WNBA Draft April 10

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
So, to recap, the Wings drafted four players in the first two rounds, and all are 6'0" to 6'1". Bold strategy.
They actually signed cut and resigned Goose before she found quite a permanent home at Phoenix

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Clark will never be as popular as the time she spends in Iowa City.

Not sure about that. I don't like some of her antics and the fact that she is a Hawkeye makes it even tougher to like her too but even after she leaves Iowa she is going to rake in endorsement money and probably be a popular figure in the WNBA too. If she gets a shoe deal with Nike it won't matter if she is in college or WNBA, her income will mostly come from the deals she cuts outside of basketball.

She gets a ton of local coverage now but she could be the Steph Curry of the WNBA if she keeps dropping those 25 foot bombs against the best in the WNBA and that will get attention too. My guess is if Iowa makes the Final 4 or championship game again next season and falls short of a national title again she probably comes back for the COVID year trying to win the Natty. If she gets that Natty she has nothing left for motivation for a 5th year and declares for the draft.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just remember Bridget was drafted by Connecticut and did virtually nothing for them, then found a great spot in Minnesota. Joens might not make the roster in Dallas, but that doesn't mean she won't stick somewhere else.

Same class as Carleton, Megan Gustafson was drafted by Dallas, cut by Dallas, brought back by Dallas all in her first year. Cut by her drafting team, just like Bridget, and has played four years.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Same class as Carleton, Megan Gustafson was drafted by Dallas, cut by Dallas, brought back by Dallas all in her first year. Cut by her drafting team, just like Bridget, and has played four years.
Bridget’s minutes with the Lynx almost doubled Goose’ minutes.
Goose also was signed by Mystics and played 11 games before being cut.
Goose will be a backup for Griner this season I think. If Griner plays a lot of minutes, her time might be more diminished.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
  • Informative
Reactions: Marcelason78

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think I’ll get the league pass for the first time

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Steph can get $72k
Ashley can get $63k

Interestingly the pay is more on the "tier" instead of individual draft position - eg. Rd 1 1st to 4th pick: 72k, 5th to 8th pick 69k, remaining 1st rounder 66k, 2nd rounders: 63k
Due to the injury, Soares does not count against the Wings roster limitation. But does she count against the salary cap?

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Due to the injury, Soares does not count against the Wings roster limitation. But does she count against the salary cap?

I think you only burn a draft choice. I think I read a drafted player that can't play doesn't actually sign a contract till the next season. So, no roster spot and no hit to the cap. Looked but can't find the article on another player in Soares situation that explained it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Holly Rowe was great working the room and talking about each family, including the Soares and Joens families.

Reactions: acoustimac

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Listening to the Drive. Heather shocked at how high Steph went. If she did her job and did her homework she would of seen many predicted Steph to go high.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
Holly Rowe was great working the room and talking about each family, including the Soares and Joens families.
Holly is getting a lot of flak online for her work at the draft. South Carolina fans, in particular, have called out her interview with Brea Beal and some of her comments as she went around the room. Lots of support for Andraya Carter as the onsite face for ESPN on draft day.

My vote is for two people on the floor. They were asking Holly to do an awful lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk