Would you press a button to guarantee ISU would never win a national championship, but also all Hawkeye fans would be rendered mute?

Would you guarantee ISU would never win a national 'ship, but also all Hawk fans would be mute?

• Yes, absolutely yes

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 78.8%

• Total voters

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Thought experiment? Yokay. Warning: YMMV.

The thrill of an NCAA championship might be fleeting, a burden to maintain, and an eventual embarrassment if it were the only one. On the other hand, the pleasure derived from shutting Squawks up would last forever. Throw in their stopping the use of sick children as promotional props, and I would be in like Flynn, in a heartbeat.

mad scientist.png

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I can't for the life of me figure out why people always throw out OSU as a rival in football. There is nothing natural about that being a rivalry. Sure, there have been a few heated or big games over the past 15 years, but I'd never call them a rival. I can tell you we certainly aren't a rival in their eyes, just a nuisance.
I agree on some level, though I'd add two things. I do think ISU/KSU/OSU fans recognize similarities between the schools, and because of that, there's at least a bit of natural rivalry. The other factor is OU leaving the Big 12 and that series not continuing. If there had to be a rival for OSU, I think that the recent competitive nature of ISU/OSU games and some similarities between the schools make Iowa State the best fit.

However, I think realistically, most OSU fans would just consider themselves rival-less now, especially with the Big 12 schedule not having any games for them or us that are guaranteed to be played every year.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
When was the last time an ISU team competed for and won a national championship? Cross Country in 94?

So in all honesty...what are we giving up here to not have to listen to Iowa fans arrogance? In the world of NIL, it probably is a good trade for ISU fans.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I agree on some level, though I'd add two things. I do think ISU/KSU/OSU fans recognize similarities between the schools, and because of that, there's at least a bit of natural rivalry. The other factor is OU leaving the Big 12 and that series not continuing. If there had to be a rival for OSU, I think that the recent competitive nature of ISU/OSU games and some similarities between the schools make Iowa State the best fit.

However, I think realistically, most OSU fans would just consider themselves rival-less now, especially with the Big 12 schedule not having any games for them or us that are guaranteed to be played every year.
Yeah, you guys are making a good case for OSU becoming a rival. I would say we're still in the dating stage rather than the romp every night phase, but eventually it's going to be more natural than say a BYU, Utah, etc. Colorado could give them a contest though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BCClone and MJ271

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Would that include media, because they definitely are hawk fans?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If anybody can't handle Iowa fans to this level, I just have one message for you:

kobe-bryant-soft.gif

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE