Zone Read

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Last night you could really tell the difference in how the zone read is run from the two quarterbacks. When Barnett went down right before halftime and Steele went in, you could tell how ineffective the zone read was with him running it. I noticed about two situations when he should have kept the ball, instead of giving it to Woody.

Maybe, though, because of his foot and because it was almost halftime, in that situation he was just told to make it an automatic give.

Thinking back to the Iowa game, when Steele probably had his best game running the zone read, and then thinking to how Barnett has run the zone read so far, I don't know who runs it better...

Is a HEALTHY Steele Jantz better at running the zone read than Jared Barnett????

Last nights rushing performance was amazing!!!!

Just keep winning!!!!

Go State!

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think you already hit it with your post, I'm betting that Steele was told to hand it off every time regardless of what the DE did. Even doing that is better than just doing a straight handoff play as it at least makes the defense have to think about another option.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Almost all the run plays the last 3 years have been zone reads. How are some of you just now knowing that? Austen and Barnett run the zone read very well, where as Jerome and Steele are not very good at running it. The difference is that AA and JB knew/know when to hand the ball off or keep it by watching the play after the snap, where JT and SJ have their minds made up pre snap. Steele has not ran the zone read very well all year.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
There is no comparison of who is better at this. Barnett ran in all through high school and knows the reads, Steele came from a pass happy offense and is not near as good at it.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Almost all the run plays the last 3 years have been zone reads. How are some of you just now knowing that? Austen and Barnett run the zone read very well, where as Jerome and Steele are not very good at running it. The difference is that AA and JB knew/know when to hand the ball off or keep it by watching the play after the snap, where JT and SJ have their minds made up pre snap. Steele has not ran the zone read very well all year.

I agree with that statement, BESIDES the Iowa game. It looked real good then.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
So have we been running a zone read all year or did we change our offense when JB came in? I've heard some say we weren't running a zone read offense, more of a spread -- however it could have just been poor reads by SJ.

Another unrelated observation I've made is that it seemed like the dumb offensive penalties were systematic early in the year. Just too many of those calls to be bone-headedness, almost like some guys didn't know how to interpret the playcalls or what. Didn't see that last night (at least in the 2nd half that I watched).

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I've heard some say we weren't running a zone read offense, more of a spread

:twitcy:

Spread is the type of offense (Spread, west coast, triple option, pro-style to name a few). The zone read is a play (zone read, dive, toss, trap, lead, counter, etc.)

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Especially since Steele has been hurt...he just handed it off almost everytime which doesn't make any sense!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
IMO JB just looks like he's more suited for this type of offense, while SJ was kind of adapting to fit it. I thought with the exception of the Iowa game Steele always looked hurried. JB looks a bit more patient and much more content running when the play breaks down, that may mean less big plays but its probably safer. I will say Jantz didn't make bad decisions when he ran, he just coughed up the ball too much.

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
Last night you could really tell the difference in how the zone read is run from the two quarterbacks. When Barnett went down right before halftime and Steele went in, you could tell how ineffective the zone read was with him running it. I noticed about two situations when he should have kept the ball, instead of giving it to Woody.

Maybe, though, because of his foot and because it was almost halftime, in that situation he was just told to make it an automatic give.

Thinking back to the Iowa game, when Steele probably had his best game running the zone read, and then thinking to how Barnett has run the zone read so far, I don't know who runs it better...

Is a HEALTHY Steele Jantz better at running the zone read than Jared Barnett????

I assumed Jantz almost always made the handoff on the zone option was because that is what he was coached to do. I thought the coaching staff was concerned about Steele's durability and the lack of an adequate backup.

Obviously my assumption about the lack of an adequate backup was way off base.