Whitney Williams transferring

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Bill has shown his program is strong enough to work through these things. We'll be fine.

This. BF has a proven track record of success at Iowa State as well as a proven track record of bringing in players capable of playing at the Big XII level. He will do just fine replacing Whit although it sucks to see her go. She was really starting to turn the corner into becoming a great player here.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I think the NCAA needs to do something to make it a lot less desirable for these athletes to transfer. I'm not sure what should be done, but it just seems to be too commonplace now. There seems to be no commitment any more at all.

I think the school they are transferring from should come with a dollar amount that the school has put into the athlete (scholarship, training, medical, etc...) and the school the athlete is transferring to should have to pay it.

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
I think the NCAA needs to do something to make it a lot less desirable for these athletes to transfer. I'm not sure what should be done, but it just seems to be too commonplace now. There seems to be no commitment any more at all.

Respectfully disagree. IMHO, it doesn't make any more sense to force an unhappy player to stay than it does to force an unhappy coach to stay.

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
...BF himself has admitted to "coaching harder" the past couple seasons, and it may be responsible for the transfers. It may also be responsible for the NCAA Tournament success. It may be a catch-22.

This seems like a pretty fair guess to me.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Respectfully disagree. IMHO, it doesn't make any more sense to force an unhappy player to stay than it does to force an unhappy coach to stay.

I agree with this...

IMO, it's lack of accountability at a younger age....Probably from various places, AAU, parents, coaches...Whatever. Lack of understanding the difference between constructive criticism and personal attack.

Last edited:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I would guess (and it's just that, a guess) that given the 15 scholarships in womens bball transfers are all the more common because a coach can recruit more talented kids for whom there simply isn't playing time available.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

I understand what you are saying, but it has become all too frequent. I'm not saying you "force" anyone to do anything.......but I think you can make the option of transferring a lot less attractive to them. It just seems to be too easy. You would think that sitting out a year would be enough of a deterrent, but obviously it is not.

Whatever happened to commitment?

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
BF was pretty rough on Whit this year. She was a starter for most of the non-conference. When she got benched and came in as the 6th player, she would quickly get pulled after a mistake and sent to the bench, sometimes until late in the game. Although, that is not too uncommon for BF, that does have to be hard on a players psyche. Also, she has stated that she does not like the cold weather!

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Not really worried about being creditable...It is, what is...Opinions are already formed.

Can you do me a favor...Breakdown this list into which transfers are the player's fault and which transfers are the coaches' fault?
I would love to see something like this over a longer time frame, and including McDermott's tenure here. Preferably in another thread. If anyone is feeling overly ambitious, there's a task for you.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I would love to see something like this over a longer time frame, and including McDermott's tenure here. Preferably in another thread. If anyone is feeling overly ambitious, there's a task for you.

Going back to Floyd was very difficult to find information..So going back farther for transfer information, would almost be impossible for anybody other than the actual coach at the time.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have posted in the past that I didn't think WW had the necessary talent to play in the Big 12. However, she was committed to the program, stayed in Ames over the summers, worked hard on her conditioning, etc. She was not very quick for someone her size, and teams would go right at her when we were on D.
I'm sure WW and her family wondered about her role when Stuckey, who has zero offensive skills (it's like playing 4 on 5) took her starting job. Even against Green Bay, Stuckey played 37 minutes, while WW played 16. Against UConn WW played hardly at all.
Mred is correct; players go through a lot to play for Fennelly. Even his own daughter-in-law, Medders, had problems with it. So when you're coming off the bench for just a few minutes a game, and see no
hope of starting again, it's natural to take stock of your future.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
BF is not an easy coach to play for (especially if you are a PG). The transfers this year and last indicate maybe he needs to learn to tone that down.

Or not. Let's not question Bill Fennelly please. He does more with less talent than any other Womens basketball coach in the country, IMO. He is able to do that because of discipline.

Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have posted in the past that I didn't think WW had the necessary talent to play in the Big 12. However, she was committed to the program, stayed in Ames over the summers, worked hard on her conditioning, etc. She was not very quick for someone her size, and teams would go right at her when we were on D.
I'm sure WW and her family wondered about her role when Stuckey, who has zero offensive skills (it's like playing 4 on 5) took her starting job. Even against Green Bay, Stuckey played 37 minutes, while WW played 16. Against UConn WW played hardly at all.
Mred is correct; players go through a lot to play for Fennelly. Even his own daughter-in-law, Medders, had problems with it. So when you're coming off the bench for just a few minutes a game, and see no
hope of starting again, it's natural to take stock of your future.

No hope of starting? We just lost both guards that started in front of her.:confused:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Or not. Let's not question Bill Fennelly please. He does more with less talent than any other Womens basketball coach in the country, IMO. He is able to do that because of discipline.

This. By all appearances it looks like 99.9% of his players really enjoy playing for him.

Wcloneswin

Apr 20, 2006
Doughboy Deace will be ripping BF like he's been doing to Mac on a daily basis if this keeps up!!:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron