Would you turn it in?

If you found $1M in cash on the road, would you turn it in?

• Yes, it's the right thing to do.

• No, finder's keepers!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You people keeping a bit, are you just hoping the amount you kept is small enough to not make it worth the time for repercussions?

If you took the cash and stashed it in your home, what’s the repercussions? Wait it out a year and see if there’s any activity around it.

To me, the biggest issue is how to spend it without the IRS getting interested. You’ll need to start some sort of service business to launder it slowly.

But it isn’t keeping the money that gets you in trouble, it’s spending it.

Reactions: BACyclone

HackTheGibson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 18, 2013
Omaha
Follow up question - how much money before you think you need to turn it in? Obviously everyone here will keep the dollar they found on the ground. What's the breaking point? Is it 1,000? 5k? 50k?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I feel like odds of something being attached to it negatively would be high and that it would likely follow you or cause you to always feel off. I'd be looking over my shoulder and always wondering who's watching or who it actually belongs to. Like another pointed out, something illegal attached to it and someone will be looking for it. Just wouldn't be good for a person's health.

I'd lean turning it in because I likely wouldn't want any part of it.

If you turned it in and it was related to an illicit organization, do you think they’re going to be happy with you anyways? To me, it’s either keep it or leave it be. There is no reward for turning it in.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If you turned it in and it was related to an illicit organization, do you think they’re going to be happy with you anyways? To me, it’s either keep it or leave it be. There is no reward for turning it in.
And the next step. After you've waited the year after turning it in and the police return it to you... by then there are literally dozens of people who know you have the money. And without a doubt, one of them is going to be intimidated by the bad guys and they'll come to you for it anyway.

Might as well take your chances with the bagless money and only you knowing you have it on the first day.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Would be tough to keep that a secret.

And even harder to spend it without arousing suspicion.

Might turn out to be less fun that one might think.

View attachment 127337
One person might be able to keep a secret for a lifetime, but if you live with anyone else it would be nearly impossible. And if more then one person knows it's not a secret.

And the secret part is before you even try to spend it all without someone finding out. Sounds like the makings of a miserable life.

Now if you could claim that money legally as found goods not claimed by a rightful owner, that's a whole different story....

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Clearly marked bags - turn it in
Found near my house - turn it in
Indescriptive bag in some remote area - transfer it to a different bag, verify that there are no tracking devices, hang onto it for awhile and check news feeds to see if it's reported.

Also, I think some of you underestimate how easy it would be to spend $1 million in cash without being noticed. You could go another country on vacation and have a pretty fun time as long as you don't buy stuff that you return home with. Things like excursions, drinks, tickets to events, etc are all pretty untraceable.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
You would not have to spend it right away; a million dollars would buy a lot of stuff over the next 20 or 30 years. Things like utilities, groceries other items are purchased with cash always. Seen many an Amish down here grab a roll of cash out of their pocket and start peeling them off to pay for things.
This. You wouldn’t be able to go out and buy new cars and a house with it. The financial burden that is relieved from you by never worrying about having enough money in your bank account for groceries, dinner and drinks out, utilities (assuming you can go the local office and pay in cash), and other everyday purchases. Sign me up

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Clearly marked bags - turn it in
Found near my house - turn it in
Indescriptive bag in some remote area - transfer it to a different bag, verify that there are no tracking devices, hang onto it for awhile and check news feeds to see if it's reported.

Also, I think some of you underestimate how easy it would be to spend $1 million in cash without being noticed. You could go another country on vacation and have a pretty fun time. As long as you don't buy stuff that you return home with. Things like excursions, drinks, tickets to events, etc are all pretty untraceable.
You could set up a small business out of your home, use that as a way to funnel money into your bank. Mowing yards or something like that, put out some advertisement, and then start making weekly deposits of say $500 to $1500 in cash to a couple of different banks in your area. Purchase all cloths, groceries, nights out, utilities with cash. You are in no hurry, if it takes you five or ten years to get most of it in the bank, big deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You would not have to spend it right away; a million dollars would buy a lot of stuff over the next 20 or 30 years. Things like utilities, groceries other items are purchased with cash always. Seen many an Amish down here grab a roll of cash out of their pocket and start peeling them off to pay for things.
You would become Dave Ramsey’s favorite person. He tells people to be 100% cash.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
As others have said, No Country For Old Men comes to mind but so does A Simple Plan which is the same situation.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
To the people who think finding abandoned property is stealing even though there are laws regarding it, I have one question. How tall is your horse because that thing must be mighty high.