Yikes! I’m Okay Not Playing UConn

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Doesn’t look like Illinois has anything left in the tank after playing our defense two games ago. Completely out of gas.

It maybe a factor that they put together their own defensive effort for a game.

They pressured the ball much more than usual as a point of reference and perhaps it's just not sustainable vs. much of their conference season.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It’s hard to imagine a scenario where you’d rather lose a close game in the Sweet Sixteen rather than make it to the Elite Eight and get beaten badly. We might have seen that unimaginable line crossed tonight…. maybe. I can’t imagine saying that but watching Illinois getting castrated live on TV looks like Saw X.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Our defense might have had a chance of keeping it around 15 or so. I think all of us knew this was the end of the road on Selection Sunday.

It's a shame when we have our best teams we are thrown into situations like this, meanwhile teams like Clemson and Alabama get put in a chaos region.
They created that chaos. We lost to a lower seeded team which happens. Oh well. There is zero guarantees if we would have been in a different region.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s hard to imagine a scenario where you’d rather lose a close game in the Sweet Sixteen rather than make it to the Elite Eight and get beaten badly. We might have seen that unimaginable line crossed tonight…. maybe. I can’t imagine saying that but watching Illinois getting castrated live on TV looks like Saw X.

I’m with you, but a 30-0 run in college basketball is unheard of. Thats a serious black eye to a program.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If they held Illinois to 52 there's no way we'd score much over 60 even with a great game...and our chances of holding UConn below 60 are not good.

Basically we lost a coin flip game to make Elite Eight because we had a horrible first ten minutes. That was going to be the end of the road...because of our seed and site.

Since they have the bodies to handle Edey it's really theirs to lose far more than most years.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder how much of this is UConn, pulling out of their bag of tricks that Illinois couldn’t prepare for with two days notice, especially after preparing so well for us

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If they held Illinois to 52 there's no way we'd score much over 60 even with a great game...and our chances of holding UConn below 60 are not good.

Basically we lost a coin flip game to make Elite Eight because we had a horrible first ten minutes. That was going to be the end of the road...because of our seed and site.

Since they have the bodies to handle Edey it's really theirs to lose far more than most years.
Edey may break down during that game.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I wonder how much of this is UConn, pulling out of their bag of tricks that Illinois couldn’t prepare for with two days notice, especially after preparing so well for us
Tough ask for IL or ISU. Game finished after midnight local time, I think. Probably 2am before you get back to the team hotel. Then you get one day to prep for UCONN. Rough.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Tough ask for IL or ISU. Game finished after midnight local time, I think. Probably 2am before you get back to the team hotel. Then you get one day to prep for UCONN. Rough.
This likely has a lot to do with it, to be honest. UCONN had their S16 game wrapped up by halftime and had more time to recover before this game. Illinois had to play a physically demanding team for the whole game and had a groggy day of prep for the best team in the country.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I would have rather they lost to National Champ again.

Illinois seemed to start the game with no plan, guarding Clingon with skinny guy. Then they passed up 3s to drive right at him on other end. ISU might have lost but still sad they didn't come all the way back Illinois

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
UConn is stupid good.

I don't know how they lost any games this season.
Big guy did get hurt, missed time, and doesn't play ton of minutes. They shot poorly first half tonight, guessing they got heavily out shot from 3.

I haven't watched Purdue, but at least if Edy is really as good as advertised and they can shoot, they could challenge in Final. Or Duke had to have enough talent to not get ran out of gym. Hoping for good game

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
At this point, go UConn

6 titles in 25 years or whatever it is will be tough for the KU types

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’m sure it’s pollards fault somehow.

Reactions: isu83

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Illinois blew their load in the first half against us. When one of Shannon's 3"s hit front iron, bounced straight up, and then dropped I said "I bet that's the game right there". Whole season ends by a quarter inch. Anyway, we should have won that game. I've never seen so many point blank shots missed. Thank God for Gilbert.