throw.

What really sucks is our O-line is great and we aren't going to benefit from it this season. It's rare for us to have such a good O-Line. Not too mention ARob is banged up, we win last weekend if he's healthy.

I hope this team proves me wrong, but last weekend was another harsh reality check in the life of a Cyclone.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually I would not be happy with four wins since we should have been capable of six wins. The chance for a bowl game in the following two years is fairly low with the rise of KU, OU, Te, MU, etc.

This has to be our breakthrough year IMO.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I predicted 4 at the beginning of the season and I'll probably leave it there. I don't see us beating both Baylor and Colorado. I have not seen any consistancy in our offense to make me think any different.

Reactions: DaddyMac

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We aren't disciplined, we make stupid penalties and make stupid mistakes on the field. Our receivers aren't getting open while AA has all day to throw.

What really sucks is our O-line is great and we aren't going to benefit from it this season. It's rare for us to have such a good O-Line.

Yes, the o-line has progressed from week to week.
I'm starting to think that coach Bleil is the best one that Rhoads hired.
I guess that's why he's the assistant HC...

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I honestly believe we will back into a few wins since the Big Twelve is down this year. This could possibly happen... @ Kansas, Baylor, @ A&M, Colorado.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I came into the season thinking 4, possibly 5 wins, but more likely 4.

After the Army game I thought we should easily get to 6.

After this past weekends debacle I think I realized we aren't mentally capable of winning 6, so I'm going back to 4 wins until I see something.

What really sucks is our O-line is great and we aren't going to benefit from it this season. It's rare for us to have such a good O-Line. Not too mention ARob is banged up, we win last weekend if he's healthy.

I hope this team proves me wrong, but last weekend was another harsh reality check in the life of a Cyclone.

We need a game breaker or go to wide receiver. With all the hoopla about how we are set in the postion, I am surprised what we are seeing on the field. If it does not improve the rest of the year, I will also be surprized. Having receivers covered may mean simplified routes, shallow routes, little imagination. Having bad passes dropping a yard in front of them may mean we are thinking too much, we are overwhelmed with the offense. This is the worst "looking" offense that we have for many years although from a yardage standpoint that is not so. Maybe we run mopre plays to get more yardage in the end.

YEAR OFF DEF (all in yards/game)
2002 381 359
2003 297 442
2004 329 329
2005 350 345
2006 317 392
2007 326 390
2008 386 453
2009 347 350

Looks like defense is doing well historically while our offense is slightly behind Chizsklick who now is ranked in the Top 25.

Last edited:

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
We need a game breaker or go to wide receiver. With all the hoopla about how we are set in the postion, I am surprised what we are seeing on the field. If it does not improve the rest of the year, I will also be surprized. Having receivers covered may mean simplified routes, shallow routes, little imagination. Having bad passes dropping a yard in front of them may mean we are thinking too much, we are overwhelmed with the offense. This is the worst "looking" offense that we have for many years although from a yardage standpoint that is not so. Maybe we run mopre plays to get more yardage in the end.

YEAR OFF DEF (all in yards/game)
2002 381 359
2003 297 442
2004 329 329
2005 350 345
2006 317 392
2007 326 390
2008 386 453
2009 347 350

Looks like defense is doing well historically while our offense is slightly behind Chizsklick who now is ranked in the Top 25.

Are those stats for the first 5 games of those season or are those the season totals. In all fairness this season has a long way to go, those numbers could get decidedly worse agianst better competition in the B12. On the other hand they could get decidedly better.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I predicted 4 at the beginning of the season and I'll probably leave it there. I don't see us beating both Baylor and Colorado. I have not seen any consistancy in our offense to make me think any different.

This. I couldn't agree more.

The D is better than I thought it would be. The O worse. Net result is pretty much the same.

I see 2 very winable games left at home. They could just as easily be losses.

Don't know how bad A&M is, don't care. I haven't seen anything that would make me think we can go on the road in the Big XII and win. Not counting it out, I just don't think it likely.

Unless the O gets it's collective **** together, and the D plays lights out (possible, not probable) the remaining 4 against KU, NU, OSU and Mizzou look to be smack downs.