What's The problem with Colvin?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No one knows for sure, well 21 will claim he knows but won't tell. Pretty much everything is speculation.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Sounds like he is an immature baby that is mad about playing time. He has had character issues in the past (I believe his high school coach suspended him for awhile) and it looks like a lot of those "issues" are still with him.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Sounds like he is an immature baby that is mad about playing time. He has had character issues in the past (I believe his high school coach suspended him for awhile) and it looks like a lot of those "issues" are still with him.

BINGO!!!! He feels he deserves vs earning his way on the court

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bench him for two games and play Buckley. Not a big drop off there IMO. If he sticks around great, let him earn his way back on the court. If he bolts, we are better off without him anyway. The kid is simply not good enough to justify his baggage.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Bench him for two games and play Buckley. Not a big drop off there IMO. If he sticks around great, let him earn his way back on the court. If he bolts, we are better off without him anyway. The kid is simply not good enough to justify his baggage.

really, you want to let the only freshman that sees the floor to bolt? He actually has some talent, just needs the game to slow down for him. If you push him out, you cut off your ties to Chicago and you start the rebuilding process all over again. Year 5 is Year 1 is UNEXCEPTABLE!!!!

I agree that Buckley should be on the court also, I would like to see the two deeps at guard be: DG / Scott C. and Buck / Colvin. Lucca if he sees the court can back up Gilstrap.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
really, you want to let the only freshman that sees the floor to bolt? He actually has some talent, just needs the game to slow down for him. If you push him out, you cut off your ties to Chicago and you start the rebuilding process all over again. Year 5 is Year 1 is UNEXCEPTABLE!!!!

I agree that Buckley should be on the court also, I would like to see the two deeps at guard be: DG / Scott C. and Buck / Colvin. Lucca if he sees the court can back up Gilstrap.

Yes, if he wouldn't stick with the team after being benched for 2 games, then we are better off without him. No question about that.

Plus, I am not convinced that we aren't better off with Buck at the point rather than CC.

And for God's sake, Lucca is clearly the best option at the 2 guard for us, it's not even close. He changes the game with his shooting.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
And for God's sake, Lucca is clearly the best option at the 2 guard for us, it's not even close. He changes the game with his shooting.

How many did he score against Duke? How is his defense? How about his ball handling skills? You can't have a your 2 guard disappear as soon as someone can play some defense. He can shoot, I give him that - however he can't create a shot or work off screens, the only way he scores is if the defense forgets about him and he is wide open.

Reactions: GeronimusClone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You can't have a your 2 guard disappear as soon as someone can play some defense. He can shoot, I give him that - however he can't create a shot or work off screens, the only way he scores is if the defense forgets about him and he is wide open.

Unfortunately for ISU, Big 12 defenses usually don't forget...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

If it's true that he walked out of the lockerroom after the game, I agree with you. I'd also check with your captains (which are, I think Lucca, Craig, and DG) and get their opinion on how it should be handled.

The coaching staff has been very fair with Chris's playing time this year.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If he bolts, we are better off without him anyway.

I've heard that repeatedly the last few years, whenever anyone leaves. Unfortunately its not true. Just take a look at our record. Attrition has killed our basketball program. Gmac's inability to keep his recruits in his program has been our downfall.

If it happens, it happens. Probably won't be a huge effect this year, but we would be losing our future point guard, and a talented one.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I'm starting to wonder what type of recruiting method McDermott is using. Is he going out and promising 30 minutes of playing time per game to everybody just to get them to come here. We have had a number of guys who have transferred within the first year - Vette, Brister, Mann, Eikmeier among others - plus Colvin and Dendy who don't seem too happy right now. There seems to be a big disconnect between what the players are expecting and reality.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I thought it was the players up until this one.
Wes Johnson, Colvin, Mike Taylor/Cory McCintosh. At some point it quits becomming the player and it becomes the coach.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
How many did he score against Duke? How is his defense? How about his ball handling skills? You can't have a your 2 guard disappear as soon as someone can play some defense. He can shoot, I give him that - however he can't create a shot or work off screens, the only way he scores is if the defense forgets about him and he is wide open.

Isn't it the coaching staff's job to teach him how to work off screens??? Anyone can learn to do that but not everyone can become the shooter he is. 1 shot against Duke is insain, and that's on the coaches. Those guys make zero worthwhile adjustments and have been badly outcoached in ALL of our losses, and even some of our wins.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I've heard that repeatedly the last few years, whenever anyone leaves. Unfortunately its not true. Just take a look at our record. Attrition has killed our basketball program. Gmac's inability to keep his recruits in his program has been our downfall.

If it happens, it happens. Probably won't be a huge effect this year, but we would be losing our future point guard, and a talented one.
If he isn't willing to be a team player, he'll never be a good basketball player. You can't win games with 1 guy. Need all 5.
I'm starting to wonder what type of recruiting method McDermott is using. Is he going out and promising 30 minutes of playing time per game to everybody just to get them to come here. We have had a number of guys who have transferred within the first year - Vette, Brister, Mann, Eikmeier among others - plus Colvin and Dendy who don't seem too happy right now. There seems to be a big disconnect between what the players are expecting and reality.
You gotta remember that all these players have ever gotten is smoke blown up their ***. They've been the best they've played against for years now and expect everything to be handed to them.

Perhaps you should do some research on the players you listed. Although Vette's "homesick" excuse I call BS on, Mann wanted playing time which the staff told him would be a struggle to get here, Brister had a knocked up girlfriend in Texas, Eikmeier didn't want to put the work in to get bigger, and Colvin seems to think he's entitled to whatever he wants.
I thought it was the players up until this one.
Wes Johnson, Colvin, Mike Taylor/Cory McCintosh. At some point it quits becomming the player and it becomes the coach.

Wes was tampered with (hence why he was conditionally released from his scholly), Colvin thinks he's everything, and Mike Taylor got the boot so that's a BIG difference. Wasn't Cory a Wayne transfer or am I mistaken there?

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Yes, if he wouldn't stick with the team after being benched for 2 games, then we are better off without him. No question about that.

Plus, I am not convinced that we aren't better off with Buck at the point rather than CC.

No way. Christopherson can do everything Lucca can (maybe a slight drop off in shooting), but he can dribble, pass and defend better. Lucca should not be starting.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wes was tampered with (hence why he was conditionally released from his scholly), Colvin thinks he's everything, and Mike Taylor got the boot so that's a BIG difference. Wasn't Cory a Wayne transfer or am I mistaken there?

No Cory was Gmacs first recruit. Also there is always an excuse why our best players are leaving. At some point it has to not be the players.