Your very early prediction: Utah @ ISU

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Utah wins by 17+. I have seen this Cyclone Movie before. If ISU wins this game and puts together a competitive game against OU then I will be more positive. Right now I just want them to get to 6 wins. Don't care how. Just get er done.
:skeptical: This is not a Dan McCarney coached team, whatever the story was in the past, is in the past. ISU may not win, but dont base your prediction on history that did not incorporate Rhoads.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Its going to take a little more than 1 or 2 seasons of CPR football to wash away years of failure away ;( That is just the way I am. I do feel a lot better about ISU football but I am I am containing my excitement for now.
I really want to see how these next 3 games play out before I get to crazy. This staff has never faced a 3 game stretch like this. Brutal. I hope to not see a 52-10 type score in norman.
We shall see....This is the same team One week ago people were debating if they would win another game or not.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Hi all, and greetings from Salt Lake. Been lurking around your board this morning...looks like you have a great group. Impressed with your win yesterday, and very excited about the game Saturday. Wanted to correct a couple things though:

Actually, we gave up 55 to TCU just last season. however, that game was quite an an aberration (we had a true freshman starting his first game, and TCU had that game circled all year) against a legit top-10 team. Not a chance it happens again this year.

Actually, I don't think that bodes well for ISU at all. Utah under Coach Whittingham is 16-1 when we have more than one week to prepare. This includes season openers, bowl games (in which we have a 9-game win streak) and bye weeks. Combine that with the fact this team is hungry to prove themselves against a good team like ISU, and my guess is that we come out firing on all cylinders.

I'm really looking forward to this game as a barometer of where our team is. We haven't played anyone good yet (we thought Pitt was going to make some noise, but alas...), so it'll be interesting to see how our defense fares against a legit offensive squad. I'd be very surprised if we gave up more than 21, but strange things can happen. My prediction is a tight game with Utah pulling away late, 31-21.

Yes, but most of your losses have come on the road especially long road trips. Heck, you even struggled to beat a poor Michigan team on a long road trip a couple years ago.
Fans always underestimate what a long road trip does to a team. More time than not, the team does not play well. I honestly think Utah is the best overall team we have played this year so I am not predicting a win. A lot of interesting things that could affect this game

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I would say that Arnaud reverts back to his old ways and throws a couple horrible interceptions as Utah rolls to a 31-10 victory but after drinking that big glass of kool-aid I'm going with 30-24 Clones!!!!!! And yes we will storm the field!

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
We've tasted two straight victories... and I'm 100% we're still hungry.

I predict CPR will have our team ready. As I said before, being that the game is in Ames makes me like our chances... A LOT.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
My prediction:

I continue to follow my pre-game rituals.
a) Get Good night sleep the night before the game.
b) Wear Lucky #7 (Bret Meyer) shirt all afternoon.
c) Eat Large plate of nacho's exactly 1 hr before Kickoff.
d) Close my eyes on all FG's and PAT's

If I follow these guidelines, ISU wins 45 - 42.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the 1st qtr is going to be huge, if we don't have any big mistakes or give up any big plays early we'll be in it for the long haul but sadly I can see something happening early that blows this one open. Utah is as good as anyone CPR's staff will have faced and is one of the best coached teams we'll play all year. It's going to take a better performance than I believe his team is capable of. But hey, I'm more than happy to admit I was wrong last week, heres to being wrong again.

Utah 37
ISU 10

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
My prediction:

I continue to follow my pre-game rituals.
a) Get Good night sleep the night before the game.
b) Wear Lucky #7 (Bret Meyer) shirt all afternoon.
c) Eat Large plate of nacho's exactly 1 hr before Kickoff.
d) Close my eyes on all FG's and PAT's

If I follow these guidelines, ISU wins 45 - 42.
If I follow my regimen:
1)Pick Utah to win 31-21 (I picked Tx Tech by 10)
2) Wear my Seneca Wallace Jersery (tech enjoyed that)
3) pay to park because I miss my ride to Ames
4) Cheer Cyclones in an opening half blow out.

SkinyUte

Oct 3, 2010
Yes, but most of your losses have come on the road especially long road trips. Heck, you even struggled to beat a poor Michigan team on a long road trip a couple years ago.

True, but it's tough to take much from a season opener (which the Michigan game was) during any season. Coaches always say the biggest improvements in any season come between games 1 and 2, and that year was no different. While we may have started out with a close one against Michigan, we ended that season thumping Alabama in what was essentially a road game. :)

Reactions: CycoCyclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
True, but it's tough to take much from a season opener (which the Michigan game was) during any season. Coaches always say the biggest improvements in any season come between games 1 and 2, and that year was no different. While we may have started out with a close one against Michigan, we ended that season thumping Alabama in what was essentially a road game. :)
I am just saying...in general... a long road trip usually has an affect on a football team. This can be said for most teams, not just Utah. Long road trips wear on a team. They throw off schedules, they relax/alter the mindset, etc. It is time where guys have to kill time and keep their mind fresh. Then once Uth gets here, they have a long day with the night game.
Again, I think Utah wins this game but it will be an interesting game to see. ISU needs to have a good first quarter. Get the ball first and get some points on the board in order to have a chance

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
The Utes are a good team, but I think we are on a roll. If the team can stop penalizing themselves in the red zone (like 2nd half Sat), and keep from throwing picks (1st quarter was a lucky fluke drop), ISU can win this thing. I'll say 28-24 Clone win.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Hi all, and greetings from Salt Lake. Been lurking around your board this morning...looks like you have a great group. Impressed with your win yesterday, and very excited about the game Saturday. Wanted to correct a couple things though:

Actually, we gave up 55 to TCU just last season. however, that game was quite an an aberration (we had a true freshman starting his first game, and TCU had that game circled all year) against a legit top-10 team. Not a chance it happens again this year.

Actually, I don't think that bodes well for ISU at all. Utah under Coach Whittingham is 16-1 when we have more than one week to prepare. This includes season openers, bowl games (in which we have a 9-game win streak) and bye weeks. Combine that with the fact this team is hungry to prove themselves against a good team like ISU, and my guess is that we come out firing on all cylinders.

I'm really looking forward to this game as a barometer of where our team is. We haven't played anyone good yet (we thought Pitt was going to make some noise, but alas...), so it'll be interesting to see how our defense fares against a legit offensive squad. I'd be very surprised if we gave up more than 21, but strange things can happen. My prediction is a tight game with Utah pulling away late, 31-21.

No offense, but I don't think this stat really means anything at all. So the Ute coach is 16-1 with more then a week to prepare.... most season openers are cake walks. If we are counting bowl games a coach will typically have over a month to prepare his team for that 1 game which is no comparison to having a bye week during the regular season.

On the other hand our head man CPR is undefeated in night games. Does that mean that Utah has no chance?

All these stats are is a way to make the respective fanbase feel better about their chances to win a particular game based on an aspect of the game that really has no importance. Would I feel good about ISU's chances in a night game against Alabama on the road? Not so much.