Leach Fired

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Since he was fired with cause, I assume that means he gets nothing? Not even the 400,000 a year? This will be ugly to say the least for Tech, I think Leach will come out the winner if there is one.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Welcome back to mediocrity, Texas Tech! Enjoy your stay, and congratulations to some lucky yet crappy team looking for a new head coach. You just won the lottery.

I've said before that you couldn't pay me to go to another football game in Lubbock, Texas. If they fall as far as I think they could, I might have to reconsider...

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
here proved my point on the 800k

Mike Leach fired by Texas Tech - Sporting News staff reports - College Football - Sporting News

Mike Leach has been fired as head football coach at Texas Tech, according to reports.
Leach allegedly twice forced receiver Adam James, after James was diagnosed with a slight concussion, to stand in a small, dark place while the rest of the team practiced. James is the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James.
Leach's lawyer, Ted Liggett, contends that Leach did noting wrong in how Adam James was treated.
After being suspended by Texas Tech, Leach filed a temporary restraining order that would have allowed him to coach the team in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2.
Some observers believe that Texas Tech administrators were looking for an excuse to fire Leach and used the alleged mistreatment of James to justify his dismissal.
Besides the allegations around James, there have been no other allegations of malicious conduct concerning Leach. There are also reports that Leach is due an $800,000 bonus if he is still the Red Raiders' coach on December 31.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...es-leach-james-allegation-will-just-be-excuse

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
Details of what, though?

Tech needs to have details come out to back their side of this.

While I think Leach may have let his feelings about the player's "attitude" and father's interference affect his decision making regarding this concussion thing - I can't for the life of me figure how Tech thinks this warrants termination with cause.

I believe that ESPN said yesterday that Leach's contract only pays $400K per remaining year for termination - out of a 5 yr, 12.? million contract. That's quite a difference in checks. How does Leach sign that? Have a contract for 12M+, but you can terminate me and only pay perhaps 2 million of that?

Tech is trying to get away with not paying him a dime - hence the reason it says "fired with cause." Most contracts have a clause that if the coach is fired "with cause" (aka recruiting violation, committing a crime, etc) they don't owe the coach anything. Ohio St tried this with Jim O'Brien a few years ago and lost. Tech will lose this one too, but I guess they just hope a settlement will be better than paying him $800k on Fri.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The guy is going to land on his feet quickly. My guess is he probably regrets not taking a harder look at Louisville or Cincinnati.

Texas Tech's AD just signed the death letter of their football program. What an idiot. Lubbock makes Ames look like paradise.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Except Leach was doing great things for TT, and Danny Mac had peaked.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Deja Vu! Replace TT with ISU, and Leach with McCarney and it's 2006 all over again!

At what point was McCarney a win away from a NC birth? McCarney also did have a specialized offensive system with very specific needs. This is quite a bit difference. We were mediocre, they were teetering on the brink of excellence.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I liked TT mostly because of Leach. I hope they suck perpetually now.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
The guy is going to land on his feet quickly. My guess is he probably regrets not taking a harder look at Louisville or Cincinnati.

Texas Tech's AD just signed the death letter of their football program. What an idiot. Lubbock makes Ames look like paradise.

Colorado???

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I wont be shocked when someone like Gus Malzahn gets the TT job and they are still good next year. Either way, this is still good for ISU. ISU plays TT in week 5 at home next year. They should still be adjusting to a new system.

I hope that TT loses their entire roster to transfers. Those players LOVE Leach and hopefully they all bolt.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I wonder if Bob Knight will speak up on this?

This was posted on Hawkeye Nation:

Does anyone else find it funny that they fired Leach for having "issues" with a player(s), yet they hired Bobby Knight who was fired from his previous job for having "issues" with a player(s)?

Last edited:

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
At this rate, would anyone be surprised if the Junction Boys decided to go after the corpse of Bear Bryant?

What he did was a little wrong, but some of these kids are just panzies.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
At what point was McCarney a win away from a NC birth? McCarney also did have a specialized offensive system with very specific needs. This is quite a bit difference. We were mediocre, they were teetering on the brink of excellence.

Not the point. The point is that it is silly to think there is NO ONE that can do (or exceed) what any particular coach has done at a school. There is always going to be someone who can do it.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
This calls for a good bell ringing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4XS3XtZQ]YouTube - texas tech bell ringer[/ame]

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
If I were Forida, I'd have Leach on the phone ASAP. They can'y expect to bring in quality kids with Meyer being wish washy (for a good reason that is).