Zone defense?!? WHY?!?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Everyone and their dog knows what we run, the same ol' zone. All they need to do is find the gap and instant 1st down. The coaches might say we dont have the personnel to run man, but there are better options. Id rather get killed by man coverage than zone. I doubt we'd give up 80% completion with man coverage. I wanna call Gene monday night to see what his idea is with the predictable D were running.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Everyone and their dog knows what we run, the same ol' zone. All they need to do is find the gap and instant 1st down. The coaches might say we dont have the personnel to run man, but there are better options. Id rather get killed by man coverage than zone. I doubt we'd give up 80% completion with man coverage. I wanna call Gene monday night to see what his idea is with the predictable D were running.

Do it! I'll listen.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Everyone and their dog knows what we run, the same ol' zone. All they need to do is find the gap and instant 1st down. .

It's unusual nowadays to see successful deep post routes; let alone A/M had three of them in the first half.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It starts with our complete inability to put any pressure on the passer. Anyone that knows even a little about football knows teams that struggle on the defensive line often run some sort of zone in the secondary.

If we want to get better on defense, we need quicker defensive linemen.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Is our defnse so basic that they can only play one scheme?

If we do not mix it up, the rest of the year will look like the last coming of the fuller brush man. Our defenders are rarely close to the wide receiver when the ball comes in.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
If you let a QB stand and pick his receiver without stress, doesn't matter what scheme we run. The bad thing is that our DL is veteran. Young DL next year won't help things.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If you let a QB stand and pick his receiver without stress, doesn't matter what scheme we run. The bad thing is that our DL is veteran. Young DL next year won't help things.

I was very disappointed the coaches didn't give Alburtis, B. Johnson and Reumpolhamer more snaps against A&M. Might as well give them a shot to show what they have. We need to start building for the future. Otherwise Chizik/Bolt better have some stud JUCOs ready to come in here next year.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Our defense is painfully, painfully slow as a whole. Man to man would be a disaster, even more so than the disaster that is our passing defense. Our Dline is too slow to chase down any QB, our LB's can't keep up with TE's let alone WR's, our defense is sorely missing athletes.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Seemed like A&M had about 2 different plays they ran that got them about 230 passing yards. There was a WR drag across the middle and seam route. The middle of the ISU defense has looked absolutely awful in the passing game the last few weeks, how can they change up the zone to stop some of these plays?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
It starts with our complete inability to put any pressure on the passer. Anyone that knows even a little about football knows teams that struggle on the defensive line often run some sort of zone in the secondary.

If we want to get better on defense, we need quicker defensive linemen.

A lot of truth here. Did the A&M qb even hit the ground behind the LOS once tonight?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
A lot of truth here. Did the A&M qb even hit the ground behind the LOS once tonight?

Jesse Smith laid the lumber to him a couple of times. Each time he was a step too late, and each time, the A$M QB threw to a receiver in the zone that Jesse had to vacate to blitz.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
To tell you the truth, we got toasted just about every time we were in man to man tonight.... without pressure thats whats gonna happen

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I was very disappointed the coaches didn't give Alburtis, B. Johnson and Reumpolhamer more snaps against A&M. Might as well give them a shot to show what they have. We need to start building for the future. Otherwise Chizik/Bolt better have some stud JUCOs ready to come in here next year.

Ruempolhamer started. Not much more you can ask out of him right now.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Call me crazy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a Cover-2 is by definition a zone defense--we just don't have the safeties to run it well yet. So, in the meantime, the corners who will be around next season get practice for when will.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why is the slot WR always open? They cover him with a LB and slow safety, he finds the seam and gets good yards, play after play, game after game. When they go nickel and have a DB man on man it messes up the QB and what they want to do. Why not try something like playing with 1 safety and 3 CBs, or play with 2 LBs and 5 DBs? Whats it going to hurt? Its not like this D can can stop anyone.

tysforcy

Sep 3, 2008
Des Moines
Honestly, all night long they split our safeties to the sidelines and attacked the middle behind the linebackers, i've never seen such a lack of adjustment! it was sickening to play so much better offensively just to watch that terrible of a defensive game...come on guys!

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Call me crazy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a Cover-2 is by definition a zone defense--we just don't have the safeties to run it well yet. So, in the meantime, the corners who will be around next season get practice for when will.
Cover 2 doesn't have to be a full zone. Cover 2 refers to the coverage scheme of the safeties, they each cover half the field, but you can play man underneath them however. But your right about us not having the safeties... or CB's, or LB's, or DL to run it well.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
But your right about us not having the safeties... or CB's, or LB's, or DL to run it well.

Well, one of the starting corners was a high school quarterback a year ago...and two of the three linebackers might not be bad for a cover-2. :wideeyed: