Whitney Williams transferring

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Not really.

Most went to mid-major D-1 or dropped down to D-2. None have had any remarkable individual or team success, that I can recall.

Other than Rachel Pierson at DePaul, I don't recall a single ISU player leaving for another high-major school. Pierson has continued to battle injuries there and is petitioning for a sixth season.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Other than Rachel Pierson at DePaul, I don't recall a single ISU player leaving for another high-major school. Pierson has continued to battle injuries there and is petitioning for a sixth season.

Most of the players that have left were 10th or lower in the rotation. That's the problem with having 15 scholarships and being "persuaded" to use them all on a fairly regular basis. You end up taking fliers on the Yackleys and Rockalls of the world because you have to.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I for one think BF has been harder on WW than anyone. He rode her hard this year, and some of the looks he gave her were downright nasty with his chin jutting out. As MRed has said, I want BF to retire here. I worship the man. But he could take something out of Geno's book on how to challenge and motivate players without being nasty. As someone who's family is strongly grounded in the Christian faith, as Whitney's is, I can see where some of the things BF says might not rub real well with Whitney's family. She was home schooled for a reason.

Or perhaps we are all wrong in assuming that it was WW decision. Perhaps in her meeting with BF they had a discussion about the future, and both agreed it would be best for her to look elsewhere. Perhaps he has known about this for a while and that is why we are hearing of the JUCO shooter recruits all of a sudden.

I have faith in Fennelly, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with his tactics when he loses his temper and says things I know I wouldn't want any man to say to my child.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
So noted TRB. WW must be a well-grounded in her faith and this may have played into her transfer.

If nothing other than expecting the most out his players, Bill's breaking eggs to make an omelet his way, may not be the absolute best approach (apparently as far we can conjecture at this point) for WW.

Geno's successful approach has to be examined and wholly or parts taken to see if it may work for other coaches. Has Geno had some transfers but his winning ways masking such? (Go Stanford!)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I for one think BF has been harder on WW than anyone. He rode her hard this year, and some of the looks he gave her were downright nasty with his chin jutting out. As MRed has said, I want BF to retire here. I worship the man. But he could take something out of Geno's book on how to challenge and motivate players without being nasty. As someone who's family is strongly grounded in the Christian faith, as Whitney's is, I can see where some of the things BF says might not rub real well with Whitney's family. She was home schooled for a reason.

Or perhaps we are all wrong in assuming that it was WW decision. Perhaps in her meeting with BF they had a discussion about the future, and both agreed it would be best for her to look elsewhere. Perhaps he has known about this for a while and that is why we are hearing of the JUCO shooter recruits all of a sudden.

I have faith in Fennelly, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with his tactics when he loses his temper and says things I know I wouldn't want any man to say to my child.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Asking for help....I don't like being clueless. Will you help me?

Yes, I will help you. What would you like help on? Further, I am still waiting for my answer or explanation. I assumed that you would avoid the question and never answer it. Instead you just deflect, like always.

If you cannot give a rational, well thought out reason than I have to assume you have none and are just blindly following. If you are doing that, no one should give any credence to what you say.

Finally, if you have any other questions or need something explained please feel free to PM as I will be happy to help you.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I get this feeling that BF and WW sat down and talked about expectations for next year. That lead to the decision to transfer. If there was any significant doubt that she would have a major role with the new guards coming in, she might have decided it was not worth it and would rather play more fun. Her choice of schools will say a lot. Don't be suprised when she shows up at a D-II or NAIA Christian school somewhere.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I agree with your points on motiviation tactics. I've never been a fan of the nasty verbal beatdown approach.

I do disagree with one sentiment that you and mred have stated. I appreciate what BF has done for the program as far as wins go, but if it ever gets to the point where it would be better for the program if BF moved on, I choose the program over the coach.

And another point...it was mentioned in a post earlier that BF's player "template" may lead to recruiting less talented players that have to be coached up. Maybe it's time to break the template and start going after the talent. If "coaching up" regularly requires the coach to lose his temper and verbally berate the players, that's not good for the health of the coach, the players, or the program...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I get this feeling that BF and WW sat down and talked about expectations for next year. That lead to the decision to transfer. If there was any significant doubt that she would have a major role with the new guards coming in, she might have decided it was not worth it and would rather play more fun. Her choice of schools will say a lot. Don't be suprised when she shows up at a D-II or NAIA Christian school somewhere.

my hunch is TCU. Faith based school, and close to home. Believe she had an offer there originally. Would fit TCU's system well.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
it was mentioned in a post earlier that BF's player "template" may lead to recruiting less talented players that have to be coached up. Maybe it's time to break the template and start going after the talent.

Bill's "template" has led to 11 NCAA and 2 WNIT appearances in the past 14 years. Why does it need to be broken?

Did you hear the Butler coach's postgame last night? He said they would continue to recruit to who they are, and not change their formula just because of this year's run.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Bill's "template" has led to 11 NCAA and 2 WNIT appearances in the past 14 years. Why does it need to be broken?

Did you hear the Butler coach's postgame last night? He said they would continue to recruit to who they are, and not change their formula just because of this year's run.

Yeah but, how much longer will he be there?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

if we are happy with sweet sixteens, nothing.

if we want a final four, we need athlete + system. I do think we are starting to see more of this.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

ADJP's goals are to win conference championships. How many of those have there been recently? Three of the the last four seasons have also ended with 20+ point losses in the NCAA tourney.

Well, Bulter made it to the national championship game...why would they change how they recruit? ISU WBB isn't quite there yet...

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Why does everyone assume that when a player leaves it's because Fennelly yelled too much? You make it sound like the players didn't know they were going to be yelled at when they signed to play with him.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ADJP's goals are to win conference championships. How many of those have there been recently? Three of the the last four seasons have also ended with 20+ point losses in the NCAA tourney.

Sweet 16s also account for a big chunk of Director's Cup points, which is something JP has been pushing the whole time.

Stanford and Connecticut are the two best teams in the country. There haven't been very many teams who have kept it under 20 against them.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I would love to see something like this over a longer time frame, and including McDermott's tenure here. Preferably in another thread. If anyone is feeling overly ambitious, there's a task for you.

W.Johnson and Hamilton (likely) are the only two GMac players who transferred to other high=major programs. The other transfers were due to academics (Taylor, Dunson) or they were recruiting mistakes (the vast majority fall into this category).

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I agree with your points on motiviation tactics. I've never been a fan of the nasty verbal beatdown approach.

I do disagree with one sentiment that you and mred have stated. I appreciate what BF has done for the program as far as wins go, but if it ever gets to the point where it would be better for the program if BF moved on, I choose the program over the coach.

And another point...it was mentioned in a post earlier that BF's player "template" may lead to recruiting less talented players that have to be coached up. Maybe it's time to break the template and start going after the talent. If "coaching up" regularly requires the coach to lose his temper and verbally berate the players, that's not good for the health of the coach, the players, or the program...

Well said

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Why does everyone assume that when a player leaves it's because Fennelly yelled too much? You make it sound like the players didn't know they were going to be yelled at when they signed to play with him.

You didn't hear that from me. I've played pickup ball with WW, and have also been around her when I work the BF camps - I would be very surprised if she's transferring because of BF's yelling. She's not a fragile gal.
And yes, you're right - when Fennelly brings recruits in, he "opens up" the entire program to them, including having current players talk about BF's yelling and temper.
I've already posted that I think it's about her future role, and I'm sticking to that.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
IMO, BF has done a great job, I don't think that means you can't comment on some of the aspects of the program that make you go hmmm....but lets give credit where credit is due - he built the program attendance, he has won and exceeded expectations many times over, thinking we could do better or need to make a change to get the "next level" is kind of like those Hawk basketball fans getting tired of just making the tournmament or sweet sixteens and bringing the Hair Spray in to take them to the next level. didn't work out so great for them and there is no reason to think our situation with WBB would be any different - I will take post season nearly every year, sweet sixteen's and an occasional elite 8 apearance as success for our program. More importantly, I will take my kids to WBB's games and have fun knowing we are going to see a good game from a well coached team.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
And yes, you're right - when Fennelly brings recruits in, he "opens up" the entire program to them, including having current players talk about BF's yelling and temper.

I'm not going to disagree with what you posted, since I've never met WW and have no inside knowledge of her situation. I'll just say there's probably a big difference between hearing about BF yelling and seeing him yell at other people, and actually having him yell at you day after day.