Williams & Blum Pod: Red alert on bowl season, Liberty Bowl thoughts & hoops wrap-up

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some people:

*hanging on every word CW and Blum say leading up to a game

After the game:

“THEY WERE WRONG AND LIED TO ME. I’M GOING TO TELL EVERYONE HOW DUMB THEY ARE AND NO ONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM.”

Next pod -

*back to hanging on every word they say

Chris and Blum’s commentary is catered to their audience, which is a bunch of crazy Cyclone fans. Of course you’re going to get sunshine more often than not. Who is going to tune in to a couple of guys crapping on their favorite team? So you have two huge Cyclone fans, whose professional livelihoods revolve around the school, daring to be positive more often than not. Wow what a concept.

There's too much linear thinking that goes on.

'CW said ISU should win this one. What happened!?'

'Kansas was really bad for a few years so why isn't this average ISU team beating this ranked KU team?'

And when a team is not good at any one aspect, guess what? They can pull it together for one game or get some things figured vs. trends.

Reactions: jctisu

patches21

Jul 28, 2014
"They've got 20 starters coming back, they are all playing, it matters" - 2GNC a week ago

Now, our fan base is behind the times for thinking the game means something.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
"They've got 20 starters coming back, they are all playing, it matters" - 2GNC a week ago

Now, our fan base is behind the times for thinking the game means something.

The game did matter. With all of those guys coming back and their ages, of course it mattered getting all of the extra reps and experience of this game. That's been the entire point.

The outcome - as much as we all would have loved to have seen ISU win - does not change my opinion on anything as it goes with the future of the program. I don't see why this is so difficult for some of you to understand.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Extremely weird CF wasted the money to go to Memphis for a meaningless game.

We cover Iowa State. That's what we do. We "wasted" money to cover an 0-18 Prohm team play in the Big 12 tournament. Because we cover Iowa State for all of you guys. That's our job and why we exist.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
The game did matter. With all of those guys coming back and their ages, of course it mattered getting all of the extra reps and experience of this game. That's been the entire point.

The outcome - as much as we all would have loved to have seen ISU win - does not change my opinion on anything as it goes with the future of the program. I don't see why this is so difficult for some of you to understand.
I think you are confusing 2 different things. Your comment about ISU fans needing to catch up to the times regarding bowl games is nonsensical. You are getting called out for that comment.

The second thing that someone can be disappointed with the outcome of the game but excited about next year is a logical statement.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We cover Iowa State. That's what we do. We "wasted" money to cover an 0-18 Prohm team play in the Big 12 tournament. Because we cover Iowa State for all of you guys. That's our job and why we exist.

Chris, I love you man but I think you’re wrong here and you know it.

By everything you’ve said on this pod you think these games matter less than Big 12 games. And you aren’t going to every Big 12 road game.

It’s okay for fans to be pissed at a terrible effort when the admin keeps telling us to buy tickets to this stuff.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I personally don’t understand the importance of winning or losing a mid tier bowl game. Minnesota beat Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl. Is that significant? If they lost, does that mean the program is destined to be a failure next year as well?

I view non NY6 games as a way to celebrate a good season by playing one more game where players can spend a few days before the game having fun in the host city. NY6 games will be the only games that truly matter starting next season. The only reason these non NY6 games exist is because they generate money. If these games no longer become profitable, the non NY6 games will eventually fold. There have been quite a few bowl games that have ceased to exist over the years for this very reason.

For these reasons, I really don’t care about non NY6 games and the winning/losing team from those games. Just my opinion; I respect others who feel differently
the importance simply comes from the staff showing they can coach a post-season exhibition game against a team who's an inferior opponent, and we got WRECKED......got out asses whooped by Memphis.....freaking Memphis

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Chris, I love you man but I think you’re wrong here and you know it.

By everything you’ve said on this pod you think these games matter less than Big 12 games. And you aren’t going to every Big 12 road game.

It’s okay for fans to be pissed at a terrible effort when the admin keeps telling us to buy tickets to this stuff.
With various family events today I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast so I don't know what they say in it. I agree that if the message is "wake up guys, this game didn't actually matter", it's a poor choice of message. After weeks of buildup and talking about how the game mattered, don't just switch and say it doesn't matter. Just say it did matter, and we lost and that sucks, but all hope is not lost for 2024.

That said, I think it's a bit of a weird call for us to dictate what games they cover in person. It's none of my business and I don't think it's anyone else's unless you own a significant piece of this site.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think that's a fair take. I definitely agree that the springboard to next year is overvalued. I just think for a program like ISU it is pretty meaningful as you try and build. We need all the wins we can get. Keep building the perception of the program.

I also just think the whole meaningless narrative is a little bit self fulfilling
But it’s weird because people at times appear to put so much emphasis on the bowl result of this is the thinking. Maybe because it’s the last game of the season if you get to play in one? But to me the game against K State in the snow, that actually did have a lot of folks watching based on the tv numbers, is more important. I just don’t buy into a bowl result having virtually any impact, including the extra practices. You are practicing a few weeks more and then having months off, in which you are still coming back at square one after the off-season.

Former players have said on podcasts, sports talk radio and tv the extra practices thing is really overblown.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Memphis or Ames, the game was lost the minute the coaching staff sat on their ass for 30 days and didn't adjust their game plan for anything
Does it rub anybody else the wrong way when the guys who hype the bowl game, for weeks telling everybody how we all need to get down there and scold people about grumbling over the match up, then turn around after a loss and say how ISU fans are behind the times for being upset with a loss because bowl games don't matter?

Other than that, good podcast.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
The Campbell is underpaid argument would be compelling if we weren't getting out coached and out prepared by staffs that make less as a whole than he does. Also a lot of the **** he is below average at is stuff like high level high school coaches and d3 coaches are able to do.
for example.....Lance Leipold has been at Kansas for 3 years now and has already achieved a 9 win season, including back-to-back wins vs Iowa State......and this year's matchup, he completely out-coached Matt

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The extra practices allowed by a Bowl invite make it worth it. Yeah, I wasn’t thrilled with the outcome but Rocco & receivers were dy-no-mite. Memphis coaches had the K-St video & no way were they were letting Abu light them up…so they stacked the box and dared Rocco. Take away the two long balls in the first quarter and it’s a different game. CF posters that have their feelings hurt by the hype from Pollard & CF Staff “selling” the Liberty Bowl didn’t live thru the decades of non-Bowl participation. I remember the bad times….pass me a Busch Light.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think you are confusing 2 different things. Your comment about ISU fans needing to catch up to the times regarding bowl games is nonsensical. You are getting called out for that comment.

The second thing that someone can be disappointed with the outcome of the game but excited about next year is a logical statement.
Because our fan base does need to catch up with the times. Like it or not a portion of our fanbase, as shown by these past few days, still are stuck in the old days where the giant hoodwink of bowl games that aren’t tied to the national championship matter. They never have mattered and the bowl industry has played us for fools for decades. Players and many have caught onto it in the last ten years thank God.

Someone said earlier in the thread so you are fine with the bowls going away and when the season is over there’s no chance for that extra game? To which I say yep, just like any other sport. You either make the playoffs to play for a championship or you don’t.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
It seems pretty clear to me that true pay for play is the only way to fix all of the post season bowl problems. Obviously pay for play comes with a whole bunch of other huge landscape changes as well.
no, coaching is the end all be all.....yes having talented players helps but we have increased our talent level since CMC first arrived here but still struggle with the same problems....it all falls back on coaching

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
no, coaching is the end all be all.....yes having talented players helps but we have increased our talent level since CMC first arrived here but still struggle with the same problems....it all falls back on coaching

True to an extent but I don't see a lot of ISU OL or DL in the NFL. Everything is easier when those areas are good.

The talent has upgraded but has not been dominant with exception to a handful of individuals.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
the importance simply comes from the staff showing they can coach a post-season exhibition game against a team who's an inferior opponent, and we got WRECKED......got out asses whooped by Memphis.....freaking Memphis
True. But significance does that loss have? It really doesn’t change anything and will have no impact for next year