You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What was the joint that had the belly dancers and the flaming cheese? You know, the one where I learned to shout "OPA!"
I have no idea on this one. Maybe Lovish or the place next to it just west of Copyworks?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There was an Italian place on Lincoln Way out on the west side of town. I absolutely can’t remember what it was called. The homemade pasta was phenomenal the couple times we went there.

It looks like its a place called Big Wigs Bar now.
This:
Jonas took my pick so I'll do another one: Pazzesco.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Kinda related, but where do the kids go to party these days. In my day all the Welch bars had lines every Fri/Sat night. Now
For nostalgia purposes, I cast my vote for Home Team Pizza. I can't say it was overly good pizza nor healthy for you but it was a way of life for college kids in the 90's to early 2000's. I am fairly confident I have permanent scars in my mouth from the grease burns of inhaling the slice of pizza on the way home from the bars.
It was like 3 larges for $10.99? ish

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I have no idea on this one. Maybe Lovish or the place next to it just west of Copyworks?
Probably existed before you were born. East end of Lincoln Way...out by where Hickory Park was before it got famous...
(see, toldja it was before you were born)

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I only went to O'Malley and McGees once but the fajitas were dang good from what I remember and the place had a fun feel to it.

West Cyde Wings was great due to the wings being much bigger than other places. My brother and I would go there to watch games and get some wings.

Was there two different Battle's BBQ? I think I only went to the later one and it was a little meh. I was repeatedly told that it used to be a lot better.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The Ames truck stop. Buy a burger, knife, and a wallet chain at 3AM.
If we are talking the same locale, the Skel Diner there back in the day was the go to place for breakfast after the bars closed on weekends. Great omelettes!

Reactions: Peter

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Anyone remember the burger joint in the basement below Peoples Drug at Lincoln Way and Welch circa 1984. Can't recall the name. Didn't last long but had a decent burger.

And then there was a place up the street called Suds-n-Duds. If I remember right, you could drink and dine while getting your laundry done.
Burger Baron?

Reactions: 2122

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've seen a few LJS mentions. You all remember they had beer on tap there? Crazy.

Reactions: ruflosn

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I only went to O'Malley and McGees once but the fajitas were dang good from what I remember and the place had a fun feel to it.

West Cyde Wings was great due to the wings being much bigger than other places. My brother and I would go there to watch games and get some wings.

Was there two different Battle's BBQ? I think I only went to the later one and it was a little meh. I was repeatedly told that it used to be a lot better.
George was sick and died 05. It hung on for awhile, but once his kids took over it went south quick. Nostalgia and characfer couldn't be beat at the old spot, but food/quality remained consistent in early part of the move. Should've sold to manager he trained.

Eventually Gyro cart/flying burrito guy bought from his family after a few years. Turned into Battle Cry? Maybe had once, but was a shell of its former self.

- PT help summer & fall 2005

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ScottyP

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron