Would we fire Fred?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Would need more data. Just 1 season of 0-11 after major turnover? Probably not. 5 seasons in and slowly trending down to this? Yeah.

Though that buyout he has might prevent us from making a move too. Especially if we had the additional problems on the football side.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't think we would have ever fired Fred, we would have asked him kindly to resign.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Last night was terrible coaching. Had a lead with just 2 or 3 minutes left. Players started chucking 3's with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Everybody wanted to be the hero that hit a big three and gave them their first win. But, everybody missed and then they lost the game. Glad he's not at ISU. But no, we wouldn't fire him today either.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can you keep any coach that goes winless in any league in the 3rd year might be a better question. If the mayor goes winless in the conference this season, he will be fired and should be.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I said this last year, but if I were Nebraska, I would’ve eliminated his buyout clause and let him walk if he wanted to. Because they were never going to get a college to pay that ridiculous buyout, and now they’re stuck with a brutal contract.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Would need more data. Just 1 season of 0-11 after major turnover? Probably not. 5 seasons in and slowly trending down to this? Yeah.
Sorry, 3 seasons of single digit wins at a power conference school and you should be fired. I don't care who the coach is. He's at 20 wins in nearly three seasons. Barring a miracle he's going to average about 7 wins per year over three years. I don't know what their schedule is, but a typical power conference school has nearly that many pay for play, low major games in that period.

It's why I hate the people that justify everything bad for ISU this year because ISU won 2 games last year, as if that is some meaningful bar. If you don't win 10 games at power conference school, barring a Dave Bliss type situation, you haven't done a very good job. It would've been understandable at ISU if we won 8-10 games, but it wouldn't have been a good job because "we've won 5 times as many games."

A bad power conference team should fall ass backwards into 8-9 wins a year. If you can't even do that going on three years, it's over.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Sorry, 3 seasons of single digit wins at a power conference school and you should be fired. I don't care who the coach is. He's at 20 wins in nearly three seasons. Barring a miracle he's going to average about 7 wins per year over three years. I don't know what their schedule is, but a typical power conference school has nearly that many pay for play, low major games in that period.

It's why I hate the people that justify everything bad for ISU this year because ISU won 2 games last year, as if that is some meaningful bar. If you don't win 10 games at power conference school, barring a Dave Bliss type situation, you haven't done a very good job. It would've been understandable at ISU if we won 8-10 games, but it wouldn't have been a good job because "we've won 5 times as many games."

A bad power conference team should fall ass backwards into 8-9 wins a year. If you can't even do that going on three years, it's over.
I was kinda putting my view in the framework of "what if Hoiberg never left, then eventually this happened?". If we had the same trajectory NEB has had in his time, then yeah, it would definitely be a discussion. Wouldn't be fired midyear but let go after. Just going 0-11 in a vacuum isn't enough background though, going off what the OP provided.

We basically went through this with Prohm dropoff, but even he squeezed in that 2019 team between some bad teams. Hoiberg hasn't even lucked himself into a passable team yet at NEB.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron